Isomorphism of quotient group

In summary: H) = \rho(g_i)##So ##\ker(\phi) = \{g_i H \in G/H : \phi(g_i H) = e'\}## So ##\ker(\phi) = \{g_i H \in G/H : \rho(g_i)=e'\}## which is only true if ##g_i=e##So ##\phi## is an injection.These are all good points, but the reasoning could be a bit clearer.For 2, suppose ##\phi(g
LayMuon
How can one prove that for homomorphism [itex] G \xrightarrow{\rho} G' [/itex] and H as kernel of homomorphism, quotient group G/H is isomorphic to G'?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about what happens to H under the mapping, and how this relates to the definition of G/H.

Ben Niehoff said:
Think about what happens to H under the mapping, and how this relates to the definition of G/H.

I understand that it suffices to prove that [itex] Ker[G/H \xrightarrow{\rho} G'] =e [/itex]. How do you prove this?

LayMuon said:
How can one prove that for homomorphism [itex] G \xrightarrow{\rho} G' [/itex] and H as kernel of homomorphism, quotient group G/H is isomorphic to G'?
This is only true if ##\rho## is surjective. In general, ##G/\ker(\rho)## is isomorphic to ##\text{image}(\rho)##, which may be a proper subgroup of ##G'##.

Hint: you need to find an isomorphism ##\phi : G/H \to \text{image}(\rho)##. Every element of ##G/H## is a coset of the form ##g + H## for some ##g \in G##. What is the most natural way to define ##\phi(g+H)## as an element of ##\text{image}(\rho)##?

LayMuon said:
I understand that it suffices to prove that [itex] Ker[G/H \xrightarrow{\rho} G'] =e [/itex]. How do you prove this?
But you already defined ##\rho## as a map from ##G## to ##G'##. It can't also be a map from ##G/H## to ##G'##.

jbunniii said:
But you already defined ##\rho## as a map from ##G## to ##G'##. It can't also be a map from ##G/H## to ##G'##.

right, sorry, [itex] \rho' [/itex]

jbunniii said:
What is the most natural way to define ##\phi(g+H)## as an element of ##\text{image}(\rho)##?

I don't know, how?

LayMuon said:
I don't know, how?
What is an element of ##\text{image}(\rho)## which is in some way related to ##g##?

LayMuon said:
I don't know, how?

Make an educated guess and prove that your guess is correct.

jbunniii said:
What is an element of ##\text{image}(\rho)## which is in some way related to ##g##?

By image(rho) you mean the subgroup of G' onto which G is mapped?

LayMuon said:
By image(rho) you mean the subgroup of G' onto which G is mapped?
Yes, that's right.

jbunniii said:

Still confused.

So ##\rho## takes in an element of ##G## and gives you an element of ##G^\prime##.

You want to define some map ##G/H\rightarrow G^\prime##. are given the point ##g+H##. You know ##g\in G##. You want to use ##\rho## somehow to get a point in ##G^\prime##. What are you going to try?

micromass said:
So ##\rho## takes in an element of ##G## and gives you an element of ##G^\prime##.

You want to define some map ##G/H\rightarrow G^\prime##. are given the point ##g+H##. You know ##g\in G##. You want to use ##\rho## somehow to get a point in ##G^\prime##. What are you going to try?

bundle all ##\rho##s to get a ##\rho'##?

LayMuon said:
bundle all ##\rho##s to get a ##\rho'##?
You are overthinking this. Given an element ##g\in G##, and the mapping ##\rho: G \to G'##, can you write down a formula for an element of ##G'## which involves ##g## and ##\rho##?

jbunniii said:
You are overthinking this. Given an element ##g\in G##, and the mapping ##\rho: G \to G'##, can you write down a formula for an element of ##G'## which involves ##g## and ##\rho##?

##\rho(g)##

LayMuon said:
##\rho(g)##
Yes, that's what you need. So now how can you define ##\phi : G/H \to G'##?
$$\phi(g+H) = ?$$

##\phi(g+H)=\rho(g)## but how do you prove the isomorphism?

LayMuon said:
##\phi(g+H)=\rho(g)## but how do you prove the isomorphism?
OK good, you have found the right mapping, that's half the battle.

Now you need to prove the following:

1. ##\phi## is well defined. This is important because you defined the map ##\phi## in terms of a particular element, ##g##, of the coset ##g + H##. But that coset may have other elements. You need to show that ##\phi## gives you the same result if you choose a different element ##g_1 \in g + H##.

2. ##\phi## is an injection. i.e. ##\ker(\phi) = \{e\}##.

3. ##\phi## is a surjection.

4. ##\phi## is a homomorphism.

I recommend starting with 1, so you can be sure you understand why the definition of ##\phi## makes sense. Formally, you need to show that if ##g + H = g_1 + H##, then ##\phi(g+H) = \phi(g_1 + H)##.

thanks, let me think and report back. this is an important thing to thoroughly understand.

Last edited:
Think of the fact that you already have an onto homomorphism (as a hypothesis/given). Show that modding out by the kernel gives you the missing ingredient --injectivity.

Modding out by the kernel collapses all elements with the same image into one coset.

Last edited:
jbunniii said:
OK good, you have found the right mapping, that's half the battle.

Now you need to prove the following:

1. ##\phi## is well defined. This is important because you defined the map ##\phi## in terms of a particular element, ##g##, of the coset ##g + H##. But that coset may have other elements. You need to show that ##\phi## gives you the same result if you choose a different element ##g_1 \in g + H##.

##\rho(g_1)=\rho(g_i h_n) = \rho(g_i) \rho(h_n) = \rho(g_i) e' = \rho(g_i)##

##\rho(g_2)=\rho(g_i h_k) = \rho(g_i) \rho(h_k) = \rho(g_i) e' = \rho(g_i)##

So they are mapped onto the same point.
2. ##\phi## is an injection. i.e. ##\ker(\phi) = \{e\}##.

I am stuck here. ((

What is the kernel of ##\phi##?

Last edited:
LayMuon said:
##\rho(g_1)=\rho(g_i h_n) = \rho(g_i) \rho(h_n) = \rho(g_i) e' = \rho(g_i)##

##\rho(g_2)=\rho(g_i h_k) = \rho(g_i) \rho(h_k) = \rho(g_i) e' = \rho(g_i)##

So they are mapped onto the same point.
I think you have the right idea, but the statement is not very clear. If ##g_1H = g_2H##, then ##g_2^{-1} g_1 \in H = \ker(\rho)##, so what can you say about ##\rho(g_2^{-1} g_1)##?

By the way, I just noticed that in several previous posts above, I wrote ##g+H## as an arbitrary element of ##G/H##. Must be too much linear algebra on the brain. Should have been ##gH## as we are not assuming that ##G## is abelian.

LayMuon said:
I am stuck here. ((

What is the kernel of ##\phi##?
If ##\phi(gH) = \rho(g)##, then ##\ker(\phi)## is the set of all cosets ##gH## such that ##\rho(g) = 1##.

I meant if ##g_1 \in g_i H## and ##g_2 \in g_i H## then they are mapped onto the same point of G'.

jbunniii said:
I think you have the right idea, but the statement is not very clear. If ##g_1H = g_2H##, then ##g_2^{-1} g_1 \in H = \ker(\rho)##, so what can you say about ##\rho(g_2^{-1} g_1)##?

By the way, I just noticed that in several previous posts above, I wrote ##g+H## as an arbitrary element of ##G/H##. Must be too much linear algebra on the brain. Should have been ##gH## as we are not assuming that ##G## is abelian.

##\rho(g_2^{-1} g_1) =e'## hence ##(\rho(g_2^{-1}))^{-1} =\rho(g_1)##

LayMuon said:
I meant if ##g_1 \in g_i H## and ##g_2 \in g_i H## then they are mapped onto the same point of G'.
OK, with that additional explanation it makes sense. Your proof is fine. So now try showing that ##\phi## is an injection.

LayMuon said:
##\rho(g_2^{-1} g_1) =e'## hence ##(\rho(g_2^{-1}))^{-1} =\rho(g_1)##
Right, and ##\rho(g_2^{-1})^{-1} = ??##

jbunniii said:
Right, and ##\rho(g_2^{-1})^{-1} = ??##

##\rho(g_2)##

jbunniii said:
If ##\phi(gH) = \rho(g)##, then ##\ker(\phi)## is the set of all cosets ##gH## such that ##\rho(g) = 1##.

so ##g \in H## and the kernel is H. so the kernel of gH is the ##{h_i H}## where ##h_i \in H \Rightarrow ker(\phi) = H ## , hence the kernel of G/H is trivial and the mapping injective.

LayMuon said:
##\rho(g_2)##
Right, so once again you get ##\rho(g_1) = \rho(g_2)## and the mapping is well defined.

LayMuon said:
so ##g \in H## and the kernel is H. so the kernel of gH is the ##{h_i H}## where ##h_i \in H \Rightarrow ker(\phi) = H ## , hence the kernel of G/H is trivial and the mapping injective.
I guess you mean "the kernel of ##\phi## is..."

You have the right idea, but the statement could be clearer. For example:

##\phi(gH) = 1## if and only if ##\rho(g) = 1## if and only if ##g \in H## if and only if ##gH = H##. Therefore, the kernel of ##\phi## is ##\{H\}##, and ##H## is the identity element of the group ##G/H##, which means that the kernel of ##\phi## is trivial, so ##\phi## is an injection.

OK next step is to show that ##\phi## is a surjection. Note that this will not be true unless you assume ##\rho## is a surjection, which is not stated in the original post.

Doesn't injectivity imply surjectivity and homomorphism?

LayMuon said:
Doesn't injectivity imply surjectivity and homomorphism?
No, it doesn't imply either one. What are the definitions of surjectivity and homomorphism?

jbunniii said:
No, it doesn't imply either one. What are the definitions of surjectivity and homomorphism?

Isn't injectivity the one-to-one mapping of G onto some subgroup of G', surjectivity mapping onto some subgroup which is not necessarily one-to-one, homomorphism sounds like surjectivity. Anyway I do not clearly distinguish between them. Wikipedia uses so many other terms that it would take a lot of time and distraction from physics to go through all of them. Any graphical explanation? Thanks.

No; injectivity means that no two elements of g have the same image in g', and surjectivity means that every element g' in G' is the image of some g in G. Sorry, I don't have any graphical sources, but,as an example, f(x)=x^2 from R to R is not injective, because f(1)=f(-1) =1 , and is not surjective, since no negative number is the image of any positive number --every square is nonnegative. But f(x)=x is both injective and surjective.