Isolating the Y variable in a Trigonometric Equation

In summary: That makes a lot of sense.So what would we call it if not a product? Just a typical function such as f(x) where we wouldn't be dividing the input of the function?Just call it a function. The expression "f(x)" does not mean "f times x", so it's definitely not a product. It's almost never the case that ##\frac 1 b f(x)## is equal to ##f(\frac 1 b x)##, so you generally can't "distribute" the factor ##\frac 1 b## to into the function.Sure, that makes sense.
opus
Gold Member

Homework Statement

##4y=cos\left(4πx+\frac{3}{2}\right)##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In dividing both sides by 4, I got:

##y=\frac{1}{4}cos\left(πx+\frac{3}{8}\right)## But I am told this is incorrect.
Not sure if dividing everything by 4 here is an allowable technique, or if I did it wrong, but I'm not sure where else to go other than isolating the y like this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually I think I got it. I tried dividing the LHS by 4 and ONLY the coefficient of cos on the RHS and that seemed to work. My algebra seems to go out the window when I see trig words, so why wouldn't I divide all factors on the RHS by 4?

opus said:

Homework Statement

##4y=cos\left(4πx+\frac{3}{2}\right)##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In dividing both sides by 4, I got:

##y=\frac{1}{4}cos\left(πx+\frac{3}{8}\right)## But I am told this is incorrect.
Not sure if dividing everything by 4 here is an allowable technique, or if I did it wrong, but I'm not sure where else to go other than isolating the y like this.
No, it is wrong. When dividing a product, you divide only one factor.
Think: what is y if 4y = 12? and what is y if 4y=3x4? Do you really think the two y values are different?

Likes opus
Makes complete sense now. Thank you!

ehild said:
When dividing a product, you divide only one factor.
True, but ##\cos(4\pi x + \frac 3 2)## isn't a product.
Closer to the point, if ##4y = \sqrt{36}##, it would be incorrect to write ##y = \frac 1 4 \sqrt 9## (which happens to be ##\frac 3 4##). The corrected equation is ##y = \frac 1 4 \sqrt{36} = \frac 6 4 = \frac 3 2##.

Of course, with this equation, it would have been simpler to write it as 4y = 6, from which we get y = 3/2.

Likes opus
Thank you Mark. So what would we call it if not a product? Just a typical function such as f(x) where we wouldn't be dividing the input of the function?

opus said:
Actually I think I got it. I tried dividing the LHS by 4 and ONLY the coefficient of cos on the RHS and that seemed to work. My algebra seems to go out the window when I see trig words, so why wouldn't I divide all factors on the RHS by 4?

If the trig function is throwing you off, just call it something else (temporarily). If you let ##C = \cos(4 \pi x + \frac 3 2)##, your original equation is ##4y = C,## and the solution is ##y = \frac1 4 C.## Now put back the value of ##C## in terms of ##x##. When you do that it becomes absolutely clear that you do not pull the ##\frac{1}{4}## inside the ##\cos( \cdot) ## function.

Last edited:
Likes opus
Ray Vickson said:
If the trig function is throwing you off, just call it something else (temporarily). If you let ##C = \cos(4 \pi x + \frac 3 2)##, your original equation is ##4y = C,## and the solution is ##y = \frac1 4 C.##. Now put back the value of ##C## in terms of ##x##. When you do that it becomes absolutely clear that you do not pull the ##\frac{1}{4}## inside the ##\cos( \cdot) ## function.
Im going to try that! Thats a great idea, thank you.

opus said:
So what would we call it if not a product? Just a typical function such as f(x) where we wouldn't be dividing the input of the function?
Just call it a function. The expression "f(x)" does not mean "f times x", so it's definitely not a product. It's almost never the case that ##\frac 1 b f(x)## is equal to ##f(\frac 1 b x)##, so you generally can't "distribute" the factor ##\frac 1 b## to into the function.

Here are some example of what I mean:
##\frac 1 2 \sin(x) \ne \sin(\frac x 2)##
##\frac 1 3 \sqrt{x} \ne \sqrt{\frac x 3}##
##2e^x \ne e^{2x}##
and so on. In the above, ##\ne## should be interpreted as "not identically equal to." For some of my examples, there might be values of x that make the expressions on each side equal, but for most values of x, the paired expressions aren't equal.

Likes opus
Thanks Mark!

What is the Y variable in a Trigonometric Equation?

The Y variable in a Trigonometric Equation represents the unknown value or angle that we are trying to solve for. It is often denoted by the letter "y" and can be found on either the left or right side of the equation.

Why is it important to isolate the Y variable in a Trigonometric Equation?

Isolating the Y variable allows us to easily solve for its value using mathematical operations. It also helps to simplify the equation and make it easier to understand and work with.

How do you isolate the Y variable in a Trigonometric Equation?

The process of isolating the Y variable involves using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to move all other terms and variables to the other side of the equation, leaving the Y variable by itself on one side.

What are some common techniques for isolating the Y variable in a Trigonometric Equation?

Some common techniques include factoring, using trigonometric identities, and applying inverse operations. It is important to carefully follow the rules of algebra and trigonometry when isolating the Y variable to ensure the accuracy of the solution.

What should I do if I cannot isolate the Y variable in a Trigonometric Equation?

If you are unable to isolate the Y variable by using traditional algebraic techniques, you can try using a graphing calculator or a computer program to solve the equation numerically. You can also consult with a math tutor or your teacher for additional assistance.