Kinematics of a Thrown Ball: Finding Time to Reach Ground

In summary, the question is about finding the time it takes for a ball thrown horizontally with a speed of 20m/s from the top of a 30m building to reach the ground. The formula used is S = ut + 0.5at^2, and after plugging in the given values, the solution results in a complex number. The confusion arises from the displacement (s) not being negative, even though it is expected to be since the ball is thrown downward. The solution suggests defining the downwards direction as positive, which would result in both acceleration and displacement being positive. Alternatively, the downwards direction can be defined as negative, which would make both acceleration and displacement negative. Regardless, the time required for the ball to
Kajan thana

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown horizontally wit speed 20m/s, from the top of the building which is 30m high.
Find the time the ball takes to reach the ground?

Homework Equations

S= ut+0.5at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

S=-30
u=0
A=9.8
T=?

When I pluck the values I will get t^s=-30/4.9 but when we square root we will get complex number, but if I take the displacement as +30 then it will give me a positive value, so I am confused on why the s is not negative.

If I say the displacement where the ball is on top of the building, then the displacement is 0 but if it goes down then it should be negative value.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think if I was working this problem, to make it easiest, I would define the down direction as positive (that way acceleration and displacement will both be positive) and the top of the building as x=0. Or you could define down as negative and acceleration and displacement would be negative. But it's for sure that if you throw a ball off of a building, the time required for the ball to hit the ground will be a positive value.

Likes Kajan thana
TomHart said:
I think if I was working this problem, to make it easiest, I would define the down direction as positive (that way acceleration and displacement will both be positive) and the top of the building as x=0. Or you could define down as negative and acceleration and displacement would be negative. But it's for sure that if you throw a ball off of a building, the time required for the ball to hit the ground will be a positive value.
Perfect, I thought about this, but I did not know if this will be right.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Likes TomHart

What is kinematics of a particle?

Kinematics of a particle is the study of the motion of an object without considering the forces that cause the motion. It focuses on the position, velocity, and acceleration of the particle in relation to time.

What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement is the shortest distance between the initial and final positions of a particle, while distance is the total length of the path traveled by the particle. Displacement is a vector quantity and distance is a scalar quantity.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the rate at which a particle covers distance, while velocity is the rate at which a particle changes its displacement. Speed is a scalar quantity and velocity is a vector quantity.

What is the formula for average velocity?

The formula for average velocity is displacement divided by time, or Δx/Δt. It is a vector quantity and its unit is meters per second (m/s).

What is the equation of motion for a particle with constant acceleration?

The equation of motion for a particle with constant acceleration is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time interval. This equation is known as the second equation of motion.