Kinematics of a Pendulum with Two Different Masses

• Thread starter Kokobird321
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rod
In summary: I think it might be better to use the translational energy instead. Let's call it ##\Delta L##. Then the Euler-Lagrange equation becomes$$\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\dot{\theta}}\right)=\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\theta}\iff \ddot{\theta}(mL^2+ML^2)=k_T\theta-MgL\frac{1}{2}\cos\left(45-\frac{\theta}{2}\right)+mgL\sin\theta$$which now becomes$$\frac
Kokobird321
Summary:: Classical problem about a pendulum!

The problem itself:
1600115362092.png

My FBD:
1600115379023.png

I want to solve the problem with vectors, I think that you can use energy principle somehow. If we define the vector ##\vec{O}_B=\begin{bmatrix}0\\ -1\end{bmatrix}## and define a rotational matrix where

$$R=\begin{bmatrix}cos\varphi & -\sin\varphi\\ \sin\varphi & \cos\varphi\end{bmatrix}$$

just to rotate the vector ##O_B## 30 degrees counterclockwise, but I will need to know its velocity ##\dot{\theta}## when ##\theta=30^{\circ}## somehow. Not sure how to proceed though.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think mechanical energy conservation is the way to go. Start with total mechanical energy equal to zero and then sort out the various kinetic and potential energies when the angle is 30o.

It becomes very trivial, I wanted a different approach :smile:

Kokobird321 said:
It becomes very trivial, I wanted a different approach :smile:
Lagrangian formulation? I am not sure whether the equations of motion are solvable analytically.

Sure why not! For the lagrangian I get

$$\mathcal{L}=T-V=\frac{1}{2}m(L\dot{\theta})^2+\frac{1}{2}M(L\dot{\theta})^2+\frac{1}{2}k_T\theta^2-(Mgh-mgH)$$

so

$$\mathcal{L}=T-V=\frac{1}{2}m(L\dot{\theta})^2+\frac{1}{2}M(L\dot{\theta})^2+\frac{1}{2}k_T\theta^2-Mg\left[\sqrt{2}L-2Lsin\left(\frac{90-\theta}{2}\right)\right]+mg\left[L-L\cos\theta\right]$$

$$\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\theta}=k_T\theta-MgL\frac{1}{2}\cos\left(45-\frac{\theta}{2}\right)+mgL\sin\theta$$

and

$$\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot{\theta}}=mL^2\dot{\theta}+ML^2\dot{\theta}\Longrightarrow\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\dot{\theta}}\right)=mL^2\ddot{\theta}+ML^2\ddot{\theta}=\ddot{\theta}(mL^2+ML^2).$$

Euler-Lagrange gives

$$\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\dot{\theta}}\right)=\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\theta}\iff \ddot{\theta}(mL^2+ML^2)=k_T\theta-MgL\frac{1}{2}\cos\left(45-\frac{\theta}{2}\right)+mgL\sin\theta$$

$$\ddot{\theta}=\frac{1}{mL^2+ML^2}\left[k_T\theta-MgL\frac{1}{2}\cos\left(45-\frac{\theta}{2}\right)+mgL\sin\theta\right]$$

How do I proceed from here? :smile:

Last edited:
What are your generalized coordinates? What are the constraints?

The term ##\dfrac{1}{2}ML^2\dot \theta^2## doesn't look right to me for the kinetic energy of the vertically hanging mass.

1. What is a rod with two different masses?

A rod with two different masses is a physical object that has two distinct regions with different masses. This means that the rod has a non-uniform distribution of mass along its length.

2. How is the center of mass of a rod with two different masses calculated?

The center of mass of a rod with two different masses can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the two masses. This is done by multiplying each mass by its distance from the reference point and then dividing the sum of these products by the total mass of the rod.

3. Can a rod with two different masses have a stable equilibrium?

Yes, a rod with two different masses can have a stable equilibrium if the center of mass is located at the pivot point or the point of suspension. This means that the rod will not rotate when disturbed and will remain in a balanced position.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect the rotational motion of a rod with two different masses?

The distribution of mass along a rod with two different masses affects its rotational motion by changing the position of the center of mass. This, in turn, affects the moment of inertia and the torque required to rotate the rod.

5. How does a rod with two different masses behave when subjected to external forces?

A rod with two different masses will undergo rotational motion when subjected to external forces. The direction and magnitude of the rotation will depend on the location of the center of mass and the magnitude and direction of the external forces.