Water tank conservation of energy approach

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
53 replies · 7K views
sg001 said:
ok so dR =(dr*dm)/(M+m-dm)

But then how would I integrate that??
doesnt it have to many terms in it?

You didn't take advantage of the fact that L = dr + dR in order to eliminate dr. Take the initial expression and replace dr right away.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
gneill said:
You didn't take advantage of the fact that L = dr + dR in order to eliminate dr. Take the initial expression and replace dr right away.

Ok so I have dR= ((L-dR)dm)/(M+m-dm)

So integrating

R=∫((L-dR)dm)/(M+m-dm)

But how do I integrate that?
I still have to many terms?
 
sg001 said:
Ok so I have dR= ((L-dR)dm)/(M+m-dm)
You haven't isolated dR. It still appears on both sides of the expression.
 
gneill said:
You haven't isolated dR. It still appears on both sides of the expression.

I am aware but from the eqn's

dR +dr = L & (M+m-dm)dR=dr(dm)

You can't isolate dR without introducing dr...
am I missing something?
 
sg001 said:
I am aware but from the eqn's

dR +dr = L & (M+m-dm)dR=dr(dm)

You can't isolate dR without introducing dr...
am I missing something?

It's just algebra. Replace dr using dr = L - dR. Move everything to the L.H.S. Expand and collect all the dR terms together. Rearrange with dR alone on the L.H.S.
 
Rethinking it a bit, a simpler approach would be to let M be the total original mass of the tank plus water. You want to move a quantity m of that total mass (representing the water) through the pipe. Then

##(M - dm)dR = dm\;dr ~~~~## and as before, ##~~dr = L - dR##

##dR = L \frac{dm}{M}##

Integration is trivial, with limits 0 → m

##R = \frac{m}{M}L ##
 
gneill said:
Rethinking it a bit, a simpler approach would be to let M be the total original mass of the tank plus water. You want to move a quantity m of that total mass (representing the water) through the pipe. Then

##(M - dm)dR = dm\;dr ~~~~## and as before, ##~~dr = L - dR##

##dR = L \frac{dm}{M}##

Integration is trivial, with limits 0 → m

##R = \frac{m}{M}L ##

Ok so now the eqn for the distance traveled x = R=∫m/M *L with limits 0 &m

and final velocity =0.

Thanks!
 
sg001 said:
Ok so now the eqn for the distance traveled x = R=∫m/M *L with limits 0 &m
That's R=∫(L/M)*dm
and final velocity =0.

Thanks!
 
sg001 said:
Thanks for the continuing help
Greatly appreciated.

We'll see... :smile:
I've decided to add some confusion back into the mix. Upon rethinking the rethinking, I've decided that the previous form of the integration makes more sense :frown:

At some time partway through the emptying of the tank, let's say that an amount x of the water has already gone down the pipe. That leaves the tank plus remaining water with mass M-x. It's this remaining mass for which we need to find the dR associated with the next dx that's moved.

##((M - x) - dx) dR = dx\;dr##

##((M - x) - dx) dR - dx (L - dR) = 0~~~~~## because ##dr = L - dR##

##dR = L \frac{dx}{M - x} ##

Integrate that for x going from 0 to m, the mass of water drained. M is still the mass of the tank plus the initial amount of water.

EDIT: Changed variable dm to dx in order to have it reflect that it's affecting x, the water that's being shifted.
 
Last edited:
gneill said:
We'll see... :smile:
I've decided to add some confusion back into the mix. Upon rethinking the rethinking, I've decided that the previous form of the integration makes more sense :frown:

At some time partway through the emptying of the tank, let's say that an amount x of the water has already gone down the pipe. That leaves the tank plus remaining water with mass M-x. It's this remaining mass for which we need to find the dR associated with the next dx that's moved.

##((M - x) - dx) dR = dx\;dr##

##((M - x) - dx) dR - dx (L - dR) = 0~~~~~## because ##dr = L - dR##

##dR = L \frac{dx}{M - x} ##


Integrate that for x going from 0 to m, the mass of water drained. M is still the mass of the tank plus the initial amount of water.

EDIT: Changed variable dm to dx in order to have it reflect that it's affecting x, the water that's being shifted.


ok so I have R = ∫L(dx/M-x) = ∫L (M-x)^-1 dx.

But then I have R= -L

Or could it be,,

R = -L(ln(M-x) + c

??
 
sg001 said:
ok so I have R = ∫L(dx/M-x) = ∫L (M-x)^-1 dx.

But then I have R= -L

Or could it be,,

R = -L(ln(M-x) + c

??

You need to plug in both limits (0 and m, the total mass of water drained).
 
sg001 said:
ok...
so x = R = (-L(ln(M-m)) - (-L(ln(M-0))

Pull out the L and combine the ln's.
 
sg001 said:
Finally...
x = R= -L(ln(M-m)-(M-0))

You need to check your log manipulation math. ln(x) - ln(y) ≠ ln(x - y).
 
gneill said:
You need to check your log manipulation math. ln(x) - ln(y) ≠ ln(x - y).

Ohh yeah My bad simple yet stupid mistake.

x= R = -L(ln(M-m)-ln(M-0))
 
sg001 said:
Ohh yeah My bad simple yet stupid mistake.

x= R = -L(ln(M-m)-ln(M-0))

Still review your log math operations; Those logs can be combined into a single log.
 
sg001 said:
woops

R = -L(ln((M-m)/(M-0)) = x

It can still be cleaned up some. Drop the zero and use the fact that -ln(b/a) = +ln(a/b).
 
gneill said:
It can still be cleaned up some. Drop the zero and use the fact that -ln(b/a) = +ln(a/b).

Ok so I have now

R = L (ln(M/M-m)) = x
 
sg001 said:
Ok so I have now

R = L (ln(M/M-m)) = x

That looks much neater.
 
gneill said:
That looks much neater.

Thanks again gneil!