Kinetic Energy of Rotating Square Metal Sheet

Multiplying by a factor of 2000 would give you the correct units, but that is not necessary.In summary, the problem involves finding the kinetic energy of a thin square metal sheet rotating at a certain speed around one of its diagonals. The solution involves using a definite integral to express the kinetic energy, with the area enclosed between two curves and a velocity formula. However, there are some minor simplifications and corrections that can be made to the solution.
IniquiTrance

Homework Statement

A thin square (4 ft side) metal sheet of homogeneous density ([tex]\sigma = M/A[/tex]is rotating around one of its diagonals at 10 rev/s. Develop a definite integral to express its kinetic energy.

Homework Equations

[tex]dK = \frac{1}{2}(r\omega)^{2}\sigma dA[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am using one side of the sheet, and plotting it as the area enclosed between:

[tex]y_{1}=x[/tex]
[tex]y_{2}=-x + 4\sqrt{2}[/tex]

[tex]0\leq x \leq 2\sqrt{2}[/tex]

Then:

[tex]v^{2}=(20\pi x)^{2}[/tex]

and my integral will be:

[tex]200 \pi^{2}\sigma\int_{0}^{2\sqrt{2}} x^{2}(-x + 4\sqrt{2}-x) \text{d}x[/tex]

This is half the total kinetic energy, by symmetry, so double the above should be the total.

Is this correct?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks pretty good, but I have 2 minor objections:

1. The term (-x + 4√2 -x) can be simplified.

2. The units in your expression,
https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/24/2416833-6.png
[/URL]
would be lb-ft^2, which is not a unit of energy.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is a scalar quantity and is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object.

What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotational motion. It is dependent on the moment of inertia and angular velocity of the object.

How is kinetic energy of a rotating square metal sheet calculated?

The kinetic energy of a rotating square metal sheet can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity of the sheet.

Can the kinetic energy of a rotating square metal sheet be changed?

Yes, the kinetic energy of a rotating square metal sheet can be changed by altering its moment of inertia or angular velocity. This can be achieved by changing the mass or shape of the sheet, or by applying a torque to change its rotational speed.

What factors affect the kinetic energy of a rotating square metal sheet?

The kinetic energy of a rotating square metal sheet is affected by its mass, moment of inertia, and angular velocity. Other factors that can also affect it include external forces such as friction and air resistance.