Isentropic efficiency of a pump

In summary, to find the isentropic efficiency of a pump, you need to use the formula effpump=(h4s-h3)/(h4-h3). To find the h4s value, you can use the NIST tables for compressed liquid at the given pressure (in this case, 6.0 MPa). Make sure to use the correct page for lower entropy values. Then, interpolate between the values of enthalpy and entropy at state 1 and state 2. Plug in all the values into the formula and you will get the isentropic efficiency of the pump.
jdawg

Homework Statement

Find the isentropic efficiency of the pump: effpump=(h4s-h3)/(h4-h3)

state 3: p3=1.5 bar, h3=467.11, x3=0, v3=1.0528/1000 m3/kg ,s3=1.4336 kJ/kg*K, T3=111.4 deg C

state 4: p4=60 bar, h4=474.14, compressed liquid
state 4s: p4=60 bar, s3=s4s

The values in red are the ones I wasn't given, I looked them up in the tables.
How do I find the h4s value?? I tried going to the compressed liquid tables and looking up the enthalpy at 60 bar, but my tables only have 50 bar and 75 bar. So am I supposed to interpolate between those two tables?

Do I need to find the temperatures at states 3 and 4 before I start trying to interpolate? I'm pretty lost on this problem.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• ts diag.png
    ts diag.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 737
Physics news on Phys.org
jdawg said:

Homework Statement

Find the isentropic efficiency of the pump: effpump=(h4s-h3)/(h4-h3)

state 3: p3=1.5 bar, h3=467.11, x3=0, v3=1.0528/1000 m3/kg ,s3=1.4336 kJ/kg*K, T3=111.4 deg C

state 4: p4=60 bar, h4=474.14, compressed liquid
state 4s: p4=60 bar, s3=s4s

The values in red are the ones I wasn't given, I looked them up in the tables.
How do I find the h4s value?? I tried going to the compressed liquid tables and looking up the enthalpy at 60 bar, but my tables only have 50 bar and 75 bar. So am I supposed to interpolate between those two tables?

Do I need to find the temperatures at states 3 and 4 before I start trying to interpolate? I'm pretty lost on this problem.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

25 bar sounds like a big step between tabular values, even for compressed liquid. I would recommend you get a better table to use for the values of compressed liquid at 60 bar.

The NIST publishes some good tables on-line for this very purpose:

http://www.nist.gov/srd/upload/NISTIR5078-Tab3.pdf

Try this table and see if it helps. If you have any further questions, please post them.

Likes jdawg
That table is a lot better! So s3=s4s=1.4336 kJ/kg*K. So I went and I looked at the 6MPa table and the lowest entropy value is 6.0703. I thought I could just find the entropy value of 1.4336 and find the corresponding enthalpy in that pressure table. Did I maybe look up the entropy at state 3 incorrectly?

jdawg said:
That table is a lot better! So s3=s4s=1.4336 kJ/kg*K. So I went and I looked at the 6MPa table and the lowest entropy value is 6.0703. I thought I could just find the entropy value of 1.4336 and find the corresponding enthalpy in that pressure table. Did I maybe look up the entropy at state 3 incorrectly?
You're looking at the wrong page. Go back to the previous page, and you'll find lower entropy values for compressed liquid at P = 6.0 MPa.

Likes jdawg
Oh ok! So I tried to interpolate between s1=1.4139 h1=465.68 and s2=1.4686 and h2=486.77
I found h4s=458.1

I plugged all my values into the isentropic efficiency formula and wound up with a negative percentage... Did I maybe interpolate incorrectly?

jdawg said:
Oh ok! So I tried to interpolate between s1=1.4139 h1=465.68 and s2=1.4686 and h2=486.77
I found h4s=458.1

I plugged all my values into the isentropic efficiency formula and wound up with a negative percentage... Did I maybe interpolate incorrectly?
Yes, you messed up. h = 458.1 is less than h = 465.68. The correct value for h is going to be between 465.68 and 486.77.

Hmm... What you said makes total sense. I keep getting 458.1 for my h4s value though.

y=y1+(x1-x)[(y2-y1)/(x2-x1)]
letting enthalpy=y and entropy=x
h4s=465.68+(1.4139-1.4336)[(486.77-465.68)/(1.4686-1.4139)]

I'm almost positive I'm using all the correct values...

Haha oops... I think it was my formula, let me see if that fixes it.

That was it! Thanks so much for your help!

Related to Isentropic efficiency of a pump

What is the definition of isentropic efficiency of a pump?

The isentropic efficiency of a pump is a measure of the pump's ability to convert the energy supplied to it into useful work. It is the ratio of the ideal work output to the actual work output of the pump, expressed as a percentage.

How is isentropic efficiency of a pump calculated?

The isentropic efficiency of a pump is calculated by dividing the ideal work output by the actual work output and multiplying by 100%. The ideal work output is calculated using the pump's inlet and outlet pressure and temperature, while the actual work output is determined through experimentation or by using manufacturer's data.

What factors affect the isentropic efficiency of a pump?

The isentropic efficiency of a pump can be affected by a number of factors, including the design and condition of the pump, the type and quality of the fluid being pumped, and the operating conditions such as flow rate and suction and discharge pressures. Other factors such as friction losses and leakage can also impact the efficiency of a pump.

Why is it important to consider the isentropic efficiency of a pump?

The isentropic efficiency of a pump is important because it can provide insight into the overall performance and energy efficiency of the pump. A lower efficiency means that the pump is using more energy to produce the same amount of work, resulting in higher operating costs. By considering the isentropic efficiency, engineers can make informed decisions on pump selection and operation to optimize energy usage and minimize costs.

Can the isentropic efficiency of a pump be improved?

Yes, the isentropic efficiency of a pump can be improved through various methods such as proper maintenance and regular servicing, selecting a pump with a higher efficiency rating, and optimizing the pump's operating conditions. Additionally, advancements in pump technology and design can also contribute to higher isentropic efficiency.