Knight and knaves and distant planet puzzle

In summary, the eight inhabitants of the distant planet are: Marge, Mel, Betty, Bob, Bill, Carl, Zeke, and Alice.Each of them knows their respective identities, with the exception of Bob, who is not a knave.The type of each of the inhabitants can be determined by their statements, with Zeke and Marge being knights and the other seven being knaves.
K Sengupta
A distant planet is inhabited only by knights and knaves. Knights always tell the truth, and knaves always lie.

Eight inhabitants of the planet: Marge, Mel, Betty, Bob, Bill, Carl, Zeke and Alice are busy at a conversation, when a visitor from a neighboring planet stops by and asks each of the eight inhabitants their respective identities. They say:

Marge: “It's not the case that Bob is a knave.”

Mel: “Bill is a knave.”

Betty: “Carl and Zeke are knights.”

Bob: “Neither Mel nor Bill are knaves.”

Bill: “Only a knave would say that Carl is a knave.”

Carl: “I know that Alice is a knave and Zeke is a knight.”

Zeke: “Of Carl and I, exactly one is a knight.”

Alice: “Zeke and Marge are both knights.”

Determine the type of each of the inhabitants from the abovementioned statements.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mel is a knight; all of the rest of are knaves.

This assumes that knaves can tell the truth so long as they do so in a compound statement and so long as the compound statement is false.

From Zeke's statement, we deduce that Carl is a knave. Then from Bill's statement we deduce that Bill is also a knave. Thus Bob is a knave and Mel is a knight. Thus Marge and Betty are knaves. Thus Alice and Zeke are also knaves.

It's a pretty easy puzzle.

Just a persnickity bit-- I don't like the way Carl's statement is phrased. It's arguable as to whether or not he's making a compound statement "X and Y", or two separate statements "X" and "Y". Assuming the former, everything's peachy. But assuming the latter, it's impossible. I know it's a sticky point of grammar, but the current phrasing translates to:

Carl: “I know that Alice is a knave and I know that Zeke is a knight.”

I would recommend changing it to:

DaveE

davee123 said:
Just a persnickity bit-- I don't like the way Carl's statement is phrased. It's arguable as to whether or not he's making a compound statement "X and Y", or two separate statements "X" and "Y". Assuming the former, everything's peachy. But assuming the latter, it's impossible.
I had the same persnickity problem with Carl's statement.

davee123 said:
I would recommend changing it to:

DaveE

I confirm having made the requisite amendment in the original post in conformity with the foregoing.

Last edited:

Related to Knight and knaves and distant planet puzzle

1. What is the "Knight and Knaves and Distant Planet" puzzle?

The "Knight and Knaves and Distant Planet" puzzle is a logic puzzle that involves two types of characters, knights and knaves, who live on a distant planet. Knights always tell the truth, while knaves always lie. The puzzle also includes a distant planet with two suns, one of which is blue and the other is red.

2. How does the puzzle work?

The puzzle presents a scenario where you encounter two inhabitants from the distant planet, labelled as A and B. You know that one of them is a knight and the other is a knave, but you don't know which is which. You are also given a statement from one of the inhabitants, and you have to determine if they are a knight or a knave by using logical reasoning.

3. What is the purpose of the puzzle?

The purpose of the puzzle is to test your logical reasoning skills and ability to solve complex problems. It also challenges your understanding of truth and deception, as well as your ability to think critically and creatively.

4. Are there different versions of the puzzle?

Yes, there are multiple versions of the "Knight and Knaves and Distant Planet" puzzle. Some versions may have more than two characters, while others may have different rules for the inhabitants' statements. There are also variations that involve different scenarios, such as a knight and knave on an island or in a castle.

5. Is there a definitive solution to the puzzle?

Yes, there is a definitive solution to the puzzle, but it may vary depending on the version of the puzzle. Some versions may have more than one solution, while others may have no solution at all. It is up to the solver to use logical reasoning to determine the correct answer.