Calculating a Prince's Message: Flight Time, Moat Width and Impact Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses a prince trapped in a castle who throws a rock with an initial velocity of 12 m/s at a 42 degree angle above the horizontal. The rock lands on the far side of the castle's moat, 9.5m below the initial level. The task is to determine the time of flight, width of the moat, and velocity of impact. The equations of motion are referenced to solve for these values. The person asking for help has lost their formula sheet but believes they can still solve the problem with a refresher on the equations.
LampMan

Homework Statement

A prince trapped in a castle wraps a message around a rock and throws it from the top wall with an initial velocity of 12 m/s [42 deg above the horizontal] the rock lands just on the far side of the castles moat at a level 9.5m below the initial level. determine the rocks:
a) time of flight
b) width of moat
c) velocity of impact

Homework Equations

i don't know I've lost my formula sheet (but theyre basic ones) if i can just have my memory refreshed on what the equations are i can probably do it plus be able to continue on the rest of the unit exam review. my exam is next week and this question isn't for marks but for studying and i need help please

The Attempt at a Solution

dont know where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
v = u + a*t
s = ut + 0.5*a*t^2
v^2 = u^2 + 2as

v - final velocity
u - initial velocity
s - distance traversed

use the two components of the initial velocity and proceed

I would first gather all the relevant information from the given scenario. From the initial velocity (12 m/s at 42 degrees above horizontal), I can calculate the initial horizontal and vertical components of the velocity using the equations v_x = v*cos(theta) and v_y = v*sin(theta). In this case, v_x = 12*cos(42) = 8.59 m/s and v_y = 12*sin(42) = 7.93 m/s.

Next, I would use the equation y = y_0 + v_y*t - 0.5*g*t^2 to calculate the time of flight (t) by setting y = 9.5 m (final height) and y_0 = 0 (initial height). Solving for t, I get t = 1.62 seconds.

To calculate the width of the moat, I would use the equation x = x_0 + v_x*t, where x_0 is the initial horizontal position (which we can assume to be 0 since the rock is thrown from the top of the wall). Plugging in the values, I get x = 8.59*1.62 = 13.92 meters. Therefore, the width of the moat is approximately 13.92 meters.

Finally, to calculate the velocity of impact, I would use the equation v^2 = v_x^2 + v_y^2 - 2*g*(y - y_0) where v is the total velocity at impact and y is the final height (9.5 m) and y_0 is the initial height (0). Solving for v, I get v = 12.07 m/s.

In conclusion, the time of flight is 1.62 seconds, the width of the moat is approximately 13.92 meters, and the velocity of impact is 12.07 m/s. These calculations can help the prince determine the best way to get his message across the moat to reach potential rescuers.

Related to Calculating a Prince's Message: Flight Time, Moat Width and Impact Velocity

1. How do you calculate flight time?

The flight time of a projectile can be calculated using the equation t = 2Vsin(theta)/g, where V is the initial velocity, theta is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What factors affect the flight time of a projectile?

The flight time of a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, launch angle, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as air resistance, wind, and the shape of the projectile can also impact the flight time.

3. How do you calculate the width of a moat?

The width of a moat can be calculated by measuring the distance from one side of the moat to the other. If the moat is not a straight line, the width can be calculated by dividing the circumference of the moat by pi (π).

4. Can the impact velocity of a projectile be calculated?

Yes, the impact velocity of a projectile can be calculated using the equation v = √(V0^2 + 2gh), where V0 is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the projectile at impact.

5. How accurate are the calculations for a prince's message?

The accuracy of the calculations for a prince's message depends on the accuracy of the measurements and the assumptions made in the calculations. Factors such as air resistance and wind can also affect the accuracy of the calculations. It is important to carefully consider all variables and sources of error when calculating a prince's message.