1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kirchhoff's Rule / finding unknown resistances and voltages

1. Jul 27, 2007 #1

exi

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the current passing through R1 and the voltage passing through the cell to the immediate left of R1.

R1 is 2 Ω, and R2 is 6.5 Ω.

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations

Kirchhoff's Rule; Ohm's Law

3. The attempt at a solution

Not sure if I'm approaching this the correct way. What I had in mind was to do some mesh analysis while considering I(1) to be 3 A, doing Kirchhoff's for the bottom half of the circuit, finding I(2), and using Ohm's to find I through that 2 Ω resistor.

Little unsure about finding the voltage of that mystery cell, though.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I'd first combine R2 and the 4 Ohm resistor -- no need to keep them separate for this problem. Then ground the right side, at the - side of the 24V voltage source. You then have 2 unknown node voltages that you can write the KCL equations for, and once you solve for them, you have the solutions for the question.

BTW, instead of saying "the voltage passing through the cell to the immediate left of R1", it would be better to say "the voltage across the cell". Current passes through an element in response to the voltage placed across the element.

4. Jul 27, 2007 #3

exi

Well, that worked beautifully. I kept thinking I couldn't combine terms in the first part of the Kirchhoff's work for some reason; took me a second to realize that a voltage and the product of a current and a resistance value (Ohm's, anyone?) definitely are combinable.

My "duurrrrr" moment for the day, I suppose.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?