What is the final velocity of the baseball after being hit by the bat?

In summary: Initially it has ke given by 1/2mu2. This energy is converted into kinetic energy (it is moving with a different velocity v) and work done by the bat. so applying the law of conservation of energy we will get 1/2mu2=1/2mv2+Wbat.So can you find 'v' given Wbat=76.5J and u=54.2m/s?
agadag

Homework Statement

A pitcher throws a 0.124-kg baseball, and it approaches the bat at a speed of 54.2 m/s. The bat does Wnc = 76.5 J of work on the ball in hitting it. Ignoring the air resistance, determine the speed of the ball after the ball leaves the bat and is 21 m above the point of impact.

Homework Equations

W = E - E0

The Attempt at a Solution

W = E -Eo
76.5=.5(.124)v2-.124(9.8)21
102.0192=.062v2
v = wrong answer!
Please help. I don't have a basics in physics, so please explain from an beginners standpoint.
Thankyou!

Physics news on Phys.org
agadag said:

The Attempt at a Solution

W = E -Eo
76.5=.5(.124)v2-.124(9.8)21
102.0192=.062v2
v = wrong answer!

where did you get 9.8 from? It told you 54.2 m/s was the initial velocity. Redo this part. For the second part you need to use projectile motion equations.

I used the eqn W=E-E0, since they gave us a non conservative value.
this can b furthere broken down to... 1/2mv2 -mgh. Thats where the 9.8 comes from. As far as projectile motion..how would i use it with no angles?

agadag said:
I used the eqn W=E-E0, since they gave us a non conservative value.
this can b furthere broken down to... 1/2mv2 -mgh. Thats where the 9.8 comes from. As far as projectile motion..how would i use it with no angles?

actually as I think about it now, you don't need to use projectile motion.

Initially

all you have is that that change in kinetic energy = work done by that bat.

the initial ke = 1/2m(54)2.

For the second part you need to use the part in red

Im confused. I got KE = 180.792. however, I am trying to find final velocity of the ball. i initially tried the eqn in red and it did not work for me. Can you please demonstrate?

agadag said:
Im confused. I got KE = 180.792. however, I am trying to find final velocity of the ball. i initially tried the eqn in red and it did not work for me. Can you please demonstrate?

Conservation of energy right

Initially it has ke given by 1/2mu2. This energy is converted into kinetic energy (it is moving with a different velocity v) and work done by the bat.

so applying the law of conservation of energy we will get 1/2mu2=1/2mv2+Wbat.

So can you find 'v' given Wbat=76.5J and u=54.2m/s?

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on an object's mass and velocity, and is a form of mechanical energy.

2. How is kinetic energy related to a baseball?

A baseball has kinetic energy when it is in motion, such as when it is thrown or hit. The faster the baseball is moving, the more kinetic energy it has.

3. What factors affect the kinetic energy of a baseball?

The kinetic energy of a baseball is affected by its mass and velocity. A heavier baseball or one that is traveling at a higher velocity will have more kinetic energy than a lighter or slower-moving baseball.

4. How is the kinetic energy of a baseball calculated?

The kinetic energy of a baseball can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is mass, and v is velocity.

5. Can the kinetic energy of a baseball be changed?

Yes, the kinetic energy of a baseball can be changed by altering its mass or velocity. For example, a pitcher can increase the kinetic energy of a baseball by throwing it faster, or a batter can increase its kinetic energy by hitting it with more force.