1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is velocity something an object has or something object experiences?

1. Sep 10, 2005 #1
    And how about acceleration?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2005 #2
    I think Acceleration might be the easier one to answer so I'll start with that. The truth is both! Humans can experience acceleration (pilots can black out from "experiencing" 4+ Gs). If I have acceleration and so do you I may measure your acceleration to be relative to mine; you may experience 4G's but you may only "have" 2G's relative to me. Humans do not experience velocity; if you were in a box traveling at 100km/hr you wouldn’t actually know you were moving unless you were able to measure your velocity with respect to something else (visually). But then you would have to ask yourself,

“Am I moving or is it?”

As for objects I believe they fall under the same category as humans although a rock will not black out, but the individual atoms will experience acceleration.

Hope that answers your question.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2005
  4. Sep 11, 2005 #3
    That answers my question, thank you much M.Hamilton.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?