Solve Kinematics Fireman Question: 28.7m, 49.5°, 39.6m/s

• Thread starter pkossak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the fireman, 28.7 m away from a burning building, aims a fire hose at an angle of 49.5° above the horizontal with a speed of 39.6 m/s. To find the height at which the water will hit the building, the horizontal acceleration is not needed. The time it takes for the water to travel horizontally can be calculated using the horizontal velocity component, which is then used in the equation for vertical position to find the height. The acceleration of gravity is known to be 9.8 m/s^2 downward.
pkossak
A fireman, 28.7 m away from a burning building, directs a stream of water from a ground level fire hose at an angle of 49.5° above the horizontal. If the speed is 39.6 m/s, at what height will the stream of water hit the building?

Got this right on the first test, and can't figure it out again right now for some reason?!

Anyway, I figured 39.6cos49.5 should be Vxo, and a = Vxo^2/28.7 m
That gives me Vxo = 25.72 m/s, a = 23.05 m/s^2
I have a suspicion that if something is wrong, it has to do with how I calculated a - am I right?

Anyway, I plugged that into x = xo + Vxo*t + 0.5*a*t^2

Then I found t, and plugged all of the numbers I have into
y = yo + vyo*t - 0.5*g*t^2

of course, vyo = 39.6sin49.5 = 30.112 m/s

I keep getting the wrong answer

Any suggestions? Thanks a ton

Physics news on Phys.org
The acceleration is known: It's 9.8 m/s^2 downward.

What you need to calculate is the time it takes for the water to travel the horizontal distance to the building. Then use that in your equation for vertical postion to find the height.

in trying to find the time that water is traveling horizontally, don't I need a horizontal acceleration?

Nope, there is no acceleration horizontally. It has a velocity component in the horizontal direciton which is what you need to use to find the time it takes.

got it, thanks a lot.

FAQ: Solve Kinematics Fireman Question: 28.7m, 49.5°, 39.6m/s

What is the equation for solving kinematics problems?

The equation for solving kinematics problems is: x = xo + vot + 1/2at^2, where x is the final position, xo is the initial position, vo is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

What does "28.7m, 49.5°, 39.6m/s" represent in the fireman question?

These values represent the distance the fireman needs to travel (28.7m), the angle at which he needs to launch the hose (49.5°), and the initial velocity of the water (39.6m/s).

How do you determine the time it takes for the fireman to reach the building?

To determine the time, we need to use the equation: x = xo + vot + 1/2at^2. We know that xo = 0, vo = 39.6m/s, and x = 28.7m. We can rearrange the equation to solve for t, which gives us t = (x - xo)/vo = 28.7m/39.6m/s = 0.726 seconds.

What is the maximum height the water will reach?

To find the maximum height, we need to use the equation: v^2 = vo^2 + 2ad, where v is the final velocity, vo is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration (due to gravity), and d is the distance. Since we know that the final velocity is 0 at the maximum height, we can rearrange the equation to solve for d, which gives us d = vo^2/2a = (39.6m/s)^2/2(-9.8m/s^2) = 80.21m. Therefore, the maximum height the water will reach is 80.21m.

How do you calculate the horizontal distance the water will travel?

To calculate the horizontal distance, we need to use the equation: x = vot, where x is the final horizontal distance, vo is the initial velocity, and t is the time. We know that vo = 39.6m/s and t = 0.726 seconds (calculated in the third question). Therefore, the horizontal distance is x = (39.6m/s)(0.726s) = 28.73m.