Isochoric and Isobaric (Ch.15 problem #26 Wiley+)

In summary: For the first point, (A to B), the work done is 5.3mol * 8.31 * 800K = 3.92JFor the second point, (B to C), the work done is 5.3mol * 8.31 * 800K - 1 = 2.39JFor the third point, (C to D), the work done is 5.3mol * 8.31 * 800K + 1 = 4.68JFor the fourth point, (D to A), the work done is 5.3mol * 8.31 * 800K = 3.92J
trinot

Homework Statement

Chapter 15, Problem 26

The drawing refers to 5.30 mol of a monatomic ideal gas and shows a process that has four steps, two isobaric (A to B, C to D) and two isochoric (B to C, D to A). (a) What is the work done from A to B? (b) What is the heat added or removed from B to C? (c) What is the change in internal energy from C to D? (d) What is the work done from D to A?

Homework Equations

W= nRT(Vf/Vi)

The Attempt at a Solution

W= 5.3mol * 8.31 * 800K *(Vf/Vi) this is where I am stick I don't know how to find the volume. I tried using V=nRT/P but I don't know the pressure?

Thanks in advance, the homework is due tonight.

Attachments

• ch15p_26.gif
    ch15p_26.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 483
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF trinot,
trinot said:
W= 5.3mol * 8.31 * 800K *(Vf/Vi) this is where I am stick I don't know how to find the volume. I tried using V=nRT/P but I don't know the pressure?
No you don't know the actual value of the pressure, but you know that it remains constant throughout the process :wink:

I am still not sure what to do, does this mean I can ignore it and just use V=nRT/P?

Thanks!

Hi trinot,

I believe you are using the wrong equation for the work done by the gas. For an isothermal process the work done by a gas is

[tex]
W = nRT \ln\left({\frac{V_f}{V_i}\right)
[/tex]

but these processes are not isothermal.

For an isochoric process the work done is zero; for an isobaric process the work done by the gas is

[tex]
W= P (V_f - V_i)
[/tex]

Since you know n and T for all four points on the graph you can find the values of ([itex]PV_f[/itex]) and ([itex]PV_i[/itex]).

1. What is the difference between isochoric and isobaric processes?

Isochoric and isobaric processes are two types of thermodynamic processes that describe how a system changes in response to heat, work, and external pressure. Isochoric processes occur at constant volume, meaning the system's volume remains unchanged during the process. On the other hand, isobaric processes occur at constant pressure, meaning the system's pressure remains constant throughout the process.

2. How are isochoric and isobaric processes represented on a thermodynamic diagram?

Isochoric processes are represented on a thermodynamic diagram by vertical lines, as the volume remains constant. Isobaric processes are represented by horizontal lines, as the pressure remains constant.

3. Is the internal energy of a system affected by an isochoric or isobaric process?

The internal energy of a system is affected by both isochoric and isobaric processes. In an isochoric process, the internal energy changes due to the transfer of heat, while in an isobaric process, it changes due to both heat transfer and work done by or on the system.

4. How do real-world systems differ from ideal systems in terms of isochoric and isobaric processes?

In ideal systems, isochoric and isobaric processes can occur without any energy loss or gain. However, in real-world systems, heat and energy can be lost due to factors such as friction and inefficiencies in the system.

5. What are some common examples of isochoric and isobaric processes?

An example of an isochoric process is a closed container where the volume remains constant as the gas inside is heated. An example of an isobaric process is a piston-cylinder system where the external pressure remains constant as the gas inside expands or contracts.