Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Its strange

1. Apr 27, 2005 #1
    i was thinking can anyone findv the area of a straight line and also can anyone determine the area of a point or dot as the case maybe ,any suggestions wiil be appreciated
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Areas of such things are declared to be zero, as I suspect you know.
  4. Apr 27, 2005 #3
    The area for any line or point is DNE. Area requires exactly two dimensions.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  5. Apr 27, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Using any reasonable definition of area, the area of a 1 dimensional set is 0.
  6. Apr 27, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What happens when the dimension of a curve exceeds 1? An example is the fractal curves of Weierstrass. This curve zig-zags so much that it has infinite slope at every point in its domain. Doesn't this sound like the curve is taking on the "character" of "width" as exhibited by it's fractal dimension which is greater than 1?
  7. Apr 27, 2005 #6
  8. Apr 27, 2005 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm familiar with the curves. Someone here in the group is suppose to be I think proving that the curve fills the plane. I'd like to see that proof.
  9. Apr 28, 2005 #8
    hey hallsofivy is there a proof that their ares are zero if there is send me a private pls same goes 2 any one who beleives the area is zero.for u jon f wats the meaning of d.n.e?
  10. Apr 28, 2005 #9

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

dne is does not exist.

abia, the area is "declared" to be zero, ie it is a deinition that the area of a point is zero, as is the area of a straight line. This makes sense: the area of a rectangle of sides a and b is ab. A line can be thought of as a rectangle of sides a and 0, so the area is zero. If you want to think about an infinitely long line, then we need to invoke some other theory of what areas are, but in any reasonable sense a straight line has zero area. Areas are usually integrals over the set whose area you want to find.
  11. Apr 28, 2005 #10
    matt ,can this be proven using a triangle,at least u used a rectangle,pls tell me if a triangle can be used to prove the value
  12. Apr 28, 2005 #11
    Area is a property of a 2 dimensional shape. Lines are one-dimensional shapes. So to talk about the area of a line is with out meaning.

It’s the same idea as this question being meaningless “what color is loud”.
  13. Apr 29, 2005 #12
    given a rectangle c long (constant) and x wide ...

lim c*x
    x--> 0

rectangle becomes line and area becomes 0
  14. Apr 29, 2005 #13
    or hey sin0 = 0

triangle proof

did i just blow your mind?
  15. Apr 29, 2005 #14
    not really noslen i still need more proof,my friend says he has a proof that its 0 using a triangle,so can u help
  16. Apr 29, 2005 #15

Gold Member

noslen answered this.

The angle between the two long sides of this "triangle" is zero degrees.
    sin(0) = 0, meaning the opposite side of the "triangle" is of length zero.
    Measure the area of the "triangle" (1/2L*H).
    The height is zero, thus the area is zero.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?