Sketch a Kinematic Scheme | Help with Joints

• Thread starter disclaimer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematic
In summary, the conversation involves a request for help in sketching a kinematic scheme of a structure with challenging sliding joints. The ultimate goal is to represent the machine with simplified symbols in 3D.
disclaimer
I am not sure if I'm in the right section to post this, but I'm going to try anyway...

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/6281/clipboard02ub1.jpg

Could anybody please show me how to sketch a kinematc scheme of this structure? I don't know how to represent the joints (especially the sliding ones).

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The diagram looks challenging. I'd like to help but I don't know what you mean by a kinematic scheme. What's your ultimate goal? To get an equation for the position/orientation of reference frame six as a function of the position/orientation of all the other reference frames?

MikeLizzi said:
The diagram looks challenging. I'd like to help but I don't know what you mean by a kinematic scheme. What's your ultimate goal? To get an equation for the position/orientation of reference frame six as a function of the position/orientation of all the other reference frames?

My goal is to represent that machine replacing its parts with special symbols (basically I have to draw its simplified representation), and it seems easier, now that I found out it can be 3-D.

You already have a diagram in 3D. You want to replace that nice diagram with something more abstract? Do you have a symbol set in mind?

What is a kinematic scheme?

A kinematic scheme is a diagram that illustrates the connections and movement of individual parts in a mechanical system. It is commonly used in engineering and robotics to understand the motion and behavior of machines.

What are joints in a kinematic scheme?

Joints are the points where two or more parts of a mechanical system are connected and allow for relative movement between them. They are an essential component in a kinematic scheme and are classified into different types based on their range of motion.

Why is it important to sketch a kinematic scheme?

Sketching a kinematic scheme helps in visualizing the movement of individual parts and understanding how the system works. It also aids in identifying potential problems and optimizing the design for better performance.

What are the different types of joints used in kinematic schemes?

There are several types of joints used in kinematic schemes, including revolute, prismatic, cylindrical, spherical, planar, and universal joints. Each type has a specific range of motion and is used for different purposes depending on the mechanical system.

How do I draw a kinematic scheme?

To draw a kinematic scheme, you need to identify the main parts of the system, the joints connecting them, and the direction of movement. Start by drawing the stationary parts and then add the moving parts and joints. Use arrows to indicate the direction of motion and label each part and joint for clarity.