What is the Optimal Angle for Minimizing Work in Kinetic Friction?

In summary, the question asks what angle the rope should make with the horizontal in order to minimize the work done per unit distance traveled along the ground, given the relation tanθ = μk and the equation W = Fdcosφ. The attempt at a solution involves finding the derivative of tanθ = μk with respect to θ, setting it equal to 0, and using the condition that the second derivative of F = μkFN must be greater than 0 to find the minimum. However, there seems to be some confusion about the derivatives and an alternative method using the force equation.
patrickmoloney

Homework Statement

Using the relation ## tan \theta = \mu_k ## what angle should the rope make with the horizontal
in order to minimize the work done per unit distance traveled along the ground.

Homework Equations

## W = Fdcos\phi ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I found ## tan\theta = \mu_k ## by finding the derivative of a with respect to ##\theta ## and let it equal 0.

## a = \frac{F}{m}cos\theta - \mu_k (g - \frac{F}{m}sin\theta) = 0 ##

I think ## F = \mu_k F_N ## is a minimum when ## \frac{dF}{dx} = 0 ## and ##\frac{d^2F}{dx^2} > 0 ## . Is this correct? If so how do I use this?

Physics news on Phys.org
What rope ?

A case is being pulled along horizontal ground by means of a rope

patrickmoloney said:

Homework Statement

Using the relation ## tan \theta = \mu_k ## what angle should the rope make with the horizontal

Homework Equations

## W = Fdcos\phi ##

I found ## tan\theta = \mu_k ## by finding the derivative of a with respect to ##\theta ## and let it equal 0.

I think ## F = \mu_k F_N ## is a minimum when ## \frac{dF}{dx} = 0 ## and ##\frac{d^2F}{dx^2} > 0 ## . Is this correct? If so how do I use this?

Someone else just asked this exact question in the forum already, and we answered it there if you want to look at it.

proving ##tan\theta = \mu_k ## is the first part of the question. That is for a maximum not a minimum. The third part is 'what angle should the rope make with the horizontal in order to minimize the work done per unit distance traveled along the ground'

patrickmoloney said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

## W = Fdcos\phi ##

The derivatives should be with respect to θ, not w.r.t. x .

You most likely want the acceleration to be zero.

I get to ## F = \frac{\mu_k mg}{cos\theta + \mu_k sin\theta} ## and I don't think it's correct cause I'm not able to get an elegant derivative for it.

how would I go about differentiating the work ## W ## with respect to ## \theta ## ?

patrickmoloney said:
how would I go about differentiating the work ## W ## with respect to ## \theta ## ?

You would want to differentiate the force equation after you have written in terms of ##\theta##.

patrickmoloney said:
Work per unit distance traveled is Fcosθ , isn't it ?

That's a bit nicer looking expression.

Use maybe the quotient rule ?

1. What is Kinetic Frictional Force?

Kinetic frictional force is a type of force that opposes the motion of two surfaces that are in contact and moving relative to each other. It is caused by the irregularities in the surfaces and the interactions between them.

2. How is Kinetic Frictional Force different from Static Frictional Force?

Kinetic frictional force occurs when two surfaces are in motion, while static frictional force occurs when two surfaces are at rest. Kinetic friction is typically weaker than static friction and requires less force to overcome.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of Kinetic Frictional Force?

The magnitude of kinetic frictional force depends on the nature of the surfaces in contact, the force pushing the surfaces together, and the relative speed of the surfaces.

4. How is Kinetic Frictional Force calculated?

Kinetic frictional force can be calculated using the equation Fk = μkN, where Fk is the kinetic frictional force, μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, and N is the normal force acting between the two surfaces.

5. How does Kinetic Frictional Force affect the motion of an object?

Kinetic frictional force acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, causing it to slow down. This force is important in determining an object's acceleration and the amount of energy that is lost due to friction.