Kirchhoffs law and capacitance

In summary: So the first independent mesh is the one containing R1 and R3 and the other containing R3 and R2?Wait, no, that's wrong. I'll think on it some more.In summary, Kirchhoff's laws are needed to solve for the current through the circuit, but the equation is not solved correctly.
Saraphim

Homework Statement

The problem considers the diagram in the photo that I have attached. Apologies for the poor quality, but sketching it on my computer would have been even worse!

a) Write down Kirchhoff's laws for the circuit and show that when the switch is closed, the charge on the capacitor Q behaves according to:
[tex]\frac{R_2}{R_1+R_2}\epsilon = \frac{Q}{C}+\left(R_3+\frac{R_1 R_2}{R_1+R_2}\right)\frac{dQ}{dt}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The current through the branch with the capacitor, [tex]I_3[/tex], can be described by dQ/dt.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, Kirchhoff's laws.

The node law says that [tex]I_1=I_2+I_3[/tex].

Then the mesh laws, I get three meshes:

[tex]\epsilon=I_1 R_1 + I_2 R_2[/tex]
[tex]\epsilon=I_1 R_1 + I_3 R_3+ \frac{Q}{C}[/tex]
[tex]0=I_3 R_3 + \frac{Q}{C} - I_2 R_2[/tex]

I'm fairly sure those are correct, however, I can't figure out how to combine these to show the differential equation given in the problem statement. I think I must leave out one of the relations obtained from the mesh law, but I have no idea where to start, or how to proceed in any sort of methodical way. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure I can work it out if I just get a nudge in the right direction!

Attachments

• diag.jpg
    diag.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 336
Physics news on Phys.org
Saraphim said:

[tex]\epsilon=I_1 R_1 + I_2 R_2[/tex]
[tex]\epsilon=I_1 R_1 + I_3 R_3+ \frac{Q}{C}[/tex]
[tex]0=I_3 R_3 + \frac{Q}{C} - I_2 R_2[/tex]

The circuit contains two independent meshes. Omit the third mesh equation, it is not independent from the previous ones. Use the equation I1=I2+I3 and the first mesh equation to get I1 in terms of I3. Substitute for I1 in the second mesh equation. Use dQ/dt for I3.

ehild

So the first independent mesh is the one containing R1 and R3 and the other containing R3 and R2?

Wait, no, that's wrong. I'll think on it some more.

I can't seem to find out which two meshes are independent. :uhh:

Any two ones. ehild

1. What is Kirchhoff's law and how is it applied in circuit analysis?

Kirchhoff's law, also known as Kirchhoff's circuit laws, are two fundamental principles in circuit analysis that govern the flow of current and voltage in a closed loop circuit. The first law, Kirchhoff's current law, states that the sum of currents entering a node (or junction) in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving that node. The second law, Kirchhoff's voltage law, states that the sum of voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. These laws are used to analyze and solve complex circuits, and are essential in understanding the behavior of electric circuits.

2. Can you explain the concept of capacitance and how it is measured?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is measured in units of farad (F), and is determined by the geometry and material properties of a capacitor. A capacitor consists of two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material. When a voltage is applied, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. The capacitance is directly proportional to the surface area of the plates and inversely proportional to the distance between them. It can be measured using a capacitance meter or by calculating the charge stored on the plates for a given voltage.

3. How do Kirchhoff's laws and capacitance relate to each other in circuit analysis?

Kirchhoff's laws and capacitance are both important concepts in circuit analysis and are closely related. Kirchhoff's voltage law is used to analyze the voltage drops across capacitors in a circuit, while Kirchhoff's current law is used to analyze the current flow into and out of capacitors. Additionally, the capacitance of a capacitor can affect the voltage and current in a circuit, and is often used in circuit design to control the flow of electricity.

4. What is the difference between series and parallel capacitors?

In a series circuit, capacitors are connected one after another, creating a single path for current to flow through. In this configuration, the total capacitance is less than the individual capacitances, and the voltage across each capacitor is the same. In a parallel circuit, capacitors are connected side by side, providing multiple paths for current to flow through. In this configuration, the total capacitance is the sum of the individual capacitances, and the voltage across each capacitor is the same. These differences in configuration have different effects on the behavior of the circuit and must be taken into account in circuit analysis.

5. How does the dielectric material used in a capacitor affect its capacitance?

The dielectric material used in a capacitor can significantly affect its capacitance. The dielectric constant, also known as relative permittivity, is a measure of how well a material can store electric charge. It is a dimensionless quantity, and the higher the dielectric constant, the greater the capacitance of the capacitor. Different dielectric materials have different dielectric constants, and this property is often used in designing capacitors with specific capacitance values for different applications.