Kinematics HMWK Help: Gr 12 Physics Projectile Motion

• Thread starter humaders99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the medievil prince threw a rock with an initial velocity of 8.9 m/s from a height of 9.5 m above the moat. The rock landed just on the far side of the moat, at a level of 9.5 m below the initial level. The time of flight was 2.4 seconds. The width of the moat was 22 m.
humaders99
Kinematics HMWK help!

hi, I am in gr 12 physics and i need help in a kinematics question about Projectile motion... here is the question:

"a medievil prince is trapped in a castle wraps a message around a rock and throws it from the top of the castlewall with an initial velocity of 12 m/s [42 degrees above the horizontal]. The rock lands just on the far side of the casltes moat, at a level of 9.5 m below the initial level. Determine the (a) time of flight (b) width of moat and (c) velocity at impact"

i really can't figure this out and i need help ASAP:eek:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, welcome aboard!
What work have you done on this problem?
What do you know? What are you looking for? Any ideas of what equation(s) you'll need to use?

ok well what i have so far is my vertical and horizontal velocities, which are 8.0 m/s and 8.9 m/s respectively...and i don't know where to go from here... i tried using d=v1t + 1/2 at*2 but when i put it in the quadratic formula i can't get it to work :confused: so i don't know where to go from here

humaders99 said:
ok well what i have so far is my vertical and horizontal velocities, which are 8.0 m/s and 8.9 m/s respectively...and i don't know where to go from here... i tried using d=v1t + 1/2 at*2 but when i put it in the quadratic formula i can't get it to work :confused: so i don't know where to go from here

OK, so it sounds like you're solving for x and y components separately, which is very good.

You know more than that: assign a value for the initial x position (I'd use 0m) and y position (which you could set at zero, but since the rock falls below the throw line, you'd have a lot of negatives flying around. I don't like negatives, so I'd set the initial y position as the height of the wall--which is given). You also know that there is no acceleration in the x direction, and the acceleration in the y direction is acceleration due to gravity.
I suggest starting by solving for time, using an equation involving y-components only.

ok ... now i have figured out the time ... it is 2.4 s ... how would i figure out the length of the moat? would i have to use the x components now? and if i do how would i do that?

yes, yes!

I'd use [itex]x=x_{0}+v_{0x}t+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/itex]

Remember that x acceleration = 0.

ok i got the length of the moat (22 m) ! thanks for ur help... but i have one more question that i hope u can answer... how would i figure out the velocity at impact?

nvm... i got it ... i just used [itex]V_2^2=V_1^2+2ad[/itex]... and i got the answer :) thnx again for ur help

hey I am new here and need some help with a few basic questions

is anyone online?

can anyone in here help me with some questions

it might help if you posted your question...

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves in a curved path due to the force of gravity. It is a type of motion that can be described using kinematics, which is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects.

2. How is projectile motion different from regular motion?

Unlike regular motion, projectile motion involves an object moving in two dimensions (horizontal and vertical) simultaneously. This is because the object is being acted upon by two forces – its initial velocity and the force of gravity.

3. What is the role of gravity in projectile motion?

Gravity is the force that pulls an object towards the Earth's center. In projectile motion, gravity causes the object to accelerate downwards, which results in the curved path of the object. The acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2 and is constant throughout the motion.

4. How is the trajectory of a projectile determined?

The trajectory of a projectile is determined by its initial velocity, the angle at which it is launched, and the force of gravity. By using kinematic equations, we can calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object at any given time.

5. What factors affect the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, the launch angle, and the height from which the object is launched. Other factors such as air resistance and wind can also affect the range. A higher initial velocity, a larger launch angle, and a higher launch height will result in a longer range for the projectile.