Kirchhoff's Rule / finding unknown resistances and voltages

• Thread starter exi
  • Start date
In summary, Kirchhoff's Rule and Ohm's Law allow us to find the voltage across a cell. We first combine R2 and the 4 Ohm resistor, and ground the right side. Then we have two unknown node voltages that we can solve for.
exi

Homework Statement

Find the current passing through R1 and the voltage passing through the cell to the immediate left of R1.

R1 is 2 Ω, and R2 is 6.5 Ω.

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/9520/problem2ux3.png

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's Rule; Ohm's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure if I'm approaching this the correct way. What I had in mind was to do some mesh analysis while considering I(1) to be 3 A, doing Kirchhoff's for the bottom half of the circuit, finding I(2), and using Ohm's to find I through that 2 Ω resistor.

Little unsure about finding the voltage of that mystery cell, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd first combine R2 and the 4 Ohm resistor -- no need to keep them separate for this problem. Then ground the right side, at the - side of the 24V voltage source. You then have 2 unknown node voltages that you can write the KCL equations for, and once you solve for them, you have the solutions for the question.

BTW, instead of saying "the voltage passing through the cell to the immediate left of R1", it would be better to say "the voltage across the cell". Current passes through an element in response to the voltage placed across the element.

berkeman said:
I'd first combine R2 and the 4 Ohm resistor -- no need to keep them separate for this problem. Then ground the right side, at the - side of the 24V voltage source. You then have 2 unknown node voltages that you can write the KCL equations for, and once you solve for them, you have the solutions for the question.

BTW, instead of saying "the voltage passing through the cell to the immediate left of R1", it would be better to say "the voltage across the cell". Current passes through an element in response to the voltage placed across the element.

Well, that worked beautifully. I kept thinking I couldn't combine terms in the first part of the Kirchhoff's work for some reason; took me a second to realize that a voltage and the product of a current and a resistance value (Ohm's, anyone?) definitely are combinable.

My "duurrrrr" moment for the day, I suppose.

Thanks.

Related to Kirchhoff's Rule / finding unknown resistances and voltages

1. What is Kirchhoff's Rule?

Kirchhoff's Rule, also known as Kirchhoff's Circuit Law, is a set of two principles that describe the behavior of electrical circuits. The first principle, Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL), states that the sum of all currents entering and exiting a node in a circuit must be equal to zero. The second principle, Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL), states that the sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must be equal to zero.

2. How do I apply Kirchhoff's Rule to find unknown resistances and voltages?

To apply Kirchhoff's Rule, you must first draw a circuit diagram and label all known values for resistances and voltages. Then, you can use KCL and KVL to set up a system of equations and solve for the unknown values. KCL can be used to find unknown currents at a node, while KVL can be used to find unknown voltages around a closed loop in the circuit.

3. Can Kirchhoff's Rule be used for any type of circuit?

Yes, Kirchhoff's Rule can be applied to any type of circuit, including series circuits, parallel circuits, and more complex circuits with multiple loops and nodes. It is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis and is used to solve a wide range of problems in electrical engineering.

4. What is the difference between Kirchhoff's Current Law and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law?

The main difference between Kirchhoff's Current Law and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law is what they describe. KCL deals with the conservation of current at a node, meaning that the sum of all currents entering and exiting a node must be equal to zero. KVL deals with the conservation of energy around a closed loop, meaning that the sum of all voltages in a closed loop must be equal to zero.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions when using Kirchhoff's Rule?

While Kirchhoff's Rule is a powerful tool in circuit analysis, it does have some limitations and assumptions. It assumes that all components in the circuit are ideal, meaning they have no resistance or other imperfections. It also assumes that the circuit is in a steady state, meaning that all currents and voltages have reached their steady values. Additionally, Kirchhoff's Rule does not account for any non-linear elements in the circuit, such as diodes or transistors.