Kinetic Friction Coefficient Problem

In summary, to calculate the kinetic coefficient of friction between a block and a plank, the angle of the plank is gradually increased from 0 degrees until the block starts to slide down at 26.5 degrees. Using the kinematic equation, the acceleration is found to be 1.55 m/s^2. Plugging this into the formula F=ma, the mass of the block cancels out and the equation becomes sin(theta)g - cos(theta)gUk = a. After plugging in the values of theta, a, and the gravitational acceleration (g=9.8 m/s^2), the kinetic coefficient of friction, Uk, is calculated to be 0.322. However, it is important to
iamtrojan3

Homework Statement

A block is at rest on a plank whose angle can be varied. The angle is gradually increased from 0 deg. At 26.5°, the block starts to slide down the incline, traveling 3.10 m down the incline in 2.00 s. Calculate the kinetic coefficent of friction between the block and the plank.

Homework Equations

Uk = friction Coefficient
D = Vot + 1/2at^2
F= ma
kinetic Friction = cos(theta)*m*g*Uk

The Attempt at a Solution

First i used the kinematic equation to solve for the acceleration,
3.1 = 0 + 1/2a(2)^2
a = 1.55 m/s^2

Then with the acceleration i got here pluged it in the F= ma to get,
F = m (1.55)
F = sin(theta)*m*g - cos(theta)*m*g*Uk
Notice the m cancels out so i get

Sin(theta)g-Cos(theta)*g*Uk= a
g = 9.8m/s^2

I plugged everything in, theta = 26.5, a = 1.55, g = 9.8 and solved for Uk

Uk turned out to be -.352 which is wrong and makes no sense... but nevertheless, .352 is also wrong.

Any idea on what i did wrong?
thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe a calculation mistake?

Using
Sin 26.5 = .446
Cosine 26.5 = .895

I get a different answer.

The Sine component is larger than the observed acceleration, so it means that the result should be a positive value.

Check to see that you are not using radians on your calculator ... it's degrees. A common source of error.

Order of operation mistake... i got .322 which is correct.
Thanks again for your help!

1. What is the kinetic friction coefficient?

The kinetic friction coefficient is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact when one of the surfaces is in motion. It is denoted by the symbol μk and is a dimensionless quantity.

2. How is the kinetic friction coefficient calculated?

The kinetic friction coefficient is calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force between the two surfaces. Mathematically, it can be expressed as μk = Fk/FN, where Fk is the force of kinetic friction and FN is the normal force.

3. What factors affect the kinetic friction coefficient?

The kinetic friction coefficient is affected by several factors, including the type of materials in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants. The coefficient also varies with the velocity and temperature of the surfaces.

4. How does the kinetic friction coefficient differ from the static friction coefficient?

The kinetic friction coefficient is the measure of friction when two surfaces are in motion, while the static friction coefficient is the measure of friction when two surfaces are at rest. The kinetic friction coefficient is typically lower than the static friction coefficient for the same materials.

5. Can the kinetic friction coefficient be greater than 1?

Yes, the kinetic friction coefficient can be greater than 1 in certain cases. This can occur when there is a high coefficient of static friction and the surfaces are sliding at a low velocity, resulting in a larger force of kinetic friction. However, in most cases, the kinetic friction coefficient is smaller than 1.