Kinetic energy, force, rotation

In summary: Yes, you can use that equation for part A. Remember to use the correct moment of inertia for a hollow cylinder.
mybrohshi5

Homework Statement

A light, flexible rope is wrapped several times around a hollow cylinder with a weight of 49.0 N and a radius of 0.27 m. The cylinder is attached by spokes of a negligible moment of inertia to a fixed horizontal axle coincident with the axis of the cylinder; the cylinder is free to rotate without friction about this axle. The cylinder is initially at rest. The free end of the rope is pulled with a constant force P for a distance of 4.95 m, at which point the end of the rope is moving at 6.25 m/s; the rope does not slip on the cylinder.

A)What is the change in kinetic energy of the hollow cylinder as a result of the rope having been pulled?

B) For the situation as described in the introduction, what is the value of P?

Homework Equations

v=rw

k = 1/2mv2 + 1/2Iw2

w = omega

ki + ui + Work = kf + uf

The Attempt at a Solution

i didnt know how to do part a so i just skipped to part B)

W = FD ----> W = P(4.95m)

W = kf

P(4.95m) = 1/2(5kg)(6.252) + 1/2(1/2(5kg)(.27m)2(6.25/.27)2)

P = 29.59 N

This is wrong though and i am not sure why. Also if i could get some help on part A that would be great.

Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
mybrohshi5 said:

Homework Statement

A light, flexible rope is wrapped several times around a hollow cylinder with a weight of 49.0 N and a radius of 0.27 m. The cylinder is attached by spokes of a negligible moment of inertia to a fixed horizontal axle coincident with the axis of the cylinder; the cylinder is free to rotate without friction about this axle. The cylinder is initially at rest. The free end of the rope is pulled with a constant force P for a distance of 4.95 m, at which point the end of the rope is moving at 6.25 m/s; the rope does not slip on the cylinder.

A)What is the change in kinetic energy of the hollow cylinder as a result of the rope having been pulled?

B) For the situation as described in the introduction, what is the value of P?

Homework Equations

v=rw

k = 1/2mv2 + 1/2Iw2

w = omega

ki + ui + Work = kf + uf
In the equation

[tex]K=\frac{1}{2}mv^2+\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2[/tex]

what does [itex]v[/itex] stand for? Don't just say velocity. The velocity of what?

The Attempt at a Solution

i didnt know how to do part a so i just skipped to part B)

W = FD ----> W = P(4.95m)

W = kf

P(4.95m) = 1/2(5kg)(6.252) + 1/2(1/2(5kg)(.27m)2(6.25/.27)2)

P = 29.59 N

This is wrong though and i am not sure why. Also if i could get some help on part A that would be great.

Thank you :)
Also, you're using the wrong moment of inertia. The key word is hollow.

V should be the velocity of the center of mass v_cm

i am not sure what moment of inertia to use then? would it be

I = mr^2

should i just be using K = 1/2Iw^2 instead of what i have?

thanks for the help :)

mybrohshi5 said:
V should be the velocity of the center of mass v_cm
Right. So what is the velocity of the cylinder's center of mass?
i am not sure what moment of inertia to use then? would it be

I = mr^2
Yes, all of the mass of the hollow cylinder is at a distance r away from the axis of rotation, so I=mr2.
should i just be using K = 1/2Iw^2 instead of what i have?

thanks for the help :)

1. What is kinetic energy and how is it calculated?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

2. How does force affect an object's motion?

Force is a push or pull that can change the motion of an object. It can cause an object to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction. The larger the force applied, the greater the change in motion will be.

3. What is the difference between rotational and translational motion?

Rotational motion refers to an object's movement around an axis, while translational motion refers to an object's movement in a straight line. In rotational motion, all particles of the object move in circles around the axis, whereas in translational motion, all particles move in the same direction.

4. How is torque related to rotational motion?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the axis of rotation. The greater the torque, the greater the object's rotational acceleration will be.

5. What factors affect an object's rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia is the resistance of an object to a change in its rotational motion. It is affected by the mass and distribution of the object's mass. Objects with a larger mass or a greater distance between their mass and the axis of rotation will have a greater rotational inertia.