1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics Acceleration

1. Jul 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A sled starts from rest and slides down an inclined plane with constant acceleration. In three seconds, it has travelled 9m. How long does it take to reach a velocity of 24m / s?

2. Relevant equations
    d = vi * t + ½ * a * t^2, vi = 0

vf = vi + a * t, vi = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    d = vi * t + ½ * a * t^2, vi = 0
    9 = ½ * a * 3^2
    a = 18 ÷ 9 = 2 m/s^2
    To determine the time, we need to determine the sled’s acceleration.

vf = vi + a * t, vi = 0
    24 = 2 * t
    t = 12 seconds.

I solved this problem with help of someone else . The thing I don't understand is why can't we use 9,81 m/s2 for acceleration . Because the sled is sliding down . Doesn't it has to do with gravity ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2016 #2
    You can't use 9.81 because the ramp is not completely vertical. Only a portion of the acceleration due to gravity is accelerating the sled

4. Jul 27, 2016 #3
    But this can be a 2D motion right ? with horizontal and vertical components ?

5. Jul 27, 2016 #4
    yes, it can.

6. Jul 27, 2016 #5
    To explore it using horizontal and vertical components you would need the angle of the plane though

7. Jul 27, 2016 #6
    Oh thats right . The angle is indeed not given . Thank you very much . I know it was a very dumb question .

8. Jul 27, 2016 #7
    not a dumb question at all

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted