Ask a Blacksmith Student: Building a Gate with Cogs & Counterweight

In summary, The speaker is a blacksmith student looking to build a gate that incorporates engineering mechanisms. They are seeking advice on how to make use of a counterweight and a chain connected to cogs and a cable retractor. They are also advised to look at the mechanism of a weight-driven clock for inspiration.
scroller
Hi I am an artist blacksmith student and am looking at building a gate that incorporates engineering mechanisms and am a bit stumped, so I am looking for advise
I intend to build a gate from forged steel and cogs I want the gate to be linked to a counterweight that is lifted as the gate is opened in doing this I want a chain connected to the weight to run through a cog and then possibly to some sort or cable retractor. As the chain moves through the cog I want it to spin in turn moving the other cogs. If you have any ideas or advice it would be much appreciated

<< email address deleted by Mentors >>

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Gareth.
My first thought is to examine the mechanism of a weight-driven ("grandfather") clock. It would seem to share several concepts with your intended design.

1. How do you determine the size and weight of the counterweight needed for a gate?

The size and weight of the counterweight needed for a gate depends on various factors, such as the weight and size of the gate itself, the type of cogs being used, and the desired level of resistance for opening and closing the gate. Generally, a good rule of thumb is to make the counterweight about one-third of the weight of the gate.

2. What are the best materials to use for building a gate with cogs and counterweight?

The best materials for building a gate with cogs and counterweight are typically strong and durable metals such as iron or steel. These materials can withstand the weight and pressure of the gate and counterweight, and also provide stability and longevity for the structure.

3. How do you properly attach the cogs to the gate and the counterweight?

The cogs should be securely attached to both the gate and the counterweight using strong bolts or welding techniques. It is important to ensure that the cogs are evenly spaced and aligned to prevent any unnecessary strain on the structure.

4. Is it necessary to have a professional blacksmith build a gate with cogs and counterweight?

While it is possible for someone with basic metalworking skills to build a gate with cogs and counterweight, it is highly recommended to seek the expertise of a professional blacksmith. They will have the necessary knowledge and experience to ensure the gate is properly constructed and functions correctly.

5. How do you maintain a gate with cogs and counterweight?

Regular maintenance is important to ensure that the gate continues to function properly. This may include regularly lubricating the cogs, checking for any loose or damaged parts, and making any necessary repairs. It is also important to keep the gate and cogs clean from debris to prevent any potential issues.