Is this the correct formula that im using for this question?

• Thread starter ImsoFly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the problem asks for the distance traveled by a toy rocket during the time it takes to accelerate from 12 m/s to 40 m/s in 5.0 seconds. To solve this, we can use the kinematic equations, specifically the one for distance (d=(1/2)*a*t^2 + vi*t), where a is the acceleration and vi is the initial velocity. We can also use the equation d=\frac{v_i+v_f}{2}\cdot t, where vf is the final velocity. These equations are commonly used in problems involving constant acceleration.
ImsoFly
1. Homework Statement
hi this is the problem: the burning of the second stage of a two stage toy rocket takes the rocket from 12 m/s to 40 m/s in 5.0s. How far does the rocket during this time?

2. Homework Equations
would i use delta t= delta v/a ? would the given info be.. delta v1= 17 m/s, delta v2=40m/s and delta t=5.0s... if this isn't the correct formula please correct me. thank u all!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
distance = (1/2)*a*t^2 + vi*t

where a = delta v / delta t

and vi is the initial velocity (12 m/s)

misterme09 said:
distance = (1/2)*a*t^2 + vi*t

where a = delta v / delta t

and vi is the initial velocity (12 m/s)
but the question asks for time

ImsoFly said:
but the question asks for time

No it doesnt.. it asks for distance! Firstly, work out the acceleration using your equation, then plug this along with initial velocity and time into the equation for distance given in post #2.

cristo said:
No it doesnt.. it asks for distance! Firstly, work out the acceleration using your equation, then plug this along with initial velocity and time into the equation for distance given in post #2.
what do you mean by working out the acceleration?

ImsoFly said:
what do you mean by working out the acceleration?

sorry, you'll just be going round in circles by doing that! you can use another of the "kinematic equations", namely [tex]d=\frac{v_i+v_f}{2}\cdot t[/tex].

Here's a link to the kinematic equations http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/Class/1DKin/U1L6a.html . These equations are normally the tools you need for questions involving a constant acceleration.

Last edited by a moderator:
cristo said:
sorry, you'll just be going round in circles by doing that! you can use another of the "kinematic equations", namely [tex]d=\frac{v_i+v_f}{2}\cdot t[/tex].

Here's a link to the kinematic equations http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/Class/1DKin/U1L6a.html . These equations are normally the tools you need for questions involving a constant acceleration.

kk, thanks a bunch:tongue2:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of using a formula in a scientific question?

The purpose of using a formula in a scientific question is to help solve for a specific variable or relationship between different variables. It allows for a more precise and systematic approach to finding a solution.

2. How do I know if the formula I am using is correct?

To determine if a formula is correct, you should first understand the variables and their relationships within the formula. Then, you can compare your formula to trusted sources, such as scientific textbooks or reputable websites. Additionally, you can test the formula by plugging in known values and seeing if it produces the expected result.

3. Can I use different formulas to solve the same problem?

Yes, there are often multiple formulas that can be used to solve the same problem. However, the choice of which formula to use may depend on the specific variables and relationships involved in the problem.

4. What should I do if I am unsure about using a particular formula?

If you are unsure about using a particular formula, you can consult with other scientists or experts in the field for their insights and recommendations. You can also do further research and experimentation to verify the accuracy of the formula.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using formulas in scientific questions?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when using formulas in scientific questions include using the wrong formula, inputting incorrect values, and not following the proper order of operations. It is important to double-check your work and be mindful of any assumptions or limitations of the formula being used.