Will My DIY Pipe Shelving Be Stable Enough?

In summary, the conversation discusses the plan to build shelving using 3/4" pipe and fittings in a 2 shelf system around a center pole at different heights. The shelves will hold between 5 and 100 lbs and the center pole will be bolted to a plywood base for stability. The speaker also mentions the importance of extending the base to ensure stability and suggests adding bracing against torsion for added support.
brnlow
I plan on building shelving using 3/4" pipe and fittings. The general design is a 2 shelf system -180 degrees from each other around a center pole at different heights. I plan on bolting the center pole to a plywood base. Each shelf will hold between 5 and 100 lbs. I want to make sure its stable. I think as long as the base extends longer than the shelves on each side I should be ok - am I right. Attached is a basic concept.

Attachments

• shelf concept.jpg
    shelf concept.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 387
Physics news on Phys.org
brnlow said:
I think as long as the base extends longer than the shelves on each side I should be ok - am I right.

Yes you are right. You might think about extending the base a bit on the side of the tallest shelf to improve stability against larger disturbances.

Torquil

brnlow said:
I plan on building shelving using 3/4" pipe and fittings. The general design is a 2 shelf system -180 degrees from each other around a center pole at different heights. I plan on bolting the center pole to a plywood base. Each shelf will hold between 5 and 100 lbs. I want to make sure its stable. I think as long as the base extends longer than the shelves on each side I should be ok - am I right. Attached is a basic concept.

I'm not convinced- there's no bracing against torsion, for example- either for the pole or the shelves.

1. How do you determine if a structure is stable?

To determine if a structure is stable, several factors must be considered, including the materials used, the design and construction methods, and the environmental conditions where the structure is located. Structural engineers use mathematical calculations, computer simulations, and physical testing to evaluate the stability of a structure.

2. What are some common signs of an unstable structure?

Some common signs of an unstable structure include cracks or gaps in the foundation or walls, sagging or uneven floors, leaning or bulging walls, and doors or windows that do not open or close properly. These signs may indicate a structural issue that needs to be addressed.

3. Can a structure become unstable over time?

Yes, a structure can become unstable over time due to various factors such as weathering, aging of materials, and changes in the surrounding environment. It is important for structures to undergo regular inspections and maintenance to prevent any potential stability issues.

4. What are some techniques used to improve the stability of a structure?

Some techniques used to improve the stability of a structure include adding additional support beams or columns, reinforcing weak areas with stronger materials, and implementing bracing or anchoring systems to distribute weight and resist external forces. In some cases, structural modifications may be necessary to ensure long-term stability.

5. Is it possible to make an unstable structure stable?

In most cases, yes, it is possible to make an unstable structure stable. However, the extent of the repairs or modifications needed will depend on the severity of the stability issue and the condition of the structure. It is best to consult with a structural engineer to determine the most effective and safe course of action for making a structure stable.