Is total flux linkage λ=dΨ*Ienclosed/I or λ=N*Ψ?

In summary, the formula dλ=dΨ * Ienclosed/I is used in Sadiku to calculate the total flux linkage for a coaxial cable with varying radii. However, this formula does not work for a solenoid, as the direction of current flow and internal magnetic field are different in a coaxial cable. This is due to the need for differently oriented areas when calculating fluxes. It is important to understand the definitions and representations of lenclosed and l when using this formula.
ElieMakdissi
Homework Statement
Calculate the flux linkage inside a coaxial cable
Relevant Equations
total flux linkage λ=dΨ*Ienclosed/I or λ=N*Ψ
In Sadiku, he used the formula dλ=dΨ * Ienclosed/I
to determine the total flux linkage for coaxial cable for ρ<a and for a<ρ<b, but I applied this formula for the solenoid and it didn't work, the way that works for the solenoid is by using λ=N*Ψ.

So why we multiply by Ienclosed/I in the coaxial cable?

Physics news on Phys.org
ElieMakdissi said:
Homework Statement: Calculate the flux linkage inside a coaxial cable
Relevant Equations: total flux linkage λ=dΨ*Ienclosed/I or λ=N*Ψ

In Sadiku, he used the formula dλ=dΨ * Ienclosed/I
to determine the total flux linkage for coaxial cable for ρ<a and for a<ρ<b, but I applied this formula for the solenoid and it didn't work, the way that works for the solenoid is by using λ=N*Ψ.

So why we multiply by Ienclosed/I in the coaxial cable?
I’m guessing (don’t have the textbook), but maybe this helps…

In a (long) solenoid, the direction of current-flow is around the axis; the direction of the internal magnetic field is parallel to the axis. The opposite applies in a coaxial cable. So you can’t apply results/equations for a solenoid to a coaxial cable. Differently oriented areas are needed when calculating fluxes.

Make sure you know exactly what ##l_{enclosed}## and ##l## represent.

1. What is total flux linkage?

Total flux linkage is a measure of the total amount of magnetic flux that passes through a specific area or circuit. It takes into account the strength of the magnetic field, the area of the circuit, and the angle at which the field passes through the circuit.

2. How is total flux linkage calculated?

The total flux linkage can be calculated using two different formulas: λ = dΨ*Ienclosed/I or λ = N*Ψ. The first formula takes into account the change in magnetic flux (dΨ) over time, the current (I) passing through the circuit, and the enclosed area (Ienclosed) within the circuit. The second formula uses the number of turns in the circuit (N) and the magnetic flux (Ψ) passing through each turn.

3. What is the difference between the two formulas for total flux linkage?

The main difference between the two formulas is that the first one takes into account the change in magnetic flux over time, while the second one does not. The first formula is more commonly used in situations where the magnetic flux is changing, while the second formula is used when the flux remains constant.

4. How does total flux linkage relate to Faraday's law of induction?

Total flux linkage is directly related to Faraday's law of induction, which states that the induced electromotive force (EMF) in a circuit is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the circuit. This means that as the total flux linkage changes, the induced EMF in the circuit will also change.

5. Can total flux linkage be negative?

Yes, total flux linkage can be negative. This can occur when the magnetic flux is decreasing over time, resulting in a negative change in flux (dΨ). In this case, the total flux linkage will also be negative, indicating a decrease in the induced EMF in the circuit.