Calculating Pressure and Force from He Atoms Colliding with a Wall?

So you are on the right track, just need to convert grams to kilograms.In summary, the problem involves calculating the pressure and force exerted on a wall by a square box containing He gas at 25C. Using the equation PV=Nmv^2, and given the area of the wall, the speed of the atoms, and the collision rate of the atoms, the force can be calculated by multiplying the mass of a single atom by the number of collisions per second and the velocity. To convert the force to Newtons and the pressure to Pascals, the mass must be expressed in kilograms.
higherme

Homework Statement

A square box contain He at 25C. If the atoms collide with wall perpendicularly (90 degrees) at rate of 4.0E22 times/s, calculate pressure and force exerted on wall given area of wall 100cm^2 and speed of atoms =600 m/s

Homework Equations

PV=Nmv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure what the N is... the question doesn't give the amount of He gas, so how do i know how many atoms there are? and the same for m...
otherwise, i can find V from area given; velocity also given, then i can find pressure

Physics news on Phys.org
actually, for m, i can get from the molar mass and avogadro's number right?
but i still don't get what N is...

You don't need volume, gas density will be enough.

--
methods

higherme said:

Homework Statement

A square box contain He at 25C. If the atoms collide with wall perpendicularly (90 degrees) at rate of 4.0E22 times/s, calculate pressure and force exerted on wall given area of wall 100cm^2 and speed of atoms =600 m/s

Homework Equations

PV=Nmv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure what the N is... the question doesn't give the amount of He gas, so how do i know how many atoms there are? and the same for m...
otherwise, i can find V from area given; velocity also given, then i can find pressure

You could go to first principles:
.What is the momentum of one molecule on hitting the wall?
.What is the momentum when it bounces off?
.What is the momentum change?(remember momentum is a vector)
.Force is rate of change of momentum i.e.the total momentum change in 1 second so what is the force?

Dadface said:
You could go to first principles:
.What is the momentum of one molecule on hitting the wall?
.What is the momentum when it bounces off?
.What is the momentum change?(remember momentum is a vector)
.Force is rate of change of momentum i.e.the total momentum change in 1 second so what is the force?

ok, so the momentum of 1 molecule hitting the wall is mv(mass x velocity)
when bounce off, the v is going to be in opposite direction so, change in momentum will be
mv - m(-v) = 2mv

so force = 2mv / time ? is this correct?
I have no idea what's next ...

So this is what i have:

F = change in momentum /time
F = 2mv /t

velocity is given in the question=600m/s , time is given = 4.0X10^22 times/s
m is I'm guessing the molar mass?

higherme said:
So this is what i have:

F = change in momentum /time
F = 2mv /t

velocity is given in the question=600m/s , time is given = 4.0X10^22 times/s
m is I'm guessing the molar mass?
Your equation gives the change in momentum of a single molecule in one second i.e. the force exerted by the single molecule.If there were N molecules the total force would be
given by F=N2mv/t=2mv*N/t where N/t=number of collisions per second(4.0*10^22)

Dadface said:
Your equation gives the change in momentum of a single molecule in one second i.e. the force exerted by the single molecule.If there were N molecules the total force would be
given by F=N2mv/t=2mv*N/t where N/t=number of collisions per second(4.0*10^22)

okay, that makes sense. But i still don't really get how to find the mass of He, which has to be in grams right...?

does the number of collision equals the number of molecules of He? If so, then i can get the # of moles from avogadro's number. Then with the moles, i can get grams of He using molar mass of He... can i do that?

m = 4.0X10^22 molecules * (1 mol/6.022E10^23 molecules) * (4.003 g/mol) He
=.266 g He
can someone double check.. thanks!

m in the equation stands for the mass of a single helium atom which you can find from the mass of one mol of He divided by Avagadros number.To find F in N and P in N/m^2(Pa) you need to express m in Kg.

1. What is the Kinetic Theory of Gases?

The Kinetic Theory of Gases is a scientific model that explains the behavior of gases in terms of the motion of their molecules. It states that gases are made up of tiny particles that are in constant, random motion and that the pressure exerted by a gas is a result of the collisions between these particles and the walls of their container.

2. What are the assumptions of the Kinetic Theory of Gases?

The assumptions of the Kinetic Theory of Gases include that the gas particles are in constant, random motion, that the particles are point masses with no volume, that the particles do not exert attractive or repulsive forces on each other, and that collisions between particles and the walls of their container are completely elastic.

3. How does temperature affect the Kinetic Theory of Gases?

According to the Kinetic Theory of Gases, temperature is directly proportional to the average kinetic energy of the gas particles. As temperature increases, the particles move faster and collide more frequently with the walls of their container, resulting in an increase in pressure.

4. What is the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature in the Kinetic Theory of Gases?

The Kinetic Theory of Gases states that pressure is inversely proportional to volume and directly proportional to temperature. This means that as pressure increases, volume decreases, and as temperature increases, pressure increases.

5. How does the Kinetic Theory of Gases explain gas diffusion?

The Kinetic Theory of Gases explains gas diffusion as the result of the random motion of gas particles. Due to this motion, gas particles will eventually spread out evenly throughout a container, leading to the mixing and diffusion of gases. Diffusion occurs more quickly at higher temperatures due to the increased motion of the particles.