1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just a quick question - definition

1. Aug 6, 2005 #1
    Hi I'm not sure what the following two questions (actually there are a few more but if I know how to do the following the others should be ok) is asking for.

In the following systems Z_n, write down the sets of elements that have inverses. ( (n) is equal to the number of elements in these sets.)

a) Z_7
    d) Z_13

The answers to 'a' and 'd' are 4 and 12 respectively.

The question asks for "the sets of elements that have inverses" but 4 and 12 are just numbers, so how can they be the answers to the questions? I learned that if a number n(bar) is in z_m then n(bar) has a multiplicative inverse iff gcd(m,n) = 1 but I'm not sure how to apply this here. Can someone help me with this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I assume the problem is asking for "multiplicative" inverses, since all elements have additive inverses.

Problem (a) is asking for all elements of Z7, n, such that there is some m in Z7 so that mn= 1 (mod 7). One "brute strength" method is took look at every possible number: there are only 6 possibilities. One obvious answer is always "1".
    What about 2? Is 2a= 1 (mod 7) for any a? That is, is there a number a such that 2a is of the form 7n+ 1 for some n? Again, an obvious candidate is "4": 2(4)= 8= 7+ 1. 2 has a multiplicative inverse: 4.
    What about 3? Is 3a= 1 (mod 7)? 3(2)= 6, 3(3)= 9= 7+2, (3)(4)= 12= 7+ 5, 3(5)= 15= 2(7)+ 1. 3 has a multiplicative inverse: 5.
    Of course, 4 has a multiplicative inverse: 2.
    Of course, 5 has a multiplicative inverse: 3
    That leaves 6. 6*6= 36= 5(7)+ 1. 6 is its own multiplicative inverse.
    Every number in Z7 has a multiplicative inverse.

The key point is that 7 and 13 are both prime numbers. " if a number n(bar) is in z_m then n(bar) has a multiplicative inverse iff gcd(m,n) = 1". If n is prime then,
    gcd(m,n)= 1 for every number less than n except 0.

The set of all elements of Z7 and Z13[/b] are just the elements of Z7 and Z13 except 0.
  4. Aug 6, 2005 #3
    Thanks for the help HallsofIvy. The use of the theorem that you mentioned didn't come to me as I was working through the questions but it's good that you've mentioned it. I'll try to keep things like that in mind in future.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?