Kerry To Push For Bush Impeachment

• News
  • Thread starter polyb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Push
In summary, on Thursday, John Kerry announced his intention to present Congress with The Downing Street Memo, which was reported by the London Times on May 1, 2005. The memo allegedly includes minutes from a meeting in July 2002 between Tony Blair and President Bush that suggests the administration manipulated intelligence to justify the war in Iraq. Kerry expressed his surprise at the lack of media coverage on this topic, but noted that it was gaining attention on the internet. The Boston Globe published an article by Ralph Nader calling for President Bush's impeachment, and Kerry stated that he will begin presenting his case for impeachment to Congress on Monday. However, there is some skepticism about these claims and it remains to

Should Bush face impeachment?

• YES

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • NO

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • NOT SURE

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
polyb
Here's the wind up!

Sher Zieve said:
John Kerry announced Thursday that he intends to present Congress with The Downing Street Memo, reported by the London Times 1 May 2005. As reported by NewsMax, the memo purports to include minutes from a July 2002 meeting with Tony Blair, in which Blair ostensibly said that President Bush’s Administration “fixed” intelligence on Iraq in order to justify the Iraqi war. In an interview with the Standard Times, Kerry said: "It's amazing to me the way it escaped major media discussion. It's not being missed on the Internet, I can tell you that."

The Boston Globe published an article by Ralph Nader, Tuesday, in which Nader also called for President Bush’s impeachment. The story is being carried on Michael Moore’s website and the Democratic Underground. Failed presidential candidate Kerry advised that he will begin the presentation of his case for President Bush’s impeachment to Congress, on Monday.

http://www.theconservativevoice.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=6057

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would think that would make the news... but I guess we'll see on Monday.

and the pitch!

All we can hope is he doesn't flip-flop on this!

Finally the guy does something brave...

I hope thsi doesn't slow down our incredibly efficient Congress :D ha

russ_watters said:
I would think that would make the news... but I guess we'll see on Monday.

Why watch TV for news? I only see tabloid and sales pitching.

I guess we'll see Monday. I bet 'The Conservative Voice' is getting a lot of hits tonight.

After looking through a few sites, one thing is certain, no where in his statements has Kerry mentioned that he will "push for Bush impeachment". Just looking at the site's name, The Conservative Voice, more than explains why an exaggeration or falsification could take place.

klusener said:
After looking through a few sites, one thing is certain, no where in his statements has Kerry mentioned that he will "push for Bush impeachment". Just looking at the site's name, The Conservative Voice, more than explains why an exaggeration or falsification could take place.

Was wondering the same thing. The only article that I have found that would suggest this is true is the following:

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/daily/06-05/06-02-05/a01lo167.htm

Wait and see is all I can say. It will probably buzz around the net for the weekend and when Monday comes we'll see if Kerry or prophet Yawheh is more believable.

Below is a Washington Post article dated May 22nd that I read that same date, which mentions the Downing Street Memo. So when I saw the “Downing Street Memo” by kcballer21, I wasn’t that surprised, excerpts from the article as follows:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/21/AR2005052100474.html

Prewar WMD claims worried analysts
Report details early doubts over veracity of Iraq intel
By Walter Pincus

Updated: 5:03 a.m. ET May 22, 2005

…a close reading of the recent 600-page report by the president's commission on intelligence, and the previous report by the Senate panel, shows that as war approached, many U.S. intelligence analysts were internally questioning almost every major piece of prewar intelligence about Hussein's alleged weapons programs.

As Bush speeches were being drafted in the prewar period, serious questions were also being raised within the intelligence community about purported threats from biologically armed unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs).

Nonetheless, a National Intelligence Estimate in October 2002 said the attempted procurement "strongly suggested" Iraq was interested in targeting UAVs on the United States. Senior members of Congress were told in September 2002 that this was the "smoking gun" in a special briefing by Vice President Cheney and then-CIA Director George J. Tenet.

By January 2003, however, it became publicly known that the director of Air Force intelligence dissented from the view that UAVs were to be used for biological or chemical delivery, saying instead they were for reconnaissance. In addition, according to the president's commission, the CIA "increasingly believed that the attempted purchase of the mapping software . . . may have been inadvertent."

By late January 2003, the number of U.S. troops in the Persian Gulf area was approaching 150,000, and the invasion of Iraq was all but guaranteed. Neither Bush nor Powell reflected in their speeches the many doubts that had surfaced at that time about Iraq's weapons programs.
However, as stated in regard to this thread’s OP, the mainstream media isn’t reporting much about it, and certainly not about impeachment proceedings (though many feel it would be deserved, and it would be great to be rid of Dubya sooner than later).

http://www.riverwoodbooks.com/books/Big-Bush-Lies.html
Big Bush Lies - 20 Essays and a List of the 50 Most Telling Lies of President George W. Bush
Edited by Jerry "Politex" Barrett
Available May 2004

Here lies George W. Bush
George W. Bush and his administration have a well-documented difficulty with honesty. President Bush lies. He lies frequently. He distorts the truth, changes the facts, and smirks all the while.

These 20 original essays detail and document lies both outrageously obvious and subtle. Taking Bush to task for his assault on the intelligence of Americans, the distinguished list of contributors includes academics, activists, legal experts, financial leaders, and journalists.
Lies covered include

· Iraq and Weapons of Mass Destruction
· Foreign Policy
· Environment & Energy
· Health & Science
· The Use and Abuse of Religion
· Education
· Women and Minority Policies
· National Security & 9/11
· Bush Campaign Lies
· Pre-Presidential Lies, including Bush's experiences with drunk driving and the controversies and inconsistencies of his National Guard service.
"The Machinery of Mendacity"
COMMENTARY: Given a public policy debate, conservatives have decided to forgo real debate entirely -- to adopt instead a radical course: denying reality itself.
By Russ Rymer
May/June 2005 Issue

In the Bush administration "the negation of truth is so systematic. Dishonest accounting, willful scientific illiteracy, bowdlerized federal fact sheets, payola paid to putative journalists, 'news' networks run by right-wing apparatchiks, think tanks devoted to propaganda rather than thought, the purging of intelligence gatherers and experts throughout the bureaucracy whose findings might refute the party line -- this is the machinery of mendacity...The point here is not the hypocrisy involved, though that is egregious. The point is the downgrading of truth and honesty from principles with universal meaning to partisan weapons to be sheathed or drawn as necessary. No wonder the Bush administration feels no compunction to honor the truth or seek it; it conceives truth as a tactic, valuable only insofar as it is useful against one's enemies."
Unfortunately, it seems impeachment is only rumor at this time.

The rumor mill is going global, from al-jazeera:

http://www.aljazeera.com/cgi-bin/news_service/middle_east_full_story.asp?service_id=8681

Plus there is a direct copy and paste from the first posting, about midway down the article:

al-jazeera said:
The Boston Globe published an article by Ralph Nader, Tuesday, in which Nader also called for President Bush's impeachment. The story is being carried on Michael Moore's website and the Democratic Underground.

Failed presidential candidate Kerry advised that he will begin the presentation of his case for President Bush's impeachment to Congress, on Monday.

Thoughts, speculations, premonitions?

Incompetence is an impeachable offense? Doesn't that violate some kind of modern day labor law or something? I thought you could only fire people for offenses totally unrelated to the performance of their job. :rofl:

I don't put that much stock in the Downing Street Memo, but you certainly could make a case that Bush has damaged the national security.

And there'd be a long string of retired generals testifying against him if Bush were impeached over Iraq. Right from the beginning, there have been conflicts between the military and the Pentagon over Iraq - from Army Gen Shinseki's 'outrageous estimate' that it would take several hundred thousand troops in Iraq to maintain peace after the invasion and his forced retirement for sticking by his estimate; to dissenting military intel assessments of Iraq's WMD which were ignored (in fact, the Bush administration chose to use the only intel report to conclude Iraq had WMD); to criticism of the policies at Gitmo and Abu Graib encouraged by the Pentagon (Gen McCaffrey, Army general from the first Gulf War and former anti-drug czar).

I'd say he had managed something I never thought he could do - be more unpopular with the military than Clinton - except Clinton only alienated the rank and file in the military, not the leadership while Bush is popular with the rank and file, but despised by military leaders.

BobG said:
I'd say he had managed something I never thought he could do - be more unpopular with the military than Clinton - except Clinton only alienated the rank and file in the military, not the leadership while Bush is popular with the rank and file, but despised by military leaders.
I was in the military enlisted during Clinton's presidency. I don't remember any ill will towards him among the crew. Could be an isolated example. I'm skeptical how much the rank and file is enjoying Bush's reign. They have more work and are in more danger than they were with Clinton. Many have had to leave their families and their jobs and set their lives on hold in order to wage a war they disagree with. I don't believe that Bush will find much support from the military if he goes up for impeachment.

polyb said:
The Boston Globe published an article by Ralph Nader, Tuesday, in which Nader also called for President Bush’s impeachment. The story is being carried on Michael Moore’s website and the Democratic Underground. Failed presidential candidate Kerry advised that he will begin the presentation of his case for President Bush’s impeachment to Congress, on Monday.
Slightly off topic - I'd like to check out Michael Moore's website but would be afraid that I would then be added to an FBI list of potential terrorists which in turn could lead to them finding out about my overdue library book. Per the thread citing the guy who did 35 years for stealing a tv I'd be in big trouble :biggrin: . Seriously though it makes you wonder where things are going that you really do have to be careful what information you acccess even on the anonymous web.

It doesn't mention anything about Kerry pushing for an impeachment, it just talks about John Conyers Jr.

Now let me get this straight.

Blair is saying--in 2002--that Bush "fixed" intelligence information about Iraq, when Blair himself was citing the same information right up until the start of the war in --2003?

You guys are capable of better that this!

Blair didn't say that Bush "fixed" the intelligence. Matthew Rycroft, the person who wrote the memo, is describing the minutes of their meeting.

"Bush wanted to remove Saddam, through military action, justified by the conjunction of terrorism and WMD. But the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy."

full text: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1593607_1,00.html

klusener said:
Blair didn't say that Bush "fixed" the intelligence. Matthew Rycroft, the person who wrote the memo, is describing the minutes of their meeting.

"Bush wanted to remove Saddam, through military action, justified by the conjunction of terrorism and WMD. But the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy."

full text: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1593607_1,00.html

Oh, he didn't? What does this mean then?
John Kerry announced Thursday that he intends to present Congress with The Downing Street Memo, reported by the London Times 1 May 2005. As reported by NewsMax, the memo purports to include minutes from a July 2002 meeting with Tony Blair, in which Blair ostensibly said that President Bush’s Administration “fixed” intelligence on Iraq in order to justify the Iraqi war.

It sure looks to me like the author is saying that Blair said that Bush was "fixing" the intelligence.

BobG said:
Incompetence is an impeachable offense? Doesn't that violate some kind of modern day labor law or something? I thought you could only fire people for offenses totally unrelated to the performance of their job. :rofl:

Sounds about right.

Until they can prove he has committed a crime in office he cannot be impeached.

You know, like when Clinton committed perjury. That kind of crime.

Besides, he would never actually get impeached, even if he was proved beyond a shadow of a doubt (not likely to begin with) to have intentionally and knowningly lied, the vote in the House would go down party lines, and he would not be impeached. the 2 party system is broken, that's all there is to it.

Huckleberry said:
I'm skeptical how much the rank and file is enjoying Bush's reign. They have more work and are in more danger than they were with Clinton. Many have had to leave their families and their jobs and set their lives on hold in order to wage a war they disagree with. I don't believe that Bush will find much support from the military if he goes up for impeachment.

Most of the people i know who know people in Iraq say they love Bush. My nephew is going to Iraq and although he's not into politics, he likes the guy and he agrees with the war (same with the friends' friends). Although your opinion makes sense (expect the big assumption that they disagree iwth the war), my father says over and over (in regards to the military) "boy they sure love Bush... I don't know why, but they sure do"

Tonight on MSNBC's Meet The Press, Ken Mehlman, RNC Chairman was asked about the Newsweek story about Quran abuse, the Downing Street memo, Pat Tilman, etc. Not surprisingly, Mehlman continued justification of these matters and to refer to the war in Iraq as a war on terror, and a war that makes America safer. The propaganda and insult to the intelligence of Americans continues...

Well with the left-wing pushing mroe and more lies... America surely will become less intelligent over time.

wait wait wait, let's streamline the ideological process

blah blah blah, democrats suck

now you go, be quick, 1 line, must attain super efficiency.

Last edited:
Pengwuino said:
Most of the people i know who know people in Iraq say they love Bush. My nephew is going to Iraq and although he's not into politics, he likes the guy and he agrees with the war (same with the friends' friends). Although your opinion makes sense (expect the big assumption that they disagree iwth the war), my father says over and over (in regards to the military) "boy they sure love Bush... I don't know why, but they sure do"
Interesting. Maybe this is the case. I have been out of the military since late 98. Things have changed under Bush and I haven't had first hand access to the opinions of active duty military personnel.

In my defense I will say that my assumption was not such a big one. It may appear to be, but I remember a time when I was in the military and watching the news and seeing the propaganda they told. A soldier doesn't tell his true feelings to a news reporter. One of the first things you learn in the military is respect for chain of command, and the president is at the top of that chain of command. Military personnel are cautious expressing any negative opinions of the president, especially to their superiors or reporters.

Did you know that the US was in Albania as early as January 98?

Last edited:
Pengwuino said:
blah blah blah...
Do you believe the invasion of Iraq was to combat terrorism, and to make America safe? (Just doing a little assessment of intelligence.)

The latter... i don't like industrialized nations with the ability to construct nuclear weapons if they decided to with such hatred for the US. And of course, both of which were rather secondary in their importance for invading Iraq.

Pengwuino said:
The latter... i don't like industrialized nations with the ability to construct nuclear weapons if they decided to with such hatred for the US. And of course, both of which were rather secondary in their importance for invading Iraq.
Was the economy in Iraq based on industrialization or oil exports? Is ability to construct nuclear weapons sufficient reason for invasion? We know there was no connection with 9-11 or terrorists in Iraq before the invasion, but now there are terrorists in Iraq and increasingly throughout the world. How does this make America safer?

SOS2008 said:
Was the economy in Iraq based on industrialization or oil exports? Is ability to construct nuclear weapons sufficient reason for invasion? We know there was no connection with 9-11 or terrorists in Iraq before the invasion, but now there are terrorists in Iraq and increasingly throughout the world. How does this make America safer?
Unfortunately, it's a moot point now. We've created an inherently unsafe condition that we have to resolve successfully or accept living in a world we made unsafer by our own actions.

I felt it was a major issue in deciding whether Bush should be re-elected - rather than picking a candidate based on whose policies I agreed with or who I felt would make the world a better place, it came down to which candidate was least likely to make another disastorous mistake. Impeaching Bush in order for Cheney to take his place isn't going to correct the mistakes already made. Now we're kind of stuck in Iraq until the job is done, but we would have been stuck finishing the job even if Kerry were elected.

But, on the bright side, turning Iraq and Afghanistan into democracies is a time consuming enough task that Bush might not have the flexibility to make more mistakes. The sign that more trouble lies ahead would be if the US bails on a job half done. Considering the backlash the US would receive for bailing out, it's almost certain the only reason we would bail is because Bush needs those troops for a new operation.

Huckleberry said:
I was in the military enlisted during Clinton's presidency. I don't remember any ill will towards him among the crew. Could be an isolated example. I'm skeptical how much the rank and file is enjoying Bush's reign. They have more work and are in more danger than they were with Clinton. Many have had to leave their families and their jobs and set their lives on hold in order to wage a war they disagree with. I don't believe that Bush will find much support from the military if he goes up for impeachment.
I was at the Naval Academy under Clinton and in the Navy under Bush, though I left before the Iraq war. People at the Academy were very much against Clinton. Motivation was high after 9/11, but I don't remember specific feelings toward Bush.

franznietzsche said:
Besides, he would never actually get impeached, even if he was proved beyond a shadow of a doubt (not likely to begin with) to have intentionally and knowningly lied, the vote in the House would go down party lines, and he would not be impeached. the 2 party system is broken, that's all there is to it.
Exactly!

SOS2008 said:
Is ability to construct nuclear weapons sufficient reason for invasion? We know there was no connection with 9-11 or terrorists in Iraq before the invasion, but now there are terrorists in Iraq and increasingly throughout the world. How does this make America safer?
No, its the ability combined with the desire, intent, and actual act. However, to just focus on that one issue is an oversimplification of why we took down Saddam.
Not surprisingly, Mehlman continued justification of these matters and to refer to the war in Iraq as a war on terror, and a war that makes America safer.
Whether the war was started to fight terror or not, SOS, today virtually all of the fighting is against terrorists, so the characterization is appropriate.

'The word 'Terrorist' is very overused these days to the point it is, in keeping with it's historical roots, a label for anybody who holds a contrary point of view. One of the first to popularize the term was Hitler during WW2 when he described the British commandos as terrorists.
So before labelling people willy nilly as a terrorist perhaps it would be a good idea as a starting point to look at the definition of a terrorist.

As defined by the FBI, "the unlawful use of force against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population or any segment thereof, in the furtherance of political or social objectives". This definition includes three elements:

(1) Terrorist activities are illegal and involve the use of force. (2) The actions are intended to intimidate or coerce. (3) The actions are committed in support of political or social objectives. (FEMA-SS)

Now to most fair minded people that would mean the American forces fighting an illegal (as defined by the laws of the country they invaded and by the UN secretary general) war in Iraq are terrorists led by an arch-terrorist Bush. As they satisfy every condition listed above.

Understandably many US contributors to this forum would object to their armed forces being called terrorists but please can we have less of this emotive term when speaking of the forces opposing America?

I'm very tired of the propaganda. The invasion of Iraq was not a war on terror, and the war in Iraq has not made America safer.

Art said:
'The word 'Terrorist' is very overused these days to the point it is, in keeping with it's historical roots, a label for anybody who holds a contrary point of view. One of the first to popularize the term was Hitler during WW2 when he described the British commandos as terrorists.
So before labelling people willy nilly as a terrorist perhaps it would be a good idea as a starting point to look at the definition of a terrorist.

As defined by the FBI, "the unlawful use of force against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population or any segment thereof, in the furtherance of political or social objectives". This definition includes three elements:

(1) Terrorist activities are illegal and involve the use of force. (2) The actions are intended to intimidate or coerce. (3) The actions are committed in support of political or social objectives. (FEMA-SS)
So far so good...
Now to most fair minded people that would mean the American forces fighting an illegal (as defined by the laws of the country they invaded and by the UN secretary general) war in Iraq are terrorists led by an arch-terrorist Bush. As they satisfy every condition listed above.
Come again? Illegal by Iraq's law? War falls under international law and Iraq was in constant violation of the treaty ending the 1991 war - that alone means the war never ended. Next, UN resolution 1441 (unanamously approved) threatens the use of force for non-compliance. The UN didn't follow through - the US did.

But let's get more basic: if the war was a violation of international law, why hasn't the UN acted on that? The general assembly isn't real fond of the US - getting charges through would be a piece of cake. No, the reason is that it wasn't a violation of international law.

Now, let's also look at the definition and compare it to the US's actions: "to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population or any segment thereof..." The point of the war was to remove the dictator Saddam Hussein from power. The only coercion involved was prior to the war and it was to get him to start obeying international law. The US is now trying to keep order in Iraq. To ensure security for the population. We are not trying to coerce the population or the government to do anything - we aren't fighting either.

Most of our opposition's actions these days are directed against the Iraqi people and government for the purpose of coercing them into an Islamic government, or at the very least, simply to oppose the one being formed. That's why they are bombing civilians, police, polling places (during the election), and assassinating democratically elected leaders. Its textbook terrorism.

So Art - its you who is overusing the word.
Understandably many US contributors to this forum would object to their armed forces being called terrorists but please can we have less of this emotive term when speaking of the forces opposing America?
Yes, please - apply the definition evenly, Mr. Pot.

SOS2008 said:
I'm very tired of the propaganda. The invasion of Iraq was not a war on terror, and the war in Iraq has not made America safer.

Oddly enough, the complaint is inconsistant with the final statement as what you say is simply left-wing propaganda.

Pengwuino said:
Oddly enough, the complaint is inconsistant with the final statement as what you say is simply left-wing propaganda.
Yeah, it's just left wing propaganda -- Iraq was invaded because of links to Al 'Qeada/9-11, and if it was not for the war in Iraq, America would be in danger of attack by Saddam. In the meantime, the rest of the world has more respect and support for the US and the war, which along with Abu Graib, Guantamano Bay, etc. has caused the threat of terrorism to decrease.

So core Bush supporters continue to believe the trash talk, but it is not likely to help with swing voters. As stated in the "What's Wrong With The Republican Party" thread:

Informal Logic said:
Iraq/Foreign Affairs – Aside from the ongoing death tolls, Americans did not appreciate being deceived about the war.

...I hope they [Republicans] continue to be delusional idiots and continue to ignore the polls.

Informal Logic said:
Yeah, it's just left wing propaganda -- Iraq was invaded because of links to Al 'Qeada/9-11, and if it was not for the war in Iraq, America would be in danger of attack by Saddam. In the meantime, the rest of the world has more respect and support for the US and the war, which along with Abu Graib, Guantamano Bay, etc. has caused the threat of terrorism to decrease.

Although Saddam didnt pose a threat to the US directly, violating many many UN sanctions and murdering his own people was a good thing? I've yet to hear an explnation as to why we should have allowed such activity to continue. And as I have heard exactly what you said abouta thousand times in aalmost the exact same words, ill respond in the exact same words. The world listens to falsified left-wing propaganda that attempts to undermine the US. But then again maybe that's laughable. Maybe newsweek did follow up and verified the supposed toilet incident and it turned out to true. Or maybe amnesty international is right when they compared Gitmo to the Russian gulag as I am sure millions of innocent people were murdered at Gitmo. But then again maybe the Red Cross was right when they demanded they shut down a few prisons because a few people were caught with their pants down (literally) although not a word when saddam did the same except 'a few people caught with their pants down' was 'a few hundred thousand people were shot'. But then again maybe the US is evil when it "mistreats" (as in, carefully carries every holy book with surgical gloves) holy books yet allow the Bible to be burnt and defecated on elsewhere (even in the states itself).

But I guess your completely right. We look like fools and are a horrible nation! How dare we get rid of a murderous corupt dictator giving millions of dollars in bribes to UN officials. How dare we...