Junk food

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
Ahhaa!!! :approve: I knew it! (no hindsight bias here, as I will explain)

Well, you see, I pretty much avoid sweets of any kind (unless it's chocolate or coffee-flavored..but that's about it). They enacted the same restriction/law in my school, too.
When I stopped eating sweets (@age 7 or so), I pondered...what exactly is bad about high sugar content in foods? Is it better or worse than high fat content?
Without sweets, I began to eat much more. Much more. My appetite expanded CONSIDERABLY--that is, for filling foods: plenty of burgers, bowls of fried rice and chow mein, burritos...etc (cleaning out buffets!). But I stayed a lean ectomorph under 140 pounds (somehow). Generally, I took six to seven mile walks around the city (when bored) and seemed to have limitless energy--until high school's homework kicked in (essentially pointless--I get A's on tests and am the most academically involved student in class (not @home)--why the required+tedious homework?) and I got about four to five hours of sleep.
Then my school enacted the law/restriction on "junk food." Until then, my lunch meant Doritos (registrated TM) and a bottle of Coke (registrated TM).
My diet was fundamentally three rules:
1) No milkfat!--unless it was milk (which I drink quite a lot of) (or some coffee-pie/etc)
2) No sweets!--unless it was coffee-pie or something (not that it exists, tho)
3) Rule of thumb: no large amount of fat unless it came from something strictly filling (like a burger, burrito, nice fish, giant red steak...etc) or a healthy source (olive oil) or it was required for the meal (like sour cream for beef stroganoff)
And I stuck with this diet (no butter in oatmeal breakfast, no butter in instant rice/potatoes, no mayonnaise in anything...etc)
Basically, I ate...and ate quite a lot (large bowls of chow mein, several burritos, many burgers, other meals fit for three (sorry, no objective standard established behind this statement) but stayed slim (somehow!))
Next, (and randomly throughout school) came texts on what not to eat...etc. This meant no burgers/fries/sodas...etc. I don't really drink soda or eat fries any more (unless I happen to go to a burger place), but the criticism of burgers seemed somewhat peculiar. Suppose there was NO mayonnaise (outlawed by my rules) the patty was well-done in a cooker that eliminated much of the fat. In fact, suppose there was no patty--just some lean bologna (now a sandwich)--that would be healthy. I pretty much avoid sweets altogether, but stick to my rules 93% of the time.

But this is where my sugar question comes in. Now there are healthy foods even with high fat content (I think...but mostly low fat content), but none (almost none?) with high sugar content. Hmm--is high sugar content somehow worse than high fat content? What are the risks to high sugar content?

Thus, I decided that "junk food" must then be completely unhealthy (i.e., no significant health benefits whatsover). And I then thought high sugar content must really be the condition!! Furthermore, my long story in this post is not required!--but I wrote this as a minor nutritional biography. My motives originally were to objectify the standards by which a food is deemed "junk," and I elicited a response of high sugar content--pretty much what I expected, or hoped to expect!

*Nevertheless, however, perhaps high sugar content is an oversimplification---(or maybe not..). Are there any other criteria, exactly (perhaps), that characterizes "junk food"? Are there any other conditions that must be met to deem a food as "junk" ?

Man I love junkfood so much lmao. I can't even eat an apple anymore because it just doesn't taste good compared to the yummy treats I usually eat. Oh well at least im still skinny

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Ivan Seeking said:
Did I mention the curfew being discussed? :biggrin:

Wonder how those kids will play sports when they have to be at home by 4:30 :D

Anyone in Britain (don't know about internationally) might have seen the program with Jamie Oliver taking over school dinners. Simply, he improved them by removing all junk food.

The problem with junk food is it does not have the nutrients children need to grow and learn. If children have junk at home as well then they really are in for a bad health life.

Children concentrate better on proper food. The only disadvantages are the cost (as it takes real meat to make the food and real.... well.... food!!!) and the dinner staff have to be trainned to cook not to heat food in an oven).

The British goverment are rubbish on this issue. Putting money into food would be better than new books for schools (as if the children concentrate they will take in more or write more and not need the books to revise from).

It is proven that a proper meal and diet improve learning.

The Bob (2004 ©)

P.S.
chroot said:
1) Most children are not really competent to make sensible choices on their own.
I agree.

FredGarvin said:
I have been preaching that ever since a dim witted, 16 year old, Titanic watching, N Sync loving, Abercrombie and Fitch wearing, Brittney Spears wanna-be totaled my wife's car because she felt she couldn't be distracted with details like 'driving' while putting on her make up on the way to the mall.
Really??? This is why I believe there should be a different sort of test. One for how sensibel you are. If there was, then I hope I could have been on the road at 14 (I was tall enough). :smile:

DaveC426913 said:
I'm still trying to figure out what junk food has to do with gay rights.
That is one way to put across what I was thinking. :rofl:

Last edited:
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
bomba923 said:
But this is where my sugar question comes in. Now there are healthy foods even with high fat content (I think...but mostly low fat content), but none (almost none?) with high sugar content. Hmm--is high sugar content somehow worse than high fat content? What are the risks to high sugar content?
*Nevertheless, however, perhaps high sugar content is an oversimplification---(or maybe not..). Are there any other criteria, exactly (perhaps), that characterizes "junk food"? Are there any other conditions that must be met to deem a food as "junk" ?

Junk food can be high fat, such as potato chips (crisps for the UK folks), or high sugar, such as hard candy, or both, such as cookies.

I NEVER eat lunch room food. I get diarhea EVERY TIME. No kidding. They say the sloppy joes are the lunch ladies crap. I believe it.

My mom brings me barbeque chicken from a local fast food restaurant whenever she volunteers at my school, and it is wonderful, and it isn't bad for you either. Now, they just said we can't bring food, such as fast food, in anymore! THIS IS THE MOST RIDICULOUS RULE EVER! Soon they will make us eat in the lunch room every day, by the looks of it! I'm going to complain if they do. I have told the people that deliver it that it tastes like crap. I yell it too. I am P.O.'ED.

They also banned coke in the fifth grade. Then I was MAAAAAAAD.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Pre-AlgebraDude said:
My mom brings me barbeque chicken from a local fast food restaurant whenever she volunteers at my school, and it is wonderful, and it isn't bad for you either. Now, they just said we can't bring food, such as fast food, in anymore! THIS IS THE MOST RIDICULOUS RULE EVER! Soon they will make us eat in the lunch room every day, by the looks of it!

Kids.... lol. Im barely getting into college and its like... damn. Even my 8 year old niece wants a cell phone!! We wouldn't dare have an electronic device when i went to school. They were BARELY allowing cell phones when i was nearing the end of high school and it was for emergency purposes only (ha!).

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Since when did they even start allowing you to bring fast food into school? And how can you think BBQ chicken from a fast food place is a healthy lunch? :surprised What ever happened to mom or dad packing you a sandwich accompanied by a piece of fruit and handing you money to buy milk to drink with it? If you were really good (and usually when dad packed the lunch), you might find one cookie packed with it as a treat.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
I feel old, they hella let kids do so much just in the past 2 years

JamesU
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
Since when did they even start allowing you to bring fast food into school? And how can you think BBQ chicken from a fast food place is a healthy lunch? :surprised What ever happened to mom or dad packing you a sandwich accompanied by a piece of fruit and handing you money to buy milk to drink with it? If you were really good (and usually when dad packed the lunch), you might find one cookie packed with it as a treat.
Anyone who brings sack lunches packs them for themselves, and they pack a whole bunch of sweets and crap in there. And the school really doesn't care whether we bring in fast food, they really don't care about us.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
haha sounds like food is your guyses least of concerns

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
yomamma said:
Anyone who brings sack lunches packs them for themselves, and they pack a whole bunch of sweets and crap in there. And the school really doesn't care whether we bring in fast food, they really don't care about us.

:bugeye: What are all your parents doing? Why do they let them bring a bunch of junk to school instead of a healthy lunch? How can kids pay attention and learn if they're pumped full of sugar and caffeine rather than nutritious food?

Danger
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
I got the exact amount needed to buy lunch or a bag lunch handed to me each morning, and nothing more.
Our public schools didn't have any food facilities (and I went in both Alberta and Ontario). There was no choice in the matter of bringing your own. And no lunch room; we ate at our desks, then went out for noon recess.

Moonbear said:
:bugeye: What are all your parents doing? Why do they let them bring a bunch of junk to school instead of a healthy lunch? How can kids pay attention and learn if they're pumped full of sugar and caffeine rather than nutritious food?

didn't you know? nobody cares about learning anymore :tongue2:

JamesU
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
Nothing, and sugar does not cause hyperactivity. :uhh: And yes, alot of kids get VERY rowdy, especially in math... :confused:

JamesU
Gold Member
Pengwuino said:
haha sounds like food is your guyses least of concerns
? :confused:

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
No problem. They just off-set the caffeine/sugar effects with Ritalin.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Math Is Hard said:
No problem. They just off-set the caffeine/sugar effects with Ritalin.

No kidding!