How to Build an Isopropanol Rocket Engine?

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of creating an isopropyl alcohol rocket engine using plastic bottles and the need for a proper ratio of liquid oxygen to alcohol for thrust. The safety hazards involved with handling liquid oxygen are also mentioned, and the suggestion is made to experiment with compressed air as an alternative oxidizer. The thread is closed for moderation and further discussion on designing a rocket engine is discouraged without proper understanding and handling of safety precautions.
Mazewind
Hello, I'm wondering how I could make an isopropyl alcohol rocket engine. Currently I'm testing with plastic bottles, and that's not quite exciting. The alcohol quickly burns out because it is just some vapor in the bottle. There also isn't enough oxidizer, as the bottle quickly fills in with carbon dioxide. I'm wondering when I add a combustion chamber, I'll be using liquid oxygen as my oxidizer. Does anyone know the ratio of liquid oxygen to alcohol to properly produce thrust?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mazewind said:
Does anyone know the ratio of liquid oxygen to alcohol to properly produce thrust?
If you can't do this chemical calculation yourself, you shouldn't be messing around with LOX.

DaveE said:
If you can't do this chemical calculation yourself, you shouldn't be messing around with LOX.
Bruh...you're actually right. :L Stoopid me

Likes Nik_2213
Mazewind said:
There also isn't enough oxidizer, as the bottle quickly fills in with carbon dioxide. I'm wondering when I add a combustion chamber, I'll be using liquid oxygen as my oxidizer.
Avoid LOX.
Maybe experiment with compressed air as the oxidiser. Like in the combustor of a jet engine. The hot CO2 and H2O gasses produced in the combustion chamber will exit as the exhaust.

Likes Astronuc
Thread closed for Moderation...

Likes Astronuc
There is a lot more to liquid fuel rocket engines than mixing a combustible with an oxidizer in a plastic bottle. While we can help you with specific details, we cannot design it for you. Also, you need to show in your first post that you understand the safety hazards, and are properly dealing with them. Thread will stay closed.

Likes Astronuc

1. What materials are needed to build an isopropanol rocket engine?

To build an isopropanol rocket engine, you will need a metal container, isopropanol fuel, an oxidizer such as liquid oxygen or nitrous oxide, a combustion chamber, a nozzle, and a launch pad.

2. How does an isopropanol rocket engine work?

An isopropanol rocket engine works by mixing isopropanol fuel and an oxidizer in a combustion chamber. When ignited, the fuel and oxidizer undergo a chemical reaction, producing hot gases that are expelled through a nozzle at the back of the engine. The force of the expelled gases propels the rocket forward.

3. What safety precautions should be taken when building an isopropanol rocket engine?

When building an isopropanol rocket engine, it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and a face mask. The fuel and oxidizer should be handled carefully and kept away from any open flames or heat sources. It is also important to have a fire extinguisher nearby in case of any accidents.

4. How can the thrust of an isopropanol rocket engine be increased?

The thrust of an isopropanol rocket engine can be increased by increasing the amount of fuel and oxidizer used, improving the design of the combustion chamber and nozzle, and using a more efficient fuel mixture. It is important to carefully calculate and test these changes to ensure the safety and effectiveness of the engine.

5. Can an isopropanol rocket engine be reused?

Yes, an isopropanol rocket engine can be reused. However, it will need to be thoroughly cleaned and inspected after each use to ensure that it is still in good condition. It is also important to properly store the engine and its components to prevent any damage or degradation.