Italy vs France: Who Will Score First?

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary: I wonder if the place will still be there when I get back?P.S. I'm wearing my "I (heart) Zidane" shirt.In summary, Italy and France are facing off in the World Cup final. The outcome is difficult to predict, with both teams having strong chances of winning. Italy's defense is impressive, but France's Zidane could be a game-changer. The match could potentially go to overtime, with a score of 1-1 or 2-1 in favor of Italy. Many are rooting for France, but some believe that Italy will come out on top. The game will take place in Olympiastadion, and will be officiated by Horacio Elizondo.
MeJennifer said:
What do you mean personal choice. :confused:
It is always a personal choice, the motivation is irrelevant.

I meant "personal choice worthy of some reflected principle" and not "hormone-driven stupid violent thoughtless act".

Animal-like reaction versus acting thoughtfully (which might seem silly to others, who don't use the same value scale).

Physics news on Phys.org
If Materazzi did much such hostile and unkind comments, then I would hold him also responsible for the situation, since it was his personal choice and his objective to provoke Zidane to respond in such as a way that he would likely be penalized.

Shameful that adults behave in such ways.

vanesch said:
I hope it is somehow true. Although still rationally a stupid move, it would then be a "personal choice" by Zidane, like: "even for the world cup, I don't bow for racist comments, and I hit every bastard that makes some". But that would then invite such an evident strategy against him that it sounds almost childish. Instead of waiting for a red card, he should then simply have walked directly off the field.
Some say it already was a strategy. He's reacted like this in the past and opponents already know there's a chance he could crack. There's a feeling that all it takes is a willingness to lower oneself to say the things that will make him crack.

'Trash talk' is considered a part of the game by some people. Even if not racial or ethnic slurs, constant little comments that get on an opponent's nerves and cause him to lose concentration is considered by some to be clever strategy.

I was never into 'trash talk', but, in my own way, I was just as bad. If an opponent complained to the referee about my hands, I tended to make it a point to have one of my hands touching him every chance I got. Childish, but I always found it amusing ... at least until I'd get an elbow to the stomach or something. But at least I never complained about the elbow.

Last edited:
vanesch said:
I hope it is somehow true. Although still rationally a stupid move, it would then be a "personal choice" by Zidane, like: "even for the world cup, I don't bow for racist comments, and I hit every bastard that makes some". But that would then invite such an evident strategy against him that it sounds almost childish.
Strategy against someone who is retiring from professional futbol?

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
If Materazzi did much such hostile and unkind comments, then I would hold him also responsible for the situation, since it was his personal choice and his objective to provoke Zidane to respond in such as a way that he would likely be penalized.

Surely the final decision to assault Matterazzi was Zidane's though, or ultimately his own lack of control that's at fault. I'm more inclined to believe Zidane just snapped rather than consciously planned to head butt the guy, that just doesn't seem like a rational decision. If Zidane was out to make a strong statement about racism in the game, it seems he would have been better off with a verbal one while holding the world cup trophy in his hand.

No question that Matterazzi's comments were despicable (if true) and have no place in the game. Maybe everyone needs a microphone attatched to them. That would be interesting in it's own right if the fans could tap into on field speak. It's a really nice touch in curling broadcasts, and I've heard 0 racist comments coming from curlers, so the microphones must work as a deterrent for those potty-mouthed curlers:rofl: .

BobG said:
'Trash talk' is considered a part of the game by some people. Even if not racial or ethnic slurs, constant little comments that get on an opponent's nerves and cause him to lose concentration is considered by some to be clever strategy.
For me 'trash talk' is not part of the game, in fact it ruins it somewhat.

I have always enjoyed playing against a strong opponent, otherwise there is not challenge.

I always admire the skills of an opponent, and I have no problem complimenting an opponents skill or style. For me it's nice to win, but it's not a big deal to lose, especially when the opponent is just as good. I just enjoy a good game and having fun. :smile:

After a game, I enjoy sitting and drinking with members of other team.

When my football team lost the final game (it ended in penalty kicks), I had a chance to sit with members of the other team and the coach later on. I received very kind remarks and compliments from the other players, who very much appreciated the qualilty of the game. It was just nice to just talk, laugh and drink beer with them. :smile:

Astronuc said:
For me 'trash talk' is not part of the game, in fact it ruins it somewhat.

I have always enjoyed playing against a strong opponent, otherwise there is not challenge.

I always admire the skills of an opponent, and I have no problem complimenting an opponents skill or style. For me it's nice to win, but it's not a big deal to lose, especially when the opponent is just as good. I just enjoy a good game and having fun. :smile:

After a game, I enjoy sitting and drinking with members of other team.

When my football team lost the final game (it ended in penalty kicks), I had a chance to sit with members of the other team and the coach later on. I received very kind remarks and compliments from the other players, who very much appreciated the qualilty of the game. It was just nice to just talk, laugh and drink beer with them. :smile:
Were you an only child?

I always enjoyed playing because it gives you a chance to feel like a kid again. And part of being a kid is figuring out what really bugs your brothers or sisters ... and maybe even how to handle having a few people around you who's sole purpose in life seems to be to try to find new ways to drive you mad. (Actually, my brother was a lot better at that than I was. He could drive me nuts even when we got older.)

I only got to take one of the penalty kicks once, and only because we were down to about the eighth or ninth penalty kick. I freaking missed, just on the outside of the post. Fortunately we still won on about the 10th or 11th kick. I think that's the only game I've ever seen go past 5 kicks.

And, actually, I usually got along with members of the other team, too, since most either had been team mates before or might be later on. In local adult leagues, most teams don't stay together forever so you better not create any lasting grudges.

BobG said:
Were you an only child?
:rofl: No, I am one of 4 - two brothers and a sister - and the oldest. I had to take care of the my sibbings because both my parents worked with overlapping schedules. The older brother used to give me a hard time - and occasionally, we'd end up punching each other.

I prefer not to be unkind to other people - simple as that. :smile:

BobG said:
I always enjoyed playing because it gives you a chance to feel like a kid again.
There is that.

BobG said:
And, actually, I usually got along with members of the other team, too, since most either had been team mates before or might be later on. In local adult leagues, most teams don't stay together forever so you better not create any lasting grudges.
There were teams who were just surly or played rough. It took the fun out of the game. I think we got to finals undefeated.

I just like to play - win or loose.

In high school we'd play football for 3 or 4 hours in 95+°F (35°C) weather during the summer. I used to drink Gatorade by the gallon. :biggrin:

I just saw on french TV an interview with Zidane about his incident. He appologizes for the act because it sent out a bad image and thinks of all the kids that have seen it, but he isn't ashamed for it, and said that it wasn't "blowing a fuse" but a reaction to an unsupportable insult, which he didn't repeat, but which did involve his mother and his sister in an untolerable way. He said that Materazzi said it once, and he asked him not to say that. Materazzi said it again, and he walked away. And then Materazzi shouted it again at him, and he told himself, ok, that's enough now... and he hit him. When asked if he'd do it again, he said that he could not say no, because not reacting would amount to accepting the insult, which he won't. But he regretted that it happened, and accepted also that he was punished for it - only, he found it unfair that the reaction was punished and not the provocation. In his view, violent words can be worse than physical violence, although both are bad things.
To the referee, he asked whether the referee really thought that during a world cup final, at 10 minutes before the end of his career, he'd do something like that if not seriously provoked, and whether it is not rather the provocation rather than the reaction that ought to be sanctioned.
He said that,yes, sometimes he's violent when provoked, and that's his dark side, but he's an honest man who will always try to be honest and defend his honor. If that implies punishment and other loss, then so be it. A bit fatalistic, he added: if this is how things are meant to be, then I accept that and I assume responsability for it. This is the way I am.

Many players would act in the same way. I do not blame him at all.

vanesch said:
I just saw on french TV an interview with Zidane about his incident. He appologizes for the act because it sent out a bad image and thinks of all the kids that have seen it, but he isn't ashamed for it, and said that it wasn't "blowing a fuse" but a reaction to an unsupportable insult, which he didn't repeat, but which did involve his mother and his sister in an untolerable way. He said that Materazzi said it once, and he asked him not to say that. Materazzi said it again, and he walked away. And then Materazzi shouted it again at him, and he told himself, ok, that's enough now... and he hit him. When asked if he'd do it again, he said that he could not say no, because not reacting would amount to accepting the insult, which he won't. But he regretted that it happened, and accepted also that he was punished for it - only, he found it unfair that the reaction was punished and not the provocation. In his view, violent words can be worse than physical violence, although both are bad things.

To the referee, he asked whether the referee really thought that during a world cup final, at 10 minutes before the end of his career, he'd do something like that if not seriously provoked, and whether it is not rather the provocation rather than the reaction that ought to be sanctioned.
He said that,yes, sometimes he's violent when provoked, and that's his dark side, but he's an honest man who will always try to be honest and defend his honor. If that implies punishment and other loss, then so be it. A bit fatalistic, he added: if this is how things are meant to be, then I accept that and I assume responsability for it. This is the way I am.
I don't agree with his action, but I commend his honesty. I am satisfied with his apology.

Astronuc said:
I don't agree with his action
Me neither! It would've been way cooler to bop Materazzi with the trophy instead. :biggrin:

I think that if Materazzi had done the "Head Butt" instead of Zidane...they would have been acused of "racist"...and banned for life from FIFA and football competition..we shouldn,t be so much hipocrite...:frown: :frown:

You guys don't know the half of what happened

http://zidanewantscandy.ytmnd.com/

Well...Materazzi did have his butterfinger...I don't blame him.

http://snapeheadbuttsdumbledore.ytmnd.com/

And spoiling a book for him...tut tut

I frankly love what Zidane did it, many people said it was a bad end to a career but I kind of liked it. He went out with a controversial bang that left people talking, hell people are still talking. I'd like to know what Materazzi said specifically. Something about his mom and sister, well it had to be pretty bad because something like "your momma is so fat, the army uses her as a defence sheild!" wouldn't get Zidane that provoked. Zidane knows the situation, he was pretty calm throughout the whole match.