Is this the proper method to find net force?

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of the law of cosines to find the net force using the formula c^2=a^2+b^2-2abcosC, with C representing the angle between the sides of the triangle. The conversation also touched on the use of the method of components to find the net force. After some confusion about the correct triangle to use, it was determined that the correct approach is to keep one force vector in place and move the other so that its tail touches the head of the first vector, creating a triangle representing the sum of the forces.
Kmcquiggan
Homework Statement
Calculate the net force acting on each object indicated in the following diagrams
Relevant Equations
sine law=sinA/a=sinB/b=sinC/c
c^2=a^2+b^2-2abcosC°1/2
c^2=a^2+b^2-2abcosC°1/2
= 32^2 =38^2 - 2(32)(38)cos35(0.5)
= 2468-995.904
= √1472.096
= 38.36 N

tanΘ= 32/38 tan= 0.842 = 40°
This is my attempt, I am not sure that I am understanding these formula right

Attachments

• 2019-05-27 (2).png
    2019-05-27 (2).png
    6 KB · Views: 249
Physics news on Phys.org
Kmcquiggan said:
c^2=a^2+b^2-2abcosC°1/2
= 32^2 =38^2 - 2(32)(38)cos35(0.5)
Looks like you're trying to use the law of cosines. (Correct the formula -- where did you get that 1/2?) To do that, you'll need to define your triangle and the angle between the sides of that triangle. (It's not 35 degrees.)

You can also use the method of components to find the net force.

I miss understood the formula that i was reading so I realize it doesn't need to be in there. As for the angle would I be adding the 35 degrees to the 90 angle or would I be using the 55 degrees? I am still struggling on which angle to be usuing

Why don't you draw the triangle that would represent ##\vec{a} + \vec{b}##.

I did and I am thinking that it needs to be the angle of 125 degrees with the other angles being 20 and 35 degrees. I could be doing this right or completely wrong, but I am doing this as correspondence and I have no professor to ask questions too so if i am way off can you explain where I am going wrong?

Please post a diagram of that triangle.

That is not the correct triangle. Do this: Keep the 32 N force where it is. Move the other force so that its tail touches the head of the other. (You can slide the force vector around as long as you don't change its direction or magnitude.) That way, you'll have a triangle representing the sum of those forces. Try it!

ok thank you

1. What is net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account all the individual forces acting on that object.

2. How do you calculate net force?

To calculate net force, you need to add up all the individual forces acting on the object. If the forces are acting in the same direction, you can simply add them together. If they are acting in opposite directions, you need to subtract the smaller force from the larger one to find the net force.

3. Why is it important to find the net force?

Finding the net force is important because it allows us to understand the overall effect of all the forces acting on an object. This information is crucial in predicting the motion of the object and determining whether it will accelerate, decelerate, or remain at a constant velocity.

4. What is the proper method to find net force?

The proper method to find net force is to first identify all the individual forces acting on the object. Then, calculate the magnitude and direction of each force. Finally, add up all the forces to find the net force acting on the object.

5. Can net force be zero?

Yes, net force can be zero. If all the individual forces acting on an object are balanced and cancel each other out, the net force will be zero and the object will remain at a constant velocity.