Keeping the spin constant during an experiment?

In summary, quantum computing relies on keeping the electron in a fixed state long enough to achieve a desired result. However, this is more demanding than simply creating a lot of particles and assuming that statistically a certain percentage will be in the desired state.
nomadreid
Gold Member
In texts about quantum computing, one prepares electrons or other particles in definite spins (up or down), then pass them through various gates, etc. But since the probability that an electron changes spin state within a very short time, then how can this be realistically done? Is there a way to keep the electron in a fixed state long enough? Or does one simply create a lot of particles and assume that statistically a certain percentage will be in the desired state? Am I just stating the problem called decoherence?

Physics news on Phys.org
nomadreid said:
But since the probability that an electron changes spin state within a very short time
Why should it?
Also, what is a very short time for you?

This has some relation to decoherence, but "keeps the spin orientation" is more demanding than "does not lead to decoherence"

Likes nomadreid
If the initial spin configuration of your system is an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian then it should remain the same.

Likes nomadreid
Thank you, mfb and Einj, for your replies.
First, to mfb
mfb said:
Why should it?
As I understand it, the electron has a definite spin value only upon being measured. So, after measurement, it would seem that it would have a high probability of being in some other state than upon being measured. Apart from that, the system evolves with time, doesn't it?
mfb said:
Also, what is a very short time for you?
From one point of view, right after being measured; it would of course also depend on its environment: for example, however, in terms of flipping from an indefinite state to a definite one, in the environment of a human brain, Max Tegmark comes up with a value of about 10-13 seconds.
mfb said:
This has some relation to decoherence, but "keeps the spin orientation" is more demanding than "does not lead to decoherence"
Yes, I see that now. Thank you for pointing that out.

To Einj
Einj said:
If the initial spin configuration of your system is an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian then it should remain the same.
Alas, I do not completely understand. If the eigenstate of the Hamiltonian has two eigenvalues, then supposedly each one has a non-zero expectation value, so why should it continue to be one rather than the other? I have no doubt that your answer is correct, but I am missing the connection between the premise and the conclusion. I would be grateful if you could spell it out for me.

nomadreid said:
As I understand it, the electron has a definite spin value only upon being measured.
No. It has to have one when it is measured, but it does not lose it afterwards (or at least not necessarily). This definite spin refers to a single axis only, and that is a key point if you want to make other measurements with it afterwards.
nomadreid said:
Apart from that, the system evolves with time, doesn't it?
So does the solar system system and we are still revolving around sun in the same direction we always did, because all influences on it are tiny.

Likes nomadreid
nomadreid said:
Alas, I do not completely understand. If the eigenstate of the Hamiltonian has two eigenvalues, then supposedly each one has a non-zero expectation value, so why should it continue to be one rather than the other? I have no doubt that your answer is correct, but I am missing the connection between the premise and the conclusion. I would be grateful if you could spell it out for me.

You are not considering how a state evolves with time in Quantum Mechanics. Suppose that your system is described by an Hamiltonian H and that at the initial time t=0 it is in a state ##|\psi(t=0)\rangle=|\psi_0\rangle##. Then your state for any time is given by:

$$
|\psi(t)\rangle=e^{iHt/\hbar}|\psi_0\rangle.
$$

Now, suppose that at t=0 your system is in a definite eigenstate of the Hamiltonian, say for example spin-up such that ##H|up\rangle=E_{up}|up\rangle##, where ##E_{up}## is the energy of the spin-up state. Then at any given time you'll have:
$$
|\psi(t)\rangle=e^{iHt/\hbar}|up\rangle=e^{iE_{up}t/\hbar}|up\rangle,
$$
so, you state only picks up a phase, i.e. it will remain in the spin-up configuration forever.

I hope this answers your question.

Likes nomadreid
Thank you again, Einj and mfb. Yes, this answers my question very satisfactorily. :)
Texts tend to skip such elementary questions, and it is super for non-experts such as myself to be able to get answers to them.
I have to try to understand the physical meaning of phase better...

1. Why is it important to keep the spin constant during an experiment?

Keeping the spin constant during an experiment is important because it ensures that the experimental conditions remain consistent. This is crucial for obtaining accurate and reliable results. Any changes in the spin can introduce variables that may affect the outcome of the experiment.

2. How do you keep the spin constant during an experiment?

There are a few ways to keep the spin constant during an experiment. One method is to use specialized equipment, such as a centrifuge, to maintain a constant spin rate. Another approach is to carefully control the temperature and pressure conditions, as changes in these factors can affect the spin. It is also important to minimize any external disturbances, such as vibrations, that may disrupt the spin.

3. What factors can affect the spin during an experiment?

Several factors can affect the spin during an experiment. These include changes in temperature, pressure, and external disturbances like vibrations or air currents. Additionally, the shape and size of the spinning object, as well as the type of fluid it is spinning in, can also impact the spin.

4. How do you measure and monitor the spin during an experiment?

The most common way to measure and monitor the spin during an experiment is through the use of specialized equipment, such as a tachometer or accelerometer. These devices can measure the speed and acceleration of the spinning object, providing data on the spin rate and any changes that may occur during the experiment.

5. What are some common challenges in keeping the spin constant during an experiment?

One of the most common challenges in keeping the spin constant during an experiment is maintaining a consistent environmental conditions, such as temperature and pressure. This may require specialized equipment and careful monitoring. Additionally, external disturbances, such as vibrations from nearby machinery or air currents, can also pose a challenge in maintaining a constant spin.