1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic Theory of Gases

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A square box contain He at 25C. If the atoms collide with wall perpendicularly (90 degrees) at rate of 4.0E22 times/s, calculate pressure and force exerted on wall given area of wall 100cm^2 and speed of atoms =600 m/s

2. Relevant equations
    PV=Nmv^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not really sure what the N is... the question doesn't give the amount of He gas, so how do i know how many atoms there are? and the same for m...
    otherwise, i can find V from area given; velocity also given, then i can find pressure

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2009 #2
    actually, for m, i can get from the molar mass and avogadro's number right?
    but i still don't get what N is...

4. Sep 20, 2009 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You don't need volume, gas density will be enough.

--
    methods

5. Sep 20, 2009 #4
    You could go to first principles:
    .What is the momentum of one molecule on hitting the wall?
    .What is the momentum when it bounces off?
    .What is the momentum change?(remember momentum is a vector)
    .Force is rate of change of momentum i.e.the total momentum change in 1 second so what is the force?

6. Sep 20, 2009 #5

ok, so the momentum of 1 molecule hitting the wall is mv(mass x velocity)
    when bounce off, the v is going to be in opposite direction so, change in momentum will be
    mv - m(-v) = 2mv

so force = 2mv / time ? is this correct?
    I have no idea what's next ...

7. Sep 20, 2009 #6
    So this is what i have:

F = change in momentum /time
    F = 2mv /t

velocity is given in the question=600m/s , time is given = 4.0X10^22 times/s
    m is i'm guessing the molar mass?

8. Sep 21, 2009 #7
    Your equation gives the change in momentum of a single molecule in one second i.e. the force exerted by the single molecule.If there were N molecules the total force would be
    given by F=N2mv/t=2mv*N/t where N/t=number of collisions per second(4.0*10^22)

9. Sep 21, 2009 #8

okay, that makes sense. But i still don't really get how to find the mass of He, which has to be in grams right...?

10. Sep 21, 2009 #9
    does the number of collision equals the number of molecules of He? If so, then i can get the # of moles from avogadro's number. Then with the moles, i can get grams of He using molar mass of He... can i do that?

m = 4.0X10^22 molecules * (1 mol/6.022E10^23 molecules) * (4.003 g/mol) He
    =.266 g He
    can someone double check.. thanks!

11. Sep 21, 2009 #10
    m in the equation stands for the mass of a single helium atom which you can find from the mass of one mol of He divided by Avagadros number.To find F in N and P in N/m^2(Pa) you need to express m in Kg.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook