What is the Speed and Centripetal Acceleration of a Rotating Grinding Wheel?

In summary, the grinding wheel has a radius of 7.6cm and is rotating at 1750 rpm. The speed of a point on the outer edge of the wheel is 13.93 cm/s, and the centripetal acceleration of the point is 2553.2 cm/s^2. This can also be represented using the symbol π, which can be typed using LaTeX or "π" without using it.
frozen7
A grinding wheel (radius 7.6cm) is rotating at 1750 rpm.
(a) What i the speed of a point on the outer edge of the wheel?
(b)What is the centripetal acceleration of the point?

I do this question in this way:

(a) f= 1750rpm = 29.167rps => T= 1/f = 0.03428

v= (2"pie"r) / T
= 13.93
(sorry...I don't know how to key in "pie", can anyone teach me?)

(b) a = (v^2) / r
= 2553.2

Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
frozen7 said:
sorry...I don't know how to key in "pie", can anyone teach me
without using TEX, u can also create the symbol π by typing "&" then "pi" then ";" (semicolon) like this: π

Last edited:

FAQ: What is the Speed and Centripetal Acceleration of a Rotating Grinding Wheel?

What is Kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects, without taking into account the forces that cause the motion.

What are the main equations used in Kinematics?

The main equations used in Kinematics are the equations of motion, which include displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. These equations are commonly known as the "SUVAT" equations.

What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement is defined as the change in position of an object from its original position, while distance is the total length traveled by an object. Displacement takes into account the direction of motion, while distance does not.

How do we calculate average velocity?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the change in displacement by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation v = (xf - xi) / (tf - ti), where v is the average velocity, xf and xi are the final and initial positions, and tf and ti are the final and initial times.

What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the average rate of change of an object's position over a period of time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. Average velocity can be calculated using displacement and time, while instantaneous velocity can be calculated using the derivative of displacement with respect to time.

Back