Kinetic Friction: Calculating Force and Coefficient

In summary, the skier, with a mass of 60 kg, is sliding down a ski slope at a constant velocity on an incline of 11° above the horizontal direction. The force of kinetic friction acting on the skier can be calculated by using the equation Fr = μ*Nf, where Nf is the normal force and μ is the coefficient of kinetic friction. The normal force can be calculated as mg*cos(11), which is approximately 577.8N. The coefficient of kinetic friction can then be determined by dividing the force of friction by the normal force, which in this case results in a value of approximately 0.1943.
Bob Loblaw

Homework Statement

An 60-kg skier is sliding down a ski slope at a constant velocity. The slope makes an angle of 11° above the horizontal direction.
(a) Neglecting any air resistance, what is the force of kinetic friction acting on the skier?

(b) What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the skis and the snow?

Homework Equations

Fr = μ*Nf

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to calculate Nf from the information given as mg*cos(24) or 537.16N. Without knowing the force I was unable to answer the problem. Any ideas where to begin? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If he is sliding down with constant velocity, he is not accelerating as he would be if there were no friction, hence the force of friction is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the component of gravitational force parallel to the incline.

So I took mg*sin(11) which gave me 112.31 which is correct.

Now as I need to find the coefficient of kinetic friction between the skis and the snow. Using my equation, I tried Fr = μ*Nf where Fr is 112.31 and Nf was 537.16. I arrived at .021 which was not correct. Where did I go wrong?

Calculate the magnitude of your normal force again, I got a different answer.

Nomal force should be mg*cos(11) in this case. which would be 577.8. I tried using that in my equation and came up with .19 as the kinetic coefficient for part B which is still not the correct answer. Am I using the right equation?

I got 60*9.81*cos(11)= 577.79 N, keep a few more digits in calculation, by the way, and round at the end, especially since you are looking at small numerical answers.

0.1943 was accepted as an answer in web assign. Thanks for your help!

What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with another surface.

How is kinetic friction calculated?

Kinetic friction can be calculated using the equation Fk = μkN, where Fk is the force of kinetic friction, μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, and N is the normal force.

What is the difference between kinetic friction and static friction?

Kinetic friction occurs when an object is already in motion, while static friction occurs when an object is at rest and trying to be set in motion.

What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be affected by the roughness of the surfaces in contact, the weight of the object, and the type of material the surfaces are made of.

How can the coefficient of kinetic friction be determined experimentally?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be determined experimentally by measuring the force required to keep an object in motion at a constant speed and using the equation μk = Fk/N.