What is the Kinetic Energy Formula for a Satellite Orbiting Earth?

In summary, to find the kinetic energy of a 180-kg satellite orbiting the Earth with a period of 8.0 h, we can use the equation Ek = 0.5mv^2 and the given options. However, to calculate the radius of the satellite's orbit, we can use the equation Ac = (4π^2r)/T^2 and equate it to the acceleration caused by gravity, Gm(p)m(s)/r^2. With this, we can solve for r and then use v = d/t to find the satellite's velocity. Finally, we can plug in the values for m and v to find the kinetic energy, with an answer of 1.8x10^
skiing4free

Homework Statement

What is the Kinetic energy of a 180-kg satellite which circles the Earth (radius=6.4x10^6m, mass=6.0x10^24kg) with a period of 8.0 h?
a)2.2x10^9J
b)2.0x10^9J
c)1.8x10^9J
d)2.4x10^9J
e)3.6x10^9J

Homework Equations

Ep= GM1M2/r
Ek=.5Mv^2
Ac=(4[tex]\pi[/tex]^2r)/T^2
v=-[tex]\omega[/tex]^2r
Ep=Ek

The Attempt at a Solution

The radius that the satellite is orbiting is not given only Earth's radius, i tried to use ratios but this cannot work as the satellite is moving much faster than earth. Then i tried a guess and check method with the given options trying to cross check the speed. Eventually i got an answer of 1.8x10^9J which is correct. There must be a better method for calculating the radius of the satellite?

Physics news on Phys.org
not sure about your equations but hopefully this should help

Think about how the period & angular velocity are related

Then think about the force at work, ie the acceleration due to gravity causes the circular motion... can you equate something here to work toward a radius...

its sounds like an easy question and probably is but i keep getting confused with it, in answer to lanedance question, centripetal acceleration=angular velocity squared*radius

[tex]\omega[/tex]=[tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex]/[tex]\Delta[/tex]T

maybe its just me but i keep going round in circles...
(terrible pun i know)

Last edited:
so you have the angular velocity as you know it does 1 full revolution in 8hrs, centripetal accelaration equation looks good...

the key is the centripetal acceleration is the acceleration caused by gravity, so equate both terms and see what unknowns are left...

they told you time it takes for 1 rev, so if you know the distance [ circumference] and the time, you can find V, so just 1/2 mv^2

the orbit radius is not given in the question

hm, then I guess use Gm(p)m(s)/r^2 = m(s)v^2/r
you know G, the gravitational constant, you know the mass of the Earth and satelite..
theen, since you don't know v OR r, you can use v = d/t, so
Gmp/r = (r/t)^2, solve for r. once you know r, find v, then KE.

OK i get where you're coming from, pity is that these multiple choice questions have to be answered in 1.5mins each or else u don't finish the paper in time, and this was an easy question from the extended paper grrrrr

What is kinetic energy of a satellite?

The kinetic energy of a satellite is the energy that it possesses due to its motion in orbit around a larger body, such as a planet or moon. It is a form of energy that is associated with the satellite's mass and velocity.

How is kinetic energy of a satellite calculated?

The kinetic energy of a satellite can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is the mass of the satellite, and v is the velocity of the satellite.

Why is kinetic energy important for satellites?

Kinetic energy is important for satellites because it is the energy that allows them to stay in orbit. It counteracts the force of gravity pulling the satellite towards the larger body and keeps it in a stable orbit.

Can the kinetic energy of a satellite be changed?

Yes, the kinetic energy of a satellite can be changed by altering its mass or velocity. For example, by increasing the satellite's velocity, its kinetic energy will also increase, and it may enter a higher orbit.

How does the kinetic energy of a satellite affect its orbit?

The kinetic energy of a satellite is directly related to its orbit. A higher kinetic energy will result in a higher orbit, while a lower kinetic energy will result in a lower orbit. Changes in kinetic energy can also affect the shape and stability of a satellite's orbit.