What is Kerbal Space Program game all about?

In summary, Kerbal Space Program is a sandbox-style game where you design and build rockets and launch them into space. It is a steep learning curve, but is very addictive and fantastic. The game is available for $18 on Steam. There is a demo available.
FlexGunship
Gold Member
Hey all,

I just searched the forum for discussions about this game but, apart from one of the developers asking a question about astrophysics, I found nothing.

In case folks don't know... there exists a wonderful game/simulator called "Kerbal Space Program" developed by a group called "Squad."

The game, in a nutshell, is a rocket-building game with a full-featured orbital mechanics simulator integrated. Right now it's in alpha-stage development and is just a sandbox-style game; design your rocket(s) and plan/execute your own missions. This includes everything from sub-orbital flights with a nice parachute-slowed splashdown to crew-lander-dropping skycrane maneuvers on one of the two currently-available moons!

There's a huge third-party developer community which provides new rockets parts and even plugins like auto-pilot, lunar mining, and user-controllable rovers.

Here's a picture of a skycrane I built dropping a rover I designed near a lunar arch formation.
attachment.php?attachmentid=50280&stc=1&d=1346268120.jpg

As a side note, the first moon is called "Mun" and the second, smaller moon, is called "Minmus."

The game is addictive, fantastic, and well worth the current $18 price tag. I'm not at all affiliated with the design group, and I don't get anything for pushing the game. I'm just hoping someone else will be introduced to the game and will love it as much as I do!

Also, all rights belong to the design group. My screenshot also shows some third-party parts including the MechJeb autopilot system.

Attachments

• roverdrop.JPG
    roverdrop.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 645
Physics news on Phys.org

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm guessing this is not a game for a layman?

There's a steep learning curve, to be sure, but it is definitely a game. The rigors of rocket control are largely simplified and autopilot plugins simplify orbital mechanics further. Yes, your rocket will keel over and break in half (or explode) without proper control, but you can install an advance stability augmentation system and some RCS thrusters and let it stabilize itself.

There's a demo available, but it's simply an older version of the game and contains fewer features and less third-party support.

You can certainly slap a parachute on a capsule on a decoupler on a tank of fuel on a rocket engine and make a brief EVA within the first 15 or 20 minutes of playing the game. You get to choose your own difficulty in a way.

Here's an image of an early failure. Before I knew much of anything I could ALMOST fall to the Mun safely.

attachment.php?attachmentid=50282&stc=1&d=1346270273.png

Attachments

• Is That our Engine.PNG
    Is That our Engine.PNG
    6.6 KB · Views: 698

Wow that seems pretty cool. I once wrote a program to simulate reentry. Will be nice to see some pictures instead. Thankyou for sharing.

I can say that Kerbal Space Program is a game that simulates the challenges and complexities of space exploration and rocket building. It allows players to design and launch their own rockets, navigate them through orbital mechanics, and explore different celestial bodies in our solar system. The game also incorporates real-world physics and allows for experimentation and problem-solving in a fun and engaging way. It is a great educational tool for understanding the complexities of space exploration and can also serve as a platform for developing new ideas and technologies for future space missions. The game's community of third-party developers also adds to its appeal and potential for growth and innovation. Overall, Kerbal Space Program is a fantastic game that can inspire and educate players about the wonders and challenges of space exploration.

What is Kerbal Space Program game?

Kerbal Space Program is a popular space flight simulation video game developed and published by Squad. It allows players to design and manage their own space program, including building spacecraft, launching them into orbit, and exploring the solar system.

What platforms is Kerbal Space Program available on?

Kerbal Space Program is available on Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. It is also available on Playstation 4 and Xbox One.

What are the main features of Kerbal Space Program?

The main features of Kerbal Space Program include building and designing spacecraft, launching them into orbit, managing resources and crew, and exploring the vast solar system. The game also offers a variety of challenges and missions for players to complete.

Is Kerbal Space Program scientifically accurate?

While Kerbal Space Program is not a fully accurate simulation, it does incorporate many real-life physics and engineering concepts. The game also offers a modding community that provides more realistic features for players who are looking for a more accurate experience.

Can players learn about real-life space exploration through Kerbal Space Program?

Yes, players can learn about real-life space exploration through Kerbal Space Program. The game offers a realistic representation of the challenges and processes involved in space exploration, and players can also access educational resources and tutorials within the game.