Find I: Solving Electrical Circuits

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with a physics problem involving Kirchhoff's laws. The student struggles with understanding why certain variables are chosen and why arrows are drawn in a certain direction. Another user suggests using straight arrows on all lines and points out mistakes in the student's calculations. After correcting their mistakes, the student successfully finds the correct answer.
cdotter

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/1452/45481808.png

Find I at all branches.

Homework Equations

[itex]\sum I=0[/itex] for a junction.
[itex]\sum V =0[/itex] for a closed loop.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the solution but I don't understand why they chose certain variables like why the arrows are in a certain direction. From my understanding it's completely arbitrary but when I do it my own way I get a completely different answer.

Could someone tell me if this would give the correct answer?

The arrows and currents [itex]I_1[/itex], [itex]I_2[/itex], and [itex]I_3[/itex] are all drawn in by me.

[itex]I_3[/itex] = [itex]I_1[/itex] + [itex]I_2[/itex] per the junction law. I could then find I for the top inner loop and I for the outer loop, and solve the two simultaneous equations. The other two currents could then be found by back-substitution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi cdotter! :smile:

(btw, two h's in Kirchhoff! :wink:)
cdotter said:
I found the solution but I don't understand why they chose certain variables like why the arrows are in a certain direction. From my understanding it's completely arbitrary but when I do it my own way I get a completely different answer.

you should get the same answer whichever way you do the arrows :confused:

the only difference is that if you put say the I1 arrow the wrong way round, you get a result for I1 multiplied by -1 :smile:

but why are you using round arrows next to the wires? that's really confusing …

put arrows on the wires!

if you're still getting the wrong answer, show us your full calculations, and then we'll see how to help :wink:

I don't know, that's just the way my physics professor does it. :confused:

For the top inner loop:

[tex]10V-I_1 \cdot 3 \Omega -((I_1+I_2) \cdot 4 \Omega) + 5V - ((I_1+I_2) \cdot 1 \Omega) - I_1 \cdot 2 \Omega=0[/tex]
[tex]15V-I_1\cdot 10 \Omega - I_2 \cdot 5 \Omega=0[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow I_2=3A-I_1 \cdot 2[/tex]

For the outside loop:

[tex]10V-I_1 \cdot 3 \Omega - I_2 \cdot 10 \Omega - I_1 \cdot 2 \Omega=0[/tex]
[tex]10V-I_1 \cdot 5 \Omega - I_2 \cdot 10 \Omega=0[/tex]

Substitute in the top inner loop term:

[tex]10V-I_1 \cdot 5 \Omega - (3A-I_1 \cdot 2) \cdot 10 \Omega=0[/tex]
[tex]10V-I_1 \cdot 5 \Omega - (30V-I_1 \cdot 20 \Omega)=0[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow I_1= \frac{20V}{15 \Omega} = 1.33 A[/itex]

According to my textbook, this isn't right. It should be 1.60 A. Where am I going wrong?

cdotter said:
I don't know, that's just the way my physics professor does it. :confused:

yup, well this is what happens if you don't use straight arrows on every available line…

it's too easy to make a mistake, in this case you haven't noticed that the arrows are going the opposite way at the bottom of the outer loop! :redface:

try again, and in future i suggest you ignore your professor and go for the straight arrows! :rolleyes:

(alternatively, only use the loops with the round arrows on them, in this case the top loop and the bottom loop)

[PLAIN]http://img602.imageshack.us/img602/1452/45481808.png

[PLAIN]http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/8694/giflatex.gif

The answer is still wrong. It should be 1.60A. Where am I making a mistake?

edit: My algebra is a bit wrong. It should be 2.7A. Still wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

your 7ΩI1 should be 10ΩI1 :redface:

(btw, you don't have to do everything in cyclic order …

it's much easier to add the 2Ω to the 3Ω, and the 1Ω to the 4Ω, right at the start, and you're less likely to make a mistake if you do that! :wink:)

tiny-tim said:

your 7ΩI1 should be 10ΩI1 :redface:

(btw, you don't have to do everything in cyclic order …

it's much easier to add the 2Ω to the 3Ω, and the 1Ω to the 4Ω, right at the start, and you're less likely to make a mistake if you do that! :wink:)

You can do that even though they're on different sides of the voltage source? That would make it much, much easier.

Yup, so long as they have the same current through them! :biggrin:

I'm finally getting 1.6A! :biggrin: Thank you very much for your help and patience, tiny-tim.

1. What is the purpose of "Find I: Solving Electrical Circuits"?

The purpose of "Find I: Solving Electrical Circuits" is to provide a tool for scientists and engineers to solve for the current (I) in electrical circuits. It helps to determine the flow of electricity through different components in a circuit and can aid in troubleshooting and designing circuits.

2. How does "Find I: Solving Electrical Circuits" work?

"Find I: Solving Electrical Circuits" uses the principles of Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws to calculate the current in a circuit. It takes into account the resistance, voltage, and current values of each component in the circuit and uses mathematical equations to solve for the unknown current.

3. Can "Find I: Solving Electrical Circuits" be used for both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, "Find I: Solving Electrical Circuits" can be used for both DC (direct current) and AC (alternating current) circuits. It takes into account the different laws and equations that apply to each type of circuit.

4. Is "Find I: Solving Electrical Circuits" accurate?

Yes, "Find I: Solving Electrical Circuits" is accurate as long as the given values for resistance, voltage, and current are correct. It uses mathematical calculations to solve for the unknown current, so any errors in input values will affect the accuracy of the results.

5. Are there any limitations to "Find I: Solving Electrical Circuits"?

One limitation of "Find I: Solving Electrical Circuits" is that it assumes all components in the circuit are ideal and have no internal resistance. It also does not take into account non-linear components such as diodes and transistors. Additionally, it may not be able to solve for circuits with complex or multiple loops.