Klein Four Group's action

• Thread starter ChrisVer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Klein
In summary, the conversation discusses the Klein Four group and its relationship to the dihedral group. The Klein Four group has 4 elements and can describe the reflective symmetries of a square. The dihedral group, specifically D(2), also has 4 elements and can be represented by rotations and reflections. Both groups have elements that commute with each other, making them isomorphic. For D(2), the rotation angle is 0 and 180 degrees, while the reflection angle can vary.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
Can someone please read the attached file and tell me his ideas? I want to be sure I understand the action of the Klein Four group...Is my interpretation correct?

I have some problem though. The Klein Four group has 4 elements, and it is able to describe the reflective symmetries of a square (as I interpreted it).
The dihedral group however, $D_2$ for example should be the same group right? (if I see the one $Z_2$ of the KF group as a cyclic group and the other $Z_2$ are reflection). $D_2$ however does not describe a square...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 499
Physics news on Phys.org
That should be easy to work out from the definition of dihedral group D(n): generators a and b with
an = b2 = e
a.b = b.a-1

Note what happens when n = 2. What is a-1 in that case?

Hi,

How is it connected to the dihedral group?

Because the D(2) is of order 4, and since it's not cyclic C(4) it has to be (at least isomorphic to) the Klein Four group?

[itex]D_2 = (e , a, b, ab) [/itex]
and [itex]a^2=e \Rightarrow a^{-1}=a[/itex]
So I wonder for n=2, there is no distinction between rotations and reflections (rotations are done by 180o)

I'll work out D2 or Dih(2). It has
a2 = b2 = e
a.b = b.a-1
But from the definition of a, a-1 = a, and thus, a.b = b.a. Thus, all the group's elements commute with each other.

The n = 2 rotation and reflection elements:
  • Identity
  • 180d rotation
  • Two reflections
They all commute with each other.

Rotation: $$ \begin{pmatrix} \cos \theta & - \sin \theta \\ \sin \theta & \cos \theta \end{pmatrix} $$
Reflection: $$ \begin{pmatrix} \cos \theta & \sin \theta \\ \sin \theta & - \cos \theta \end{pmatrix} $$
where θ is the rotation angle. For D2, it is 0 and 180d. In general, ## \theta_{rot}(k) = 2\pi k / n ## and
## \theta_{refl}(k) = \theta_0 + 2\pi k / n ## for k = 0, 1, ..., n-1, where θ0 is arbitrary.

I can confirm that your interpretation of the Klein Four group's action is correct. The Klein Four group is a finite group that consists of four elements, each representing a different type of symmetry. These symmetries can be visualized as reflections of a square, as you have correctly interpreted.

However, it is important to note that while the Klein Four group and the dihedral group $D_2$ both have four elements, they are not the same group. The dihedral group is a more general group that describes the symmetries of a regular polygon, not just a square. In fact, the dihedral group $D_4$ would be a more appropriate group to describe the symmetries of a square.

It is also worth mentioning that while the Klein Four group and the dihedral group $D_2$ both have two cyclic subgroups, they are not the same subgroups. The two cyclic subgroups of the Klein Four group are isomorphic to the group $\mathbb{Z}_2$, while the two cyclic subgroups of the dihedral group $D_2$ are isomorphic to the group $\mathbb{Z}_4$. This difference in subgroups reflects the difference in the underlying symmetries of the two groups.

In summary, your interpretation of the Klein Four group's action is correct, but it is important to distinguish between the Klein Four group and the dihedral group $D_2$ as they are not the same group and have different applications.

1. What is the Klein Four Group's action?

The Klein Four Group's action, also known as the Klein 4-group or Vierergruppe, is a mathematical concept that describes the symmetries of a square. It is a group of four elements that can be represented by the group table:

Group e a b c
e e a b c
a a e c b
b b c e a
c c b a e

2. How is the Klein Four Group's action used in mathematics?

The Klein Four Group's action is often used in geometry and abstract algebra to describe symmetries and transformations of a square. It can also be used to represent isometries (rigid motions) of the plane and to classify finite groups.

3. What are the properties of the Klein Four Group's action?

The Klein Four Group's action has several important properties, including:

• It is an abelian group, meaning that its elements commute with each other.
  • It is a finite group, with only four elements.
  • It is a non-cyclic group, meaning that it cannot be generated by a single element.
  • Each element in the group is its own inverse.

4. How is the Klein Four Group's action related to other mathematical concepts?

The Klein Four Group's action is closely related to other mathematical concepts, such as the dihedral group and the quaternion group. It is also a subgroup of the symmetric group on four letters, and can be represented by a subgroup of the general linear group over the field of two elements.

5. Are there real-world applications of the Klein Four Group's action?

While the Klein Four Group's action is primarily used in mathematics, it does have some real-world applications. It can be used in computer graphics and animation to describe symmetries and transformations of objects. It also has applications in cryptography, as it can be used to generate secret keys for encryption and decryption.