Kinetic energy and speed of system of charges (electric potential)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a square with charges at each corner, all with the same charge but different masses. The question is about the final velocities of the charges after they are released and move away from each other. The conversation mentions the equations for electric potential energy and kinetic energy, and suggests treating three of the charges as one distribution to determine the final velocities.
jpdelavin

Homework Statement

A square of side s has a point charge at each corner. They all have the same charge +q, but different masses, m1, m2, m3, and m4, respectively. Initially, all of the charges are held at rest until they are released. Of course, they would repel each other and move away from each other until they are very very far. What is their final velocities at infinity (i.e. a long long time after they are released)?

Homework Equations

Ui=kq1q2/r
KE=(1/2)mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the initial electric potential energy of the system is:

U=(kq2/s)(4+sqrt(2))

To conserve energy, I know that this should also be the total kinetic energy of the system at infinity.

Now, I don't know how to divide the kinetic energy among the charges. If I do this, I can get the final velocity using KE=(1/2)mv2.

Am I correct? Can you give any hints on how to divide the kinetic energy? Should I just divide it equally?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you think of any physical principles that might dictate how the energy is distributed? What else might be conserved, for instance?

momentum, perhaps? but that still would just leave me with two equations right, and i have four unknowns?

Try treating three of the charges as one single charge distribution. The energy of the fourth charge DUE to the distribution of the other three should be constant.

jpdelavin said:
momentum, perhaps? but that still would just leave me with two equations right, and i have four unknowns?
You are working in 2 dimensions, don't forget. Also think about symmetries.

It will also help if you set up your coordinates so that the charges are on the axes.

@Poley: Is this what you mean?

For particle 4 for example:
.5*m4*v4^2=q*(kq/a+kq/a+kq/(a*sqrt(2))

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated as half of the mass of the object multiplied by the square of its velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy related to the speed of a system of charges?

Kinetic energy is directly proportional to the speed of a system of charges. This means that as the speed of the charges increases, the kinetic energy of the system also increases.

3. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and is a measure of the potential energy that a charge would have if placed at that point in the electric field.

4. How is electric potential related to kinetic energy?

Electric potential and kinetic energy are both forms of energy. However, they are not directly related to each other. The electric potential of a system of charges can influence the motion of the charges, which in turn can affect the kinetic energy of the system.

5. Can kinetic energy be converted into electric potential?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into electric potential energy. This can happen when a charged particle is accelerated by an electric field, converting its kinetic energy into electric potential energy. This is the principle behind devices such as generators and batteries.