1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics Question

1. Aug 11, 2005 #1
    A fireman, 28.7 m away from a burning building, directs a stream of water from a ground level fire hose at an angle of 49.5° above the horizontal. If the speed is 39.6 m/s, at what height will the stream of water hit the building?

Got this right on the first test, and can't figure it out again right now for some reason?!

Anyway, I figured 39.6cos49.5 should be Vxo, and a = Vxo^2/28.7 m
    That gives me Vxo = 25.72 m/s, a = 23.05 m/s^2
    I have a suspicion that if something is wrong, it has to do with how I calculated a - am I right?

Anyway, I plugged that into x = xo + Vxo*t + 0.5*a*t^2

Then I found t, and plugged all of the numbers I have into
    y = yo + vyo*t - 0.5*g*t^2

of course, vyo = 39.6sin49.5 = 30.112 m/s

I keep getting the wrong answer

Any suggestions? Thanks a ton

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The acceleration is known: It's 9.8 m/s^2 downward.

What you need to calculate is the time it takes for the water to travel the horizontal distance to the building. Then use that in your equation for vertical postion to find the height.

4. Aug 11, 2005 #3
    in trying to find the time that water is travelling horizontally, don't I need a horizontal acceleration?

5. Aug 11, 2005 #4
    Nope, there is no acceleration horizontally. It has a velocity component in the horizontal direciton which is what you need to use to find the time it takes.

6. Aug 11, 2005 #5
    got it, thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?