1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

It appears that the Lagrange Multiplier is failing due to different values of Lamda.

1. Oct 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use Lagrange multipliers to ¯nd the maximum and mini-
    mum value(s), if they exist, of
    f(x; y; z) = x^2 -2y + 2z^2
    subject to the constraint x^2+y^2+z^2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Basically after I find the gradient of the functions I get this.

2x=2x lamda
    -2=2y lamda
    4z=2z lamda.

One case lamda equals 1 while the other it equals 2. Does this mean that the Lagrange Mult can't be used?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: It appears that the Lagrange Multiplier is failing due to different values of Lam

2x*lambda=2x doesn't necessarily mean lambda=1. It might mean x=0. You have to start splitting it into cases.

4. Oct 22, 2011 #3
    Re: It appears that the Lagrange Multiplier is failing due to different values of Lam

I got it thanks a lot Dick.

5. Oct 22, 2011 #4

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

When you have equations of the form [itex]2x = \lambda \cdot 2x[/itex] , it is dangerous to simply "cancel out" the "x" common to both sides of the equation. By removing the factor, you may be removing a solution to the equation along with it. Generally speaking, one should not divide out a factor unless one is sure it cannot be zero.

It is safer to re-write these equations in the form [itex]2x - \lambda \cdot 2x = 0 \Rightarrow 2x ( 1 - \lambda ) = 0 [/itex] and solve the two implied equations from there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook