K Engine Start Probability Calculator

• Thread starter ankitj
  • Start date
In summary, the probability of an engine being accepted after just 10 starts, where the probability of a successful start is .990 and the outcomes are independent, is simply 0.9910. This means that the engine will be accepted if it starts successfully 10 consecutive times.
ankitj
I think this is correct. I would appreciate any input.

Question:
The potential buyer of a particular engine requires that the engine start successfully 10 consecutive times. Suppose that the probability of a successful start is .990. Consider that the outcomes of attempted starts is independent. What is the probability that the engine is accepted after just 10 starts?

My solution:

P(x<=10) = p(2) + p(3) +...+ p(10)

where:
p(2) = P(X = 2) = P(S on #1 and S on #2) = p2
p(3) = P(S on #3 and S on #2 and F on #1) = (1 – p)p2
p(4) = P(S on #4 and S on #3 and F on #2) = (1 – p)p2
p(5) = P(S on #5 and S on #4 and F on #3 and no 2 consecutive S’s on trials prior to #3) = [ 1 – p(2) ](1 – p)p2
p(6) = P(S on #6 and S on #5 and F on #4 and no 2 consecutive S’s on trials prior to #4) = [ 1 – p(2) – p(3)](1 – p)p2

In general, for x = 5, 6, 7, …: p(x) = [ 1 – p(2) - … – p(x - 3)](1 – p)p2

Does this make any sense?
AJ

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't make sense of what you wrote. However the probability of 10 successes in a row is simply .9910.

But what is the question asking for, in terms of probability? That's what I don't understand.

The buyer will accept the engine if and only if it starts successfully ten consecutive times. This means that the engine is "accepted" if it can start ten times in a row. The question is essentially asking what is the probability of this event occurring? That's why the probability is simply 0.9910 as mathman wrote.

hmm ok. Thank you for your help.

Related to K Engine Start Probability Calculator

1. What is the purpose of asking another question?

Asking another question can serve multiple purposes, such as gaining a deeper understanding of a topic, clarifying information, or prompting critical thinking.

2. Is it necessary to ask another question if I already know the answer?

It depends on the context. If you are trying to gauge someone else's understanding or encourage further discussion, asking another question can be beneficial. However, if it serves no purpose and may come across as condescending, it is best to refrain from asking another question.

3. How can I formulate an effective follow-up question?

An effective follow-up question should be specific, relevant to the previous question or topic, and open-ended to encourage further discussion. It should also show genuine interest and curiosity in the response given.

4. Can asking too many questions be overwhelming or annoying?

It is possible for excessive questioning to become overwhelming or annoying, especially if the questions are irrelevant or repetitive. It is important to gauge the other person's interest and engagement and adjust the number of questions accordingly.

5. Are there any benefits to asking another question in a conversation or discussion?

Asking another question can lead to a deeper understanding of a topic, promote critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and encourage active listening and engagement in a conversation or discussion. It can also help build rapport and connection with the person you are speaking with.