Jumping off a cliff into water

• Thread starter Peter G.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, jumping off a high cliff onto water does not guarantee survival because the force of impact on the water's surface is too great and can cause serious injury or even death. This is due to the large amount of kinetic energy being used to break the surface tension of the water in a short amount of time, resulting in a strong impulse on the body.
Peter G.
When I was a kid I remember thinking that if you jumped off an incredibly high cliff but fell on water you would survive.

Now I know you don't, but I don't know how to explain why, my guess is:

When you are about to hit the water after a suicidal attempt described above you have a lot of kinetic energy. I am assuming that when you actually hit the liquid surface you use all that energy to do work to deplete the water. Doing work involves exerting a force to cause the displacement of the water so could the Force you exert on the water, force that the water consequently exerts back on you with the same magnitude but with opposite direction be responsible?

Thanks in advance,
Peter G

Physics news on Phys.org
Better explanation would be that when you hit the surface of water, all of your momentum is used to break the surface tension of the water and that too in a very small amount of time.

Thus a very large impulse acts on your body which breaks your bones!

What happens to your body when you jump off a cliff into water?

When you jump off a cliff into water, your body experiences a sudden change in velocity as you go from falling at a high speed to entering the water and slowing down. This can cause bruising or injury if the water is not deep enough.

How deep should the water be for a safe cliff jump?

The water should be at least 12 feet deep for a safe cliff jump. This depth allows for a safe entry into the water without risking injury. It's important to always check the depth of the water before jumping.

Is there a proper way to jump off a cliff into water?

Yes, there are some important steps to follow for a safe cliff jump. First, check the depth of the water and make sure there are no hazards in the area. When jumping, keep your arms crossed over your chest and aim for a feet-first entry to reduce the risk of injury.

What are the potential risks of jumping off a cliff into water?

Aside from the possibility of injury from a shallow entry or hitting a submerged object, there are other risks associated with cliff jumping. These include strong currents, cold water shock, and even drowning. It's important to assess all potential risks before attempting a cliff jump.

Can you jump off any cliff into water?

No, not all cliffs are suitable for jumping into water. Factors such as the height, depth and surrounding terrain of the cliff need to be carefully evaluated. It's also important to consider any local laws or regulations regarding cliff jumping in the area.