Kinetic and potential energy of harmonic oscillator

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 11K views
masudr
Messages
931
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Use ladder operator methods to determine the kinetic and potential energy of eigenstates of the harmonic oscillator.

Homework Equations


[tex]H=\frac{p^2}{2m} + \frac{1}{2}m\omega x^2[/tex]
[tex]x=\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m \omega}}(a+a^{\dagger})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


So I squared x, and then substituted it in the expression for V:

[tex]\langle n | V | n \rangle[/tex]

I ended up getting [itex]V=\frac{1}{2}(n+\frac{1}{2})\hbar \omega[/itex]. This is one half of the energy expectation, so KE must be the same.

I just don't have any references with me to confirm if this is right. Can anyone tell me? Thanks in advance. I could write out what I got V as, if someone wants, but if the answer is right, there may not be much point.
 
Physics news on Phys.org