1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics of a particle

1. Oct 29, 2016 #1

Kajan thana

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball is thrown horizontally wit speed 20m/s, from the top of the building which is 30m high.
    Find the time the ball takes to reach the ground?

2. Relevant equations
    S= ut+0.5at^2
    3. The attempt at a solution
    S=-30
    u=0
    A=9.8
    T=?

When I pluck the values I will get t^s=-30/4.9 but when we square root we will get complex number, but if I take the displacement as +30 then it will give me a positive value, so I am confused on why the s is not negative.

If I say the displacement where the ball is on top of the building, then the displacement is 0 but if it goes down then it should be negative value.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2016 #2
    I think if I was working this problem, to make it easiest, I would define the down direction as positive (that way acceleration and displacement will both be positive) and the top of the building as x=0. Or you could define down as negative and acceleration and displacement would be negative. But it's for sure that if you throw a ball off of a building, the time required for the ball to hit the ground will be a positive value.

4. Oct 29, 2016 #3

Kajan thana

Gold Member

Perfect, I thought about this, but I did not know if this will be right.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted