Kibble problem (linear motion chap. 2)

• Thread starter levilevi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the homework statement is that a particle of mass m moves under a force F. The potential energy function is found to be E-V(x), where V''(x) is the equilibrium position. Frequency of small oscillations about equilibrium is determined to be w/(2k/m).
levilevi

Homework Statement

7. A particle of mass m moves (in the region x > 0) under a force F =
−kx+c/x, where k and c are positive constants. Find the corresponding
potential energy function. Determine the position of equilibrium, and
the frequency of small oscillations about it.

Homework Equations

dx/dt = [(2/m)(E - V(x)]^1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

dx/[(2/m)(E+ Clnx - (1/2)kx^2]^1/2 = dt
V = -Clnx + (1/2)kx^2]^1/2
i think at equilibrum point V(x) must be zero but then how can i continue? This is en exam question and i must solve it completely correct. Thank you for your answers. (my firt language is not english. Sorry for mistakes.)

Physics news on Phys.org
levilevi said:
i think at equilibrum point V(x) must be zero but then how can i continue?
V(x) is not zero at equilibrium. What does equilibrium mean to you?

Thanks, you are right. Total force, i think is zero at equilibrium point. So;
-ka + [tex]\frac{c}{a}[/tex] = 0 (a = equilibrium point.) k = c/a2
Is it true?

levilevi said:
Thanks, you are right. Total force, i think is zero at equilibrium point. So;
-ka + [tex]\frac{c}{a}[/tex] = 0 (a = equilibrium point.) k = c/a2
Is it true?
It is true. If this is an exam question, you have to finish it by yourself. I will not tell you how to solve it, but I can tell you if something is correct or not and the rest is up to you.

The exam was three days ago. Nobody could solve this question and a similar one (in which F = -kx +a/x^3) The teacher gave us as a homework. If i will solve maybe my exam mark will increase but i am not sure this. Maybe not. If you don not want to help it is up to you. I will study on it again and again...

Last edited:
I solved at last. a=(c/k)^1/2 and w=(2k/m)^1/2 , w=(V''(a) /m)^1/2. Thanks.

What is the Kibble problem in linear motion chapter 2?

The Kibble problem refers to a theoretical challenge in the field of linear motion that was proposed by physicist Tom Kibble in the 1960s. It involves the quantization of a relativistic scalar field in a flat spacetime.

Why is the Kibble problem important?

The Kibble problem is important because it addresses a fundamental question in physics: how to consistently describe the quantum behavior of particles in a relativistic framework. It also has implications for understanding the behavior of matter in extreme conditions, such as in the early universe.

What is the current status of solving the Kibble problem?

As of now, the Kibble problem remains unsolved. Researchers have proposed various approaches and attempted to apply existing theories, such as quantum field theory, to address the problem. However, a complete solution has not yet been achieved.

What are some proposed solutions to the Kibble problem?

Some proposed solutions include introducing new mathematical frameworks, such as supersymmetry, or modifying existing theories, such as quantum field theory. Other approaches involve studying the problem in different contexts, such as in curved spacetime or using numerical simulations.

What are the implications of solving the Kibble problem?

If the Kibble problem is successfully solved, it could lead to a deeper understanding of the fundamental nature of matter and the universe. It could also have practical applications in fields such as cosmology and particle physics. Additionally, solving the Kibble problem could potentially open up new avenues for research and advance our understanding of quantum mechanics.