1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic energy of a Baseball

1. Sep 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A pitcher throws a 0.124-kg baseball, and it approaches the bat at a speed of 54.2 m/s. The bat does Wnc = 76.5 J of work on the ball in hitting it. Ignoring the air resistance, determine the speed of the ball after the ball leaves the bat and is 21 m above the point of impact.

2. Relevant equations

W = E - E0

3. The attempt at a solution
    W = E -Eo
    76.5=.5(.124)v2-.124(9.8)21
    102.0192=.062v2
    v = wrong answer!
    Please help. I dont have a basics in physics, so please explain from an beginners standpoint.
    Thankyou!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

where did you get 9.8 from? It told you 54.2 m/s was the initial velocity. Redo this part. For the second part you need to use projectile motion equations.

4. Sep 26, 2009 #3
    I used the eqn W=E-E0, since they gave us a non conservative value.
    this can b furthere broken down to... 1/2mv2 -mgh. Thats where the 9.8 comes from. As far as projectile motion..how would i use it with no angles?

5. Sep 26, 2009 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

actually as I think about it now, you don't need to use projectile motion.

Initially

all you have is that that change in kinetic energy = work done by that bat.

the initial ke = 1/2m(54)2.

For the second part you need to use the part in red

6. Sep 26, 2009 #5
    Im confused. I got KE = 180.792. however, I am trying to find final velocity of the ball. i initially tried the eqn in red and it did not work for me. Can you please demonstrate?

7. Sep 26, 2009 #6

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Conservation of energy right

Initially it has ke given by 1/2mu2. This energy is converted into kinetic energy (it is moving with a different velocity v) and work done by the bat.

so applying the law of conservation of energy we will get 1/2mu2=1/2mv2+Wbat.

So can you find 'v' given Wbat=76.5J and u=54.2m/s?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook