Staying in Shape: Tips for Keeping Fit

In summary, Smurf lives in a town with a lot of hills, and he exercises by running, biking, and walking. Every day, he has to walk uphill to his job and then walk uphill to his classes.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
How do you keep fit ??

Physics news on Phys.org
I live in Manayunk PA. I run up the massive hills we have around here that are around 12-15% grade and about a mile long.

I don't like having seizures.

I walk two miles, sometimes everyday, sometimes I skip a day.

It seems the university has a mandatory physical fitness program here. They make you park in a lot at the bottom of a LONG set of stairs and then hide the elevators in the buildings, so I have to take another 3 flights of stairs to get to the floor my new office/lab is on. It's no wonder I've been exhausted by the time I get home at night.

Cycle where possible. Where impossible, skip (or not...).

Hey! I was going to post this today! Great minds...

Weights, step workouts, biking, jogging. No swimming, no team sports (blech).

The elementary school is 6/10 mile away (is that a km?) and I go back and forth on foot, scooter, or bike twice/day - with the kids, of course. That's what - 2.4 miles of hoofing/biking it?

I don't drive. Everywhere I want to get I have to bike or walk. I don't use the public transportation just because I can't be bothered to spend the money. Did I mention my down is built on a really big hill? Every day I have to walk uphill to the university, and then when I get to the university walk uphill to my classes (the university has aprox. 2500 stairs - and it doesn't have high buildings, that's mostly outdoor stairs). Of course it's downhill on the way back, but at least I get excersize in the morning.

Smurf said:
I don't drive. Everywhere I want to get I have to bike or walk. I don't use the public transportation just because I can't be bothered to spend the money. Did I mention my down is built on a really big hill? Every day I have to walk uphill to the university, and then when I get to the university walk uphill to my classes (the university has aprox. 2500 stairs - and it doesn't have high buildings, that's mostly outdoor stairs). Of course it's downhill on the way back, but at least I get excersize in the morning.

Wow you get lots of exercise Smurf, but you should take some thing for that
blocked nose. :biggrin:

1. How often should I exercise to stay in shape?

The American Heart Association recommends at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous exercise per week to maintain good physical health. This breaks down to about 30 minutes of moderate exercise, such as brisk walking or cycling, 5 days a week.

2. Is it better to do cardio or strength training for staying in shape?

Both cardio and strength training are important for maintaining overall fitness. Cardio exercises, such as running or swimming, help improve cardiovascular health and burn calories. Strength training, on the other hand, helps build muscle and increases metabolism. It's best to incorporate both types of exercises into your fitness routine.

3. What should I eat to stay in shape?

A healthy and balanced diet is key to staying in shape. This includes plenty of fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains. Avoid processed and high-fat foods, and limit your intake of sugary drinks and snacks. It's also important to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day.

4. How important is sleep for staying in shape?

Sleep is crucial for both physical and mental health. It allows the body to repair and recover from the day's activities and helps regulate hormones that control appetite and metabolism. Aim for 7-9 hours of quality sleep each night to maintain optimal health and fitness.

5. Can I stay in shape without going to the gym?

Absolutely! While going to the gym can be a great way to stay in shape, there are many other ways to get physical activity. You can go for a walk or jog, do bodyweight exercises at home, or participate in sports and recreational activities. The important thing is to find an activity you enjoy and make it a regular part of your routine.