Calculating Initial Velocity of a Basketball Shot

In summary, the problem involves a basketball player standing at a distance of 9.5m from a basket at a height of 3.1m. The ball is thrown from an initial height of 2.0m at an angle of 35 degrees above horizontal, and goes straight through the basket. To find the initial velocity, the equations for range and kinematics can be used. However, it is important to include the variable t next to the initial velocity in the y-component distance formula. This was a mistake made in the original work, resulting in incorrect answers.
Mgh3
1. Problem
a basketball player is standing 9.5m from the basket which is at a height of 3.1m. She throws the ball from an initial height of 2.0m at an angle of 35 degrees above horizontal. The ball goes straight through the basket. Find v initial

2. Equations
Any range / Kinematic equations

3. My work
I tried separating the problem into x and y components, then used
-2 = Vi sin 35 + (1/2) * g * t^2
and
dx = Vi cos 35 * t

But this kept giving me incorrect answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations are mostly correct, but you forget the ##t## variable next to ##v_i\sin(35^{\circ})##. That is because the ##y##-component distance formula is ##y(t) = y_0 + v_i\sin(\theta)t + \dfrac{1}{2}gt^2##. Be sure to first express in that form.

What is initial velocity?

Initial velocity, also known as initial speed, is the speed at which an object starts to move. In the case of a basketball shot, it is the speed at which the ball leaves the player's hand.

Why is calculating initial velocity important in basketball?

Calculating initial velocity is important in basketball because it helps players determine the strength and accuracy of their shots. It can also help coaches analyze and improve their players' shooting techniques.

What factors affect the initial velocity of a basketball shot?

The initial velocity of a basketball shot can be affected by a variety of factors, including the angle of release, the force applied, the weight of the ball, and air resistance. The type of surface the ball is being shot on can also play a role.

How can the initial velocity of a basketball shot be calculated?

The initial velocity of a basketball shot can be calculated by using the equation v0 = √(gh/2sinθ), where v0 is the initial velocity, g is the gravitational acceleration (9.8 m/s2), h is the height of the shot, and θ is the angle of release.

Is it possible to calculate the initial velocity of a basketball shot without using equations?

Yes, it is possible to estimate the initial velocity of a basketball shot without using equations. This can be done by using a radar gun or a motion capture system to measure the speed of the ball as it leaves the player's hand. However, using equations can provide a more accurate calculation of the initial velocity.