Kitt Peak Nightly Observing Program - First Time in a Dark Sky!

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Peak
In summary, the speaker is excited to be going to Kitt Peak for an observing program in a dark sky location. They mention it will be a nice change of pace from their recent long work hours and plan to say hi to Andromeda for others. They also ask for Phinds to not be too harsh on newbies while they are gone and make a joke about keeping his bone and using a rolled up newspaper if needed. The conversation turns to the subject of neutering and plans for a PF Star Party at either the Grand Canyon or McDonald Observatory. The speaker shares a past experience at McDonald Observatory with their space physics class. Yeehaw!
Drakkith
Mentor
I'm off to Kitt Peak for their nightly observing program. It will be my first time in a true dark sky location! A very nice change of pace compared to the 100 or so hours I've worked in the past 8 days. I'll say hi to Andromeda for everyone here!

P.S. Please keep Phinds from ripping the newbies to shreds while I'm gone. I've stashed his bone in the pantry next to the rolled up newspaper. Apply newspaper liberally if needed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:
I'm off to Kitt Peak for their nightly observing program. It will be my first time in a true dark sky location! A very nice change of pace compared to the 100 or so hours I've worked in the past 8 days. I'll say hi to Andromeda for everyone here!
TAKE ME!

P.S. Please keep Phinds from ripping the newbies to shreds while I'm gone. I've stashed his bone in the pantry next to the rolled up newspaper. Apply newspaper liberally if needed.
Has he been neutered?

Evo said:
TAKE ME!

*Throws Evo in his truck*
Let's go!

Has he been neutered?

I'm afraid to check...you do it.

You have to go to McDonald Observatory, Dark Sky Drive, Fort Davis, TX.

We need to do a PF Star Party, either at the Grand Canyon or McDonald Observatory.

My space physics class spent a couple of days and nights there, back in the good ol' days, with two 14-inch telescopes. Amazing viewing.

Drakkith said:
*Throws Evo in his truck*
Let's go!
YEEHAW!

I'm afraid to check...you do it.
Oh! Oh dear... :redface:

Related to Kitt Peak Nightly Observing Program - First Time in a Dark Sky!

1. What is the Kitt Peak Nightly Observing Program?

The Kitt Peak Nightly Observing Program is a guided tour of the Kitt Peak National Observatory in Arizona, known for its dark and clear skies. It allows visitors to use the observatory's telescopes to observe celestial objects, such as planets, stars, and galaxies.

2. How does the program work?

The program begins with an orientation and a brief presentation about the observatory and its telescopes. Visitors then have the opportunity to use the telescopes to observe various celestial objects. A trained guide will provide information and assistance throughout the program.

3. Do I need any prior knowledge or experience in astronomy?

No, the program is designed for both beginners and experienced astronomers. The guide will provide information and assistance, and the telescopes are easy to use. This program is a great way for anyone to learn more about astronomy and observe the night sky.

4. What can I expect to see during the program?

The objects observed during the program may vary depending on the time of year and weather conditions. However, visitors can usually observe planets, stars, galaxies, and other celestial objects. The guide will also point out interesting features and provide information about the objects being observed.

5. Are there any age restrictions for the program?

The program is open to all ages, but children under the age of 8 are not permitted to use the telescopes due to their delicate nature. However, children under 8 are welcome to attend and observe through the guide's telescope. Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.