1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematic - parabolic move

1. Jul 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the thrown angle of a body with a weight w, to make the maximun height equal to the horizontal lenght. Also exists a horizontal wind's force F that acts over the body?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think these are the relations, or i am wrong???
    1. (Vo^2.sin^2[tex]\alpha[/tex])/2g = (Vo^2.sin[tex]\alpha[/tex])/g
    2. Vox = Vox . Cos[tex]\alpha[/tex] - F
    Voy = Voy sen[tex]\alpha[/tex] - W

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2010 #2
    Equated range with max. height but range changes with the horizontal force. The other two relations I do not understand. Could you please tell us what you are thinking?

4. Jul 22, 2010 #3
    The other relations are just the initial velocity of the body in the x axis and in the y axis. I am trying to use that relations to solve the problem, they are not part of the problem

The problem is to calculate the angle, and the conditions are: - the max height = horizontal lenght , also the wind force F acts over the body, also is considered the weight of the body.

I suposse that the wind force F changes the body velocity in the x axis so there an desaceleration, and the body's weight w modifies the movement in the y axis, so what could the relations to solve that.

5. Jul 23, 2010 #4
    I think you need to stop guessing.
    Apply the equations of motion along the horizontal and vertical directions separately. Calculate range and max. height and equate them. Trying to use the standard formulae for projectiles is confusing you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook