Kinematic - parabolic move

• Thread starter PhyNewie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematic
In summary, the conversation discusses the thrown angle of a body with a weight w and a horizontal wind force F in order to achieve maximum height equal to horizontal length. The initial velocity of the body in the x and y axes is also considered. The problem is to calculate the angle, and the suggested approach is to apply equations of motion along the horizontal and vertical directions separately and equate the range and maximum height. The use of standard projectile formulas is discouraged.
PhyNewie

Homework Statement

What is the thrown angle of a body with a weight w, to make the maximun height equal to the horizontal lenght. Also exists a horizontal wind's force F that acts over the body?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think these are the relations, or i am wrong?
1. (Vo^2.sin^2[tex]\alpha[/tex])/2g = (Vo^2.sin[tex]\alpha[/tex])/g
2. Vox = Vox . Cos[tex]\alpha[/tex] - F
Voy = Voy sen[tex]\alpha[/tex] - W

Physics news on Phys.org
Equated range with max. height but range changes with the horizontal force. The other two relations I do not understand. Could you please tell us what you are thinking?

aim1732 said:
Equated range with max. height but range changes with the horizontal force. The other two relations I do not understand. Could you please tell us what you are thinking?

The other relations are just the initial velocity of the body in the x-axis and in the y axis. I am trying to use that relations to solve the problem, they are not part of the problem

The problem is to calculate the angle, and the conditions are: - the max height = horizontal length , also the wind force F acts over the body, also is considered the weight of the body.

I suposse that the wind force F changes the body velocity in the x-axis so there an desaceleration, and the body's weight w modifies the movement in the y axis, so what could the relations to solve that.

I think you need to stop guessing.
Apply the equations of motion along the horizontal and vertical directions separately. Calculate range and max. height and equate them. Trying to use the standard formulae for projectiles is confusing you.

I would first clarify the terms used in the problem. It seems that the problem is asking for the optimal angle at which to throw a body with weight w, in order to achieve the maximum height equal to the horizontal length. Additionally, there is a horizontal wind force F acting on the body.

To solve this problem, we can use the kinematic equations to determine the optimal angle. The first equation, (Vo^2.sin^2\alpha)/2g = (Vo^2.sin\alpha)/g, relates the initial velocity (Vo) of the body, the angle of the throw (alpha), and the acceleration due to gravity (g) to the maximum height achieved by the body. This equation assumes no external forces acting on the body.

However, in this problem, there is a horizontal wind force F acting on the body. This means that the horizontal velocity of the body (Vox) will be affected by this force. The second equation, Vox = Vox . Cos\alpha - F, takes into account this horizontal force and allows us to calculate the horizontal velocity of the body.

Finally, we can use the third equation, Voy = Voy sen\alpha - W, to calculate the vertical velocity of the body, taking into account the weight of the body (W). By manipulating these equations, we can find the optimal angle at which to throw the body in order to achieve the desired maximum height.

In conclusion, the problem can be solved using the kinematic equations, taking into account the external horizontal force and the weight of the body. With these calculations, we can determine the optimal angle for the throw.

1. What is kinematic - parabolic move?

Kinematic - parabolic move is a type of motion in which an object follows a curved path described by a parabolic equation. It is a combination of both linear and accelerated motion.

2. How is kinematic - parabolic move different from other types of motion?

Kinematic - parabolic move is different from other types of motion, such as linear or circular motion, because it follows a curved path rather than a straight line or circle.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a kinematic - parabolic move?

The trajectory of a kinematic - parabolic move is affected by the initial velocity, angle of projection, and the presence of external forces such as gravity or air resistance.

4. What is the equation used to calculate the trajectory of a kinematic - parabolic move?

The equation used to calculate the trajectory of a kinematic - parabolic move is y = xtanθ - (gx^2)/(2v^2cos^2θ), where x and y are the horizontal and vertical positions, θ is the angle of projection, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and v is the initial velocity.

5. How is kinematic - parabolic move used in real-world applications?

Kinematic - parabolic move is used in various real-world applications, such as projectile motion in sports (e.g. throwing a ball), physics experiments, and in the trajectory of objects launched from a height (e.g. rockets or fireworks).